Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Bag of lollies

compressed-Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 6.23.38 PM.jpeg
Image Source: Sharon Lisiecki/Facebook

Do you remember walking into the corner store with a handful of coins and coming out with a bag full of lollies? Back then, a simple 50c could buy you a white bag filled with all your favourite treats! What’s your favourite memory of buying lollies from the corner store?

Last edited:
My ex husband & I had 3 milk bars in the 90’s in Melbourne and spent hours making up bags of mixed lollies & bags of fizzoes that were only 1 cent each back then. We also spent a lot of time serving the kids while they made their choices! Very important choices they were too!

Reactions: Wandiwa
Oh yum! I didn't have a corner store nearby, as 45 min drive where I lived with my family. However, Fri afternoons my Mum would sometimes buy a bag at one of the many corner stores after she completed her weekly shopping. I would get a lift with other school kids into town with the school Principal in his station wagon. I would arrange to meet my Mum. Saturday my Dad(after a few beers at the pub) would also bring home a bag of lollies. Milk bottles, snakes, jelly babies and yes, very cheap 1 c each! Great memories, but many holes in my teeth!!!!!

Oh yum! I didn't have a corner store nearby, as 45 min drive where I lived with my family. However, Fri afternoons my Mum would sometimes buy a bag at one of the many corner stores after she completed her weekly shopping. I would get a lift with other school kids into town with the school Principal in his station wagon. I would arrange to meet my Mum. Saturday my Dad(after a few beers at the pub) would also bring home a bag of lollies. Milk bottles, snakes, jelly babies and yes, very cheap 1 c each! Great memories, but many holes in my teeth!!!!!
Approx a year ago was in Pingaring W.A. and bought a bag of mixed lollies similar to above , was surprised at the cheapness of them as were in a large bag !

Reactions: Cateyes
My parents had a general store in country NSW when I was late primary school and first couple of years of high school in the early to mid 1960s. For 6d ( sixpence = 6 pennies) you could get a sizeable bag of lollies: choc buddies and liquorice blocks were 4 a 1d ( 1 penny), most other lollies were 2 for a 1d, and cobbers and musk sticks were 1d each. When decimal currency was introduced in 1966, 6d became 5c and the bag of lollies became smaller, disappointing children everywhare!

Reactions: Wandiwa and Cateyes