Australia Post and Beyond Blue connect millions with free postcards

‘When we connect, we feel better.’ These simple words spurred an initiative centred on connection and mental health.

Did you know nearly half of us will experience a mental health condition in our lifetime? Feeling connected can make a difference. That’s why Australia Post and Beyond Blue joined forces to deliver over 16 million prepaid postcards to help people across Australia connect with each other.

‘It all started during the lockdowns in 2021 in a bid to help address the growing mental health crisis in Australia. We wanted to use our national network to connect more people with mental health information,’ said Jessie Downs, Australia Post’s Community Relations & Partnerships Manager.

‘Based on the wonderful feedback we received that year, we decided to keep it going.’

IMG_7337 (1).jpg
Here is the design of the community postcard. Image Credit: SDC

IMG_7336.jpg
Here is the flip side. Image Credit: SDC

According to data from the State of the Nation Report – Social Connection in Australia 2023, almost one in three people in Australia experience loneliness, while people in rural areas are more likely to feel lonely.

Haven't received a postcard yet? I found mine at my local post office.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post, in partnership with Beyond Blue, has expanded its mental health campaign to include a distribution of specially designed prepaid postcards to five million Australian households.
  • The campaign, which includes every regional and rural home across Australia, is aimed at encouraging community connection and supporting mental wellbeing.
  • Recipients will receive a two-part 'Connection Postcard' with one part containing important mental health information and the second part being a detachable prepaid postcard to send to someone they care about.
  • The campaign comes as research indicates nearly one in three Australians struggle with loneliness, and aims to foster genuine connections through the simple act of sending a personalised postcard, while promoting mental health awareness and the services of Beyond Blue.

There has never been a more important time to talk openly about mental health. David is a Beyond Blue volunteer who encourages people across Australia to connect with their friends, family, communities, and culture and to have open conversations about mental health.

In the video below, David shares how connecting and talking about his mental health condition has been a big part of his recovery.

Members, will you take on the challenge and send a postcard this May?

Sponsored
I do a bit better than that. I give a monthly donation to 3 charities including Beyond Blue and I love the front of this card. I hope I get one.
We also have 3 charities we have been supporting over 40 years and children in poor countries we support

What a waste of money.
I have 3 kids with varying mental health issues and I'd rather pick up the phone to call them than sending a generic postcard

Reactions: Liz
I do a bit better than that. I give a monthly donation to 3 charities including Beyond Blue and I love the front of this card. I hope I get one.
I did get it, love it and going to be really mean.... I'm keeping it for me. My friends already know I give to Beyond Blue.
I did get one and I'm going to be really mean and keep it for myself. I love it. Thank you BB and Postie xx