Australia bids farewell to entertainment icon Bert Newton

One of the biggest personalities on Australian television, Bert Newton, died on Saturday at the age of 83, after a long battle with a number of illnesses, including a toe infection that saw his leg amputated from the knee down.

The entertainment legend was affectionately known as “Moonface”, and was a Logie Hall of Fame inductee, quadruple Gold Logie-winning entertainer and radio, theatre and television personality and presenter.

Although working for all TV networks, he was intrinsically linked to the Nine Network through his three-decade partnership with fellow kings of Aussie TV, Graham Kennedy and Don Lane.

l5kErvFyMr7BApzf6qe4REW9YBd2oG-VpBNnEUcVilGn2KRqFUZGF4dSQjaYm3owcTUfWV2SBatFqjbm87_ZpepRjj9Gn5BDp3SvfPI6Y9DZtLoX0JcSl964yQZYTzkDF8DPKf6M

Newton's career, which earned him an AM and MBE, also spanned radio and theatre. Photo by David Caird.
The icon’s health concerns started in 2012 when he underwent a quadruple bypass.

In the following years, he was hospitalised three times with pneumonia and was also diagnosed with anaemia.

After his toe got infected before Christmas, Bert returned to the hospital in March and underwent surgery on his leg in May. The infection was caused by diabetes, and doctors told him the surgery was a 'life or death decision'.

Bert Newton's beloved wife, Patti, revealed that she believes Bert did not want her to see his final breath - in a final act of selflessness.

“I left [the clinic where Bert was in palliative care] at ten past seven, and I was just pulling around to come into my drive and I got the call to say he'd taken his last breath at 7:22 PM,” she said.

Her husband of 47 years passed away some 12 minutes after she left him that evening.

“I missed him, but maybe he didn't want me to be there for his last breath.”

“It's very, very devastating. All our hearts are breaking because he was just the most wonderful man. He had such a fabulous attitude. And he gave us so much joy right up to the end,” she continued.

The former singer and dancer said Bert held his humour until the end, regularly saying he could replace current stars on their respective shows.

“All he could talk about was things that he had in mind,” she said. '"I'd be good at that, I wonder how I'd go at doing Eddie's show if ever he wants to take a break."

“I used to laugh because I'd think you're 83, you've got one leg, how would you go up and down the stairs?"

“But I love that attitude of his, he was never going to give up and that's what we have to take with us.”

“We have to just make sure that the love he gave us stays with us forever.”

Patti said she hoped her late husband 'will be remembered for the legend that he was'.

0dxkjQDr-EuGUeIqZPoj4v2CxXowQuPc8i73NEAXTnmSo1w-c77kZgmY_v_ObvGu0nQ37Rsk59tMZalWZ-NHA8r55f6MMhyt6_t5rrvkMNLe5cz9hGvuCgMRxBf2FzX_rmcEXuY7

Bert married his wife Patti in 1974 and had two children: son Matthew and daughter Lauren. Photo retrieved from The Australian.
As the nation mourns his death, the Premier of Victoria, Daniel Andrews, issued a statement and confirmed the icon will be given a state funeral.

“Bert Newton was an icon, a larrikin and a born entertainer. We have never known TV without Bert – he was there from the beginning. From black and white to colour – as TV changed, Bert endured,” he said.

“He lived his life on the silver screen — and we welcomed his wit and humour into our homes.”

“As we reflect on his legacy in the coming days, we'll all be reminded of his legendary partnerships with Graham Kennedy and Don Lane. For so many, those partnerships are as inseparable as they are memorable.”

“He brought the Logies to life during TV's golden era. And while the TV was always his anchor, Bert was also a star on radio and the stage — performing in some of our most iconic musicals including Phantom of the Opera and the Rocky Horror Picture Show among others.”

“But above all his achievements, he was a family man and his greatest partnership was with his wife of almost 50 years, Patti. Our thoughts and prayers are with her, their children and their grandchildren.”

“We will all have an opportunity to honour his memory, his talent and his achievements at a state funeral - details will be shared in the coming days. Bert will live on in the memories of an entire generation. Gone, but never forgotten. Vale Bert Newton.”

Details of the state funeral will be shared in the coming days, but the service will most likely be held at Bert's 'beloved' St Pat's Cathedral in Melbourne.
Tributes have been pouring in since the news of Newton’s death was announced.

"Australia loved Bert. There will never be another like him," Prime Minister Scott Morrison wrote in a statement on Saturday evening. "Bert Newton was from the golden era of television when we all seemed to watch the same thing… There was a familiarity that connected us to Bert, but it also connected us to each other. We could laugh together. That was his gift.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Judio
Sponsored
We grew up with Bert and the other giants of TV. He was part of our lives for so many years. Sorely missed, God Bless you. :cry:

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer