Ask Joy: Who said that laughter is the best medicine?

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by retired psychologist/ member @Joy Straw.

The aphorism ‘laughter is the best medicine’ has been attributed to the book of Proverbs in the Old Testament: ‘A merry heart doeth good like a medicine, but a broken spirit, dry the bones.’

This ancient wisdom might also hold true for some medical conditions.

‘Laughter enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.’ — Mayo Clinic.

The bottom line: Laughing increases the brain's production of endorphins – the natural way your body relieves pain, reduces stress and boosts mood. Laughing also increases your intake of oxygen-rich air and blood flow and circulation, which can improve brain health. Have belly laughs with others to reap the benefits of laughter and staying social.

shutterstock_2113058915 (1).jpg
When did you last laugh? Image Credit: Shutterstock

‘Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.’ – Victor Hugo.

Benefits

Laughter can have a positive effect on the whole body, decreasing stress, oxygenating the blood flowing to the heart and brain and releasing endorphins that reduce pain.

Physical health benefits
  • Boosts immunity
  • Lowers stress hormones
  • Decreases pain
  • Relaxes your muscles
  • Prevents heart disease

Mental health benefits
  • Adds joy and zest to life
  • Eases anxiety and tension
  • Relieves stress
  • Improves mood
  • Strengthens resilience

Social Benefits
Strengthens relationships:
  • Attracts others to us
  • Enhances teamwork
  • Helps defuse conflict
  • Promotes group bonding

shutterstock_335751920 (1).jpg
Laughter is best when shared. Image Credit: Shutterstock.

‘Negative thoughts manifest into chemical reactions that can affect your body by bringing more stress into your system and decreasing your immunity. By contrast, positive thoughts can actually release neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more serious illnesses.’ — Mayo Clinic.

Sponsored
Fantastic article Joy. I’ve always believed in the positive power of laughter & my husband, our friends & myself share a lot of fun and laughter. One of my sisters-in - law never laughs & doesn’t appreciate her husband sharing a joke with us. I find her rather depressing especially when coupled with her vast medical knowledge which is always wrong. I really wish people would lighten up, life throws a lot of challenges our way as we age and a smile costs nothing.