Bowing to pressure: BIG W pulls controversial product from its online store

When enough people raise their voices, big companies can't help but take notice and make adjustments—it's the power of the people in action!

Recently, BIG W responded to a surge of customer criticism by pulling a controversial product from its online store.

The product in question? Kangaroo skin rugs, which sparked a heated debate among consumers and wildlife advocates alike.

The controversy began when BIG W listed kangaroo skin rugs on its website, which features a mix of in-store products and third-party seller items.

The skins, sourced from local kangaroos, were tanned and manufactured into rugs, with extra-large sizes priced at $122.95 and smaller versions at $73.95.

However, the decision to sell these items was met with a furious response from the public, particularly from those involved in wildlife rescue and conservation.

compressed-shutterstock_319529789.jpeg
Rugs manufactured from kangaroo skins were pulled from BIG W’s online store after public backlash. Image Source: Shutterstock / structuresxx

The move to pull the kangaroo skin rugs came after a concerted effort by wildlife carers and advocates who found the sale of such items deeply troubling.

Courtney, an Adelaide Hills Kangaroo Rescue representative, was among the vocal opponents who pressured BIG W into discontinuing the product.

She said, ‘Visually seeing a kangaroo pelt is quite distressing for a lot of people.’

BIG W responded to her and said, ‘We’ve listened to our customers and community and made the decision.’

Subsequently, a spokesperson from BIG W said, ‘In response to customer feedback and sentiment, we can confirm we have not sold any of this product and removed it from sale on Friday 26 April.’

Australia is known for its unique wildlife, and kangaroos are an iconic part of its natural heritage.

However, they are also at the centre of the world's largest commercial harvest of land-based wildlife, with an estimated 1.2 million kangaroos killed annually.

Kangaroos are not raised on farms; instead, they are hunted in their natural habitats.

While the primary market for kangaroo meat is domestic pet food, some of it is also sold for human consumption.

The Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia defended the practice, claiming that controlled shooting helps maintain kangaroo populations at sustainable levels and that utilising skins and meat prevents waste, turning them into valuable commodities.

Despite this argument, the kangaroo harvest remains a contentious issue, drawing comparisons to Japan's annual dolphin slaughter in Taiji.

The practice is sanctioned by the Australian government but has faced international criticism, leading to bans on kangaroo meat sales in places like Russia and California.

There is also mounting pressure on European countries to follow suit.

The debate extends beyond rugs to other products made from kangaroos, including leather used in sporting goods.

Major sports brands like Nike, Puma, and New Balance have phased out kangaroo leather in their soccer boots. Adidas is the only major manufacturer that continues its use, albeit at a minimal capacity.

A representative from Addidas said, ‘The share of kangaroo leather in our product material mix plays a minor role and is significantly below one per cent.’

‘We’ve been able to substitute kangaroo leather with other innovative materials in many products.’

Courtney and other wildlife advocates are now urging BIG W's parent company, Woolworths Group, to cease the sale of kangaroo meat in its stores.

She said, ‘If Woolworths took the time to look into the trade and why it's so inhumane they’d pull kangaroo products from their shelves.’

‘Kangaroos are incredibly complicated animals. They’re very social and they don’t do well by themselves.’

‘A joey will mourn the loss of its mother, and you will often see an orphan appearing very confused and scared,’ she added.

Woolworths Group has been asked if it plans to take kangaroo products off its shelves. The group has yet to respond.

This isn’t the first time Woolworths Group has been urged to pull a product from its shelves due to animal welfare-related concerns.

Recently, it has been urged to pull another product due to the industry’s alleged connection with monkey abuse. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• BIG W has removed kangaroo skin rugs from its online store after customer feedback and sentiment deemed the products controversial.
  • The decision came after wildlife rescuers and the public expressed distress over the sale of the skins, with some animals being protected by these same carers.
  • Australia's commercial kangaroo harvest is the largest land-based animal slaughter in the world, meant to control populations and utilise meat and skins for commercial products.
  • There is growing pressure internationally, including from animal rights activists and other companies, to stop the use of kangaroo products due to concerns about animal welfare.
What are your thoughts on the sale of kangaroo products? Should retailers be more mindful of the items they stock, considering the potential impact on wildlife and public sentiment? Share your views with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
This shows the ignorance of the average Australian about their own country. If the kangaroo were in danger of becoming extinct, I would be one of the first to jump up and down. They need to be controlled or they will become a pest and have done so many times. Why should good skins and good meat go to waste? Kangaroo meat is very healthy meat as it contains a lot less fat than beef or sheep meat. The skins are beautiful if tanned properly and no different to cow rugs or sheep skins on the floor.

This shows the ignorance of the average Australian about their own country. If the kangaroo were in danger of becoming extinct, I would be one of the first to jump up and down. They need to be controlled or they will become a pest and have done so many times. Why should good skins and good meat go to waste? Kangaroo meat is very healthy meat as it contains a lot less fat than beef or sheep meat. The skins are beautiful if tanned properly and no different to cow rugs or sheep skins on the floor.

The number of kangaroos laying by our roadside all over the country is much more distressing. Farmers losing millions because mobs are out of control. No doubt the people complaining have not had to deal with the problem. Just like crocodiles which are out of control. A future problem will be with the whales, they will become a problem to shipping. We no longer have a natural way of controlling numbers

City people have no idea of country life.
I understand their love of kangaroos but there needs to be control of numbers.
Its the same with camels, wild horses, etc. even more so than the kangaroo which is native to the country.
They have no qualms about sheep and cows being slaughtered for their own consumption, and these are at controlled numbers confined to farms.
Double standards don't you think

It’s called value adding. Humanely of course

hubby and I both grew up on farms and still have family who live on farms. Kangaroos are a major problem in our area, they cause a lot of damage on farms, eat a lot of pasture, break fences, cause havoc on the local roads, have even been seen hopping down some streets in town. Hubby grew up shooting kangaroos and rabbits for pet food and rabbits for human food. He also used to sell the skins to a dealer who used to tan them and sell them on for use in different products. Hubby also tried tanning some kangaroo skins, we still have two skins he did many years ago. Hubby has eaten kangaroo meat and likes it, I can’t bring myself to try it. We both used to enjoy eating rabbit stew, baked rabbit and rabbit fritters. Sometimes rabbit or kangaroo was the only meat a lot of farmers could afford to eat.

hubby and I both grew up on farms and still have family who live on farms. Kangaroos are a major problem in our area, they cause a lot of damage on farms, eat a lot of pasture, break fences, cause havoc on the local roads, have even been seen hopping down some streets in town. Hubby grew up shooting kangaroos and rabbits for pet food and rabbits for human food. He also used to sell the skins to a dealer who used to tan them and sell them on for use in different products. Hubby also tried tanning some kangaroo skins, we still have two skins he did many years ago. Hubby has eaten kangaroo meat and likes it, I can’t bring myself to try it. We both used to enjoy eating rabbit stew, baked rabbit and rabbit fritters. Sometimes rabbit or kangaroo was the only meat a lot of farmers could afford to eat.
Yes, as I said a large percentage of City people have no clue what goes on in the county.

I love a couple of well tanned Fox skins with the tails. Foxes are a big feral pest, I have seen them all over NSW usually eating road kill roos etc. I have even seen them in my street in Lake Macquarie checking out the garbage collections.

Reactions: Macarj
Kangaroos can be and often are a menace on farms when their numbers are allowed to increase without restraint. Culling is the way they have been controlled for decades. Why should they not be used for meat and skins? I think it's a case of the LOUD minority, AGAIN!

Reactions: SandyM and Macarj
Wallabies are a damned nuisance where we live.Sometimes we hear shots fired but l couldn't kill them.As for the meat l went to a local butchers for some chops and he sneakily added a kangaroo one to my purchase and l got it on my plate.l just couldn't eat it the meat is so strong.l haven't been to that butchers since.He knew what he was doing.

Reactions: DLHM and SandyM
‘We’ve been able to substitute kangaroo leather with other innovative materials in many products.’

Says the environmentalists. Would those "innovative materials " be derived from oil by any chance?

Hypocrites!!!

Says the environmentalists. Would those "innovative materials " be derived from oil by any chance?

Hypocrites!!!
Yep!