Beware of the new 'sick' funeral scam that preys on the grieving

In an era where technology has become integral to our lives, it's disheartening to see how it can be misused to exploit the vulnerable.

A new, brazen scam has emerged, targeting grieving families and friends during one of the most challenging times of their lives—the loss of a loved one. This scam preys on the emotions of those mourning, attempting to extract personal and financial information under the guise of charity.

The scam operates through the medium of funeral livestreams, which have become increasingly popular due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

These livestreams are posted to fake Facebook accounts, which provide a link for people to donate money to the grieving family and friends.

However, instead of the funds reaching the bereaved, they end up in the pockets of these unscrupulous scammers.

rhodi-lopez-Cxpqnzd3Psg-unsplash.jpg
A new type of funeral scam targets grieving friends and families of the deceased. Source: Rhodi Lopez/Unsplash

Australian Funeral Directors Association Chief Executive Dale Gilson expressed his disgust at this new scam, stating it was the 'lowest you can get'.

He said, 'It's one of the toughest times in their life, and then to have unscrupulous people out there attempt to request personal information, or to work towards funding their unscrupulous lifestyle.'

One such case involved the family and friends of South Australian man Bevan Thackeray, who passed away last month.

Ahead of his funeral, close family friend Sam Morena received multiple friend requests from different Facebook profiles, all attempting to exploit the situation.

Morena labelled the scam 'sick', stating, 'There was one I had received, I reported it immediately and deleted it, and I received another two within 10 minutes after that, and so did all my family and a lot of my friends.'

While the rise of such scams is alarming, Mr Gilson reassured that the association does not believe anyone has fallen victim to the scam yet.

He reminded mourners that funeral directors would never send a social media friend request or ask for financial details.

'People are becoming more aware of it, we're hearing of cases all across Australia, so it's important for everyone to be really vigilant,' Mr Gilson said.

If you or anyone you know has concerns, it's crucial to contact your funeral director immediately.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the only instance of this happening. Late last year, a similar scam was reported by a funeral home in Queensland.

The Callide Dawson Funeral Homes stated that people received friend requests from a fraudulent account that mirrored the funeral home's official page. The scam page shared the same funeral notice but included a live stream link that requested credit card information.

Margaret Fisher, a representative from the funeral home, expressed her dismay at the audacity of these scammers.

'We want our local community to know that Callide Dawson Funerals will never send you a Facebook friend request or request your personal details or ask for payment to participate in a live stream,' she said.

The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) has acknowledged the issue, with a spokesperson stating that the National Anti-Scam Centre is aware of reports of live streaming-related scams circulating on social media, including those targeting funeral live streams.

Key Takeaways
  • A warning has been issued regarding a new scam targeting mourners through fake Facebook accounts set up for funeral livestreams.
  • Scammers use the online platform to solicit personal and financial information by providing links to donate money to grieving families and friends.
  • The Australian Funeral Directors Association has condemned the scam as the 'lowest you can get,' exploiting people during one of the toughest times in their lives.
  • A similar scam was reported last year when criminals posing as the funeral home sent livestream links to the mourners that required credit card information.
  • Funeral directors advise being vigilant as they never send social media friend requests or ask for financial details through such platforms.

Have you or someone you know encountered such scams? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below to help others stay safe.

Sponsored
In an era where technology has become integral to our lives, it's disheartening to see how it can be misused to exploit the vulnerable.

A new, brazen scam has emerged, targeting grieving families and friends during one of the most challenging times of their lives—the loss of a loved one. This scam preys on the emotions of those mourning, attempting to extract personal and financial information under the guise of charity.

The scam operates through the medium of funeral livestreams, which have become increasingly popular due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

These livestreams are posted to fake Facebook accounts, which provide a link for people to donate money to the grieving family and friends.

However, instead of the funds reaching the bereaved, they end up in the pockets of these unscrupulous scammers.

View attachment 39254
A new type of funeral scam targets grieving friends and families of the deceased. Source: Rhodi Lopez/Unsplash

Australian Funeral Directors Association Chief Executive Dale Gilson expressed his disgust at this new scam, stating it was the 'lowest you can get'.

He said, 'It's one of the toughest times in their life, and then to have unscrupulous people out there attempt to request personal information, or to work towards funding their unscrupulous lifestyle.'

One such case involved the family and friends of South Australian man Bevan Thackeray, who passed away last month.

Ahead of his funeral, close family friend Sam Morena received multiple friend requests from different Facebook profiles, all attempting to exploit the situation.

Morena labelled the scam 'sick', stating, 'There was one I had received, I reported it immediately and deleted it, and I received another two within 10 minutes after that, and so did all my family and a lot of my friends.'

While the rise of such scams is alarming, Mr Gilson reassured that the association does not believe anyone has fallen victim to the scam yet.

He reminded mourners that funeral directors would never send a social media friend request or ask for financial details.

'People are becoming more aware of it, we're hearing of cases all across Australia, so it's important for everyone to be really vigilant,' Mr Gilson said.

If you or anyone you know has concerns, it's crucial to contact your funeral director immediately.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the only instance of this happening. Late last year, a similar scam was reported by a funeral home in Queensland.

The Callide Dawson Funeral Homes stated that people received friend requests from a fraudulent account that mirrored the funeral home's official page. The scam page shared the same funeral notice but included a live stream link that requested credit card information.

Margaret Fisher, a representative from the funeral home, expressed her dismay at the audacity of these scammers.

'We want our local community to know that Callide Dawson Funerals will never send you a Facebook friend request or request your personal details or ask for payment to participate in a live stream,' she said.

The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) has acknowledged the issue, with a spokesperson stating that the National Anti-Scam Centre is aware of reports of live streaming-related scams circulating on social media, including those targeting funeral live streams.

Key Takeaways

• A warning has been issued regarding a new scam targeting mourners through fake Facebook accounts set up for funeral livestreams.
  • Scammers use the online platform to solicit personal and financial information by providing links to donate money to grieving families and friends.
  • The Australian Funeral Directors Association has condemned the scam as the 'lowest you can get,' exploiting people during one of the toughest times in their lives.
  • A similar scam was reported last year when criminals posing as the funeral home sent livestream links to the mourners that required credit card information.
  • Funeral directors advise being vigilant as they never send social media friend requests or ask for financial details through such platforms.

Have you or someone you know encountered such scams? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below to help others stay safe.
Once again it’s only a scam if you fall for it!
If a family is asking for a donation to a particular organisation then donate directly to that organisation on their secure site not through any link provided on emails or any form of social media.
I have no sympathy whatsoever for anybody who clicks on links the makes payments or passes on private information.

Once again it’s only a scam if you fall for it!
If a family is asking for a donation to a particular organisation then donate directly to that organisation on their secure site not through any link provided on emails or any form of social media.
I have no sympathy whatsoever for anybody who clicks on links the makes payments or passes on private information.
BruceC I understand your point of view, but unfortunately we are not all Computer Savvy as some people. The other thing is that some of us are more guillable and trusting because they are that way by nature. There have always been Crooks, and people who just get their fun by ripping off unsuspecting victims.
There are so many false messages etc..that are worse than ever before.
Anybody who gets caught, feels badly
enough without criticism being heaped on top of it
The embarrassment of knowing, you have been ripped off is even
worse than losing the Money, or the item you were selling is Mammoth.

It's truly sad to hear about such scams targeting grieving families. When my friend's father passed away, they received suspicious emails asking for personal information under the guise of condolences. It's a despicable act that adds unnecessary stress during an already difficult time.

For those seeking guidance on how to protect themselves, I stumbled upon some helpful resources on https://newrestfunerals.co.uk/. They offer advice on navigating funeral arrangements and potential scams. Remember to stay vigilant and lean on trusted sources for support during moments of vulnerability.

Last edited: