‘This is way more exciting’: Shopper scores $145.60 worth of chicken for FREE at Woolworths

In online shopping, sometimes the unexpected happens, and it can be surprisingly delightful.

This was certainly the case for one Woolworths shopper who, through a twist of fate and a bit of digital serendipity, scored $145.60 worth of chicken without spending an extra cent.

It's a tale that has since gone viral, causing quite a stir among bargain hunters and savvy shoppers alike.

The story begins with a simple online order: two packs of diced chicken breasts priced at $13 each. But when the specific chicken the customer had ordered wasn't available, they made a substitution.

The customer received a whopping 16 trays of chicken breast, totalling $145.60, all for the price of the original $26 order.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 9.14.54 AM.png
Woolworths substituted a shopper’s $26 order for a $145.60 worth of chicken breast for free. Credit: Facebook

The lucky customer took to social media to share her windfall, writing, 'I mean… if they actually fulfilled it that way, that’s a markdown.'

The post quickly captured the attention of the online community, with hundreds of users chiming in, eager to find out if Woolworths would honour this unexpected bounty.

The excitement was palpable, with comments ranging from 'Bold and the Beautiful can wait, this is way more exciting,' to 'Following because I’m nosey lol.'

The incident sparked a flurry of other shoppers sharing their tales of surprising substitutions.

‘I got 1kg of mince after ordering 500g this week, and I thought that was good!’ one said.

Another ended up with $92 worth of lamb instead of the $20 pack they had purchased, saying, ‘They did the same to me today!’

‘That beats my eight bananas that ended up being 8kg when it arrived—it was their mistake, not mine!’ a third added.

'Hope you have a big freezer!' a fourth advised.

In the end, thanks to Woolworths, the customer did indeed get to keep the 16 trays of chicken.

A Woolworths spokesperson said, 'It looks like a case of “winner winner chicken dinner” for this customer after a picking and computer input error in store.’

‘We hope she’s able to dine out on the extra chicken for meals with family and friends.'

This might be a reminder that while technology can sometimes be daunting, it can also lead to unexpected benefits.

Who knows, your next online grocery order could come with a surprise that turns your weekly meal planning into a feast fit for a king or queen.

In a similar story, a Coles shopper scored eight chicken roasts for $1 each.

What was her secret to get this bargain? You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer received $145.60 worth of chicken breast for free due to an online order substitution.
  • The shopper originally ordered two packs of diced chicken breast totalling $26 but was instead given 16 trays of chicken.
  • The social media post about the substitution generated a lot of excitement and responses from other social media users.
  • Woolworths acknowledged the mistake as a picking and computer input error and hoped the customer would enjoy the extra meat.
Have you ever received an unexpected upgrade on your order? Or perhaps you've encountered a hiccup that turned into a happy accident? Share your stories in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy and Liag
Sponsored
Yesterday I was in Coles and in the freezer at the end of the aisle I got 2 Gym Bod ice creams for $1 each normally $10.50
I also got Streets Blue Ribbon Duo Ice Cream Tub | 2L normally $6.50 for $1