Woolies to replace beloved mud cake with “Spudcake”

As the month of April rolled in, Woolworths took to their official TikTok account to surprise shoppers with a ‘new cake item’ that was set to replace their crowd-favourite mud cakes.

However, the news seemed to have left many fans in shock and disbelief.

In a video that has clocked more than 1.5 million views since posting, the supermarket giant revealed that they were going to remove one of their most popular cake products on the shelves – and were replacing it with a “more health-conscious” version.

KEHNHr-SIhSAim3xKX_kMbCC5Yl9vjNrMu4Xi8Bb2IvAm477pagjNXi2WWwy2UZu7gFOhiMsX6pkVIgZzDW3x2jt4fMkrh2DszZWbS_ykfdvoUj61UnPNNZwBC_QCdOva9Q1ljqP

Woolworths was said to be giving their popular mud cakes an “update”. Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au.
Liam Kirley, who runs the supermarket’s official TikTok page, shared a video announcement explaining that the store’s popular mud cakes were getting an “update” – then he introduced the “Spudcake”.

Instead of the usual decadent cake base that many Aussies have loved in mud cakes, Woolies were to replace it with mashed potatoes in the all-new Spudcake.

In the now-viral TikTok video, Liam assured shoppers that the new cake item will still be covered in their iconic chocolate ganache.

He then concluded the clip by saying: “Don’t say Mud Cakes say Spudcakes, only at Woolworths,” followed with a wink.

Hundreds of Woolies fans who had seen the video that day expressed their shock and disappointment over the sudden news, with most of them saying they couldn’t believe the supermarket was replacing one of their most popular products.

However, it wasn’t much until later that day that they came to notice one missed detail – the video was posted on April 1, which meant it was all an elaborate prank played by Woolies.

Liam’s convincing acting skills, together with the supermarket’s efforts to have a branded “spudcake” product, had thousands of their followers fooled. Later in the day, Woolies admitted that it was all a spoof in the comments section.

“Got you! Yes, we just pulled off the best April Fools joke ever. The Spudcake will not be available for purchase.”

A spokesperson for the supermarket has also made a statement, clarifying the confusion.

“Our chocolate mud cake is a beloved family favourite – and customers will be relieved to know it isn’t going anywhere,” they said.

“As is the April Fool’s tradition, the jig was up by midday and we came clean to customers in the comments section, letting them know it was all a joke.”

Hundreds of Woolies fans admitted they were “scared for a second”, and now they’re demanding that the store also issues an “apology video”.

“I nearly had a heart attack,” wrote one user. Another commented: “Don't you dare play us like this ever again! EVER! Apologise RIGHT NOW!”

Meanwhile, there are some users who actually want to try the potato cake, even though Woolies was only joking about it.

“I know you’re messing with me because it’s April Fools, but I still want this cake. Even if it’s just once,” said one user.

What do you think, members?

Should Woolies go ahead and make a real “Spudcake”? Or would you prefer they stick with the all-time classic mud cakes?

Sponsored

As the month of April rolled in, Woolworths took to their official TikTok account to surprise shoppers with a ‘new cake item’ that was set to replace their crowd-favourite mud cakes.

In a video that has clocked more than 1.5 million views since posting, the supermarket giant revealed that they were going to remove one of their most popular cake products on the shelves – and were replacing it with a “more health-conscious” version.

KEHNHr-SIhSAim3xKX_kMbCC5Yl9vjNrMu4Xi8Bb2IvAm477pagjNXi2WWwy2UZu7gFOhiMsX6pkVIgZzDW3x2jt4fMkrh2DszZWbS_ykfdvoUj61UnPNNZwBC_QCdOva9Q1ljqP

Woolworths was said to be giving their popular mud cakes an “update”. Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au.
Liam Kirley, who runs the supermarket’s official TikTok page, shared a video announcement explaining that the store’s popular mud cakes were getting an “update” – then he introduced the “Spudcake”.

Instead of the usual decadent cake base that many Aussies have loved in mud cakes, Woolies were to replace it with mashed potatoes in the all-new Spudcake.

In the now-viral TikTok video, Liam assured shoppers that the new cake item will still be covered in their iconic chocolate ganache.

He then concluded the clip by saying: “Don’t say Mud Cakes say Spudcakes, only at Woolworths,” followed with a wink.

Hundreds of Woolies fans who had seen the video that day expressed their shock and disappointment over the sudden news, with most of them saying they couldn’t believe the supermarket was replacing one of their most popular products.

However, it wasn’t much until later that day that they came to notice one missed detail – the video was posted on April 1, which meant it was all an elaborate prank played by Woolies.

Liam’s convincing acting skills, together with the supermarket’s efforts to have a branded “spudcake” product, had thousands of their followers fooled. Later in the day, Woolies admitted that it was all a spoof in the comments section.

“Got you! Yes, we just pulled off the best April Fools joke ever. The Spudcake will not be available for purchase.”

A spokesperson for the supermarket has also made a statement, clarifying the confusion.

“Our chocolate mud cake is a beloved family favourite – and customers will be relieved to know it isn’t going anywhere,” they said.

“As is the April Fool’s tradition, the jig was up by midday and we came clean to customers in the comments section, letting them know it was all a joke.”

Hundreds of Woolies fans admitted they were “scared for a second”, and now they’re demanding that the store also issues an “apology video”.

“I nearly had a heart attack,” wrote one user. Another commented: “Don't you dare play us like this ever again! EVER! Apologise RIGHT NOW!”

Meanwhile, there are some users who actually want to try the potato cake, even though Woolies was only joking about it.

“I know you’re messing with me because it’s April Fools, but I still want this cake. Even if it’s just once,” said one user.

Should Woolies go ahead and make a real “Spudcake”? Or would you prefer they stick with the all-time classic mud cakes?

Wonderful. I hadn’t seen any April’s fool day tricks and was beginning to believe we had all lost our sense of humour.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
Why not?
We make carrot cake, pumpkin cake, zucchini cake, chocolate cake using beetroot, carrot and parsnip cake.
I've seen a recipe for chocolate cake using mashed potato with caramel icing.
I recall Martha Gardiner giving a recipe for Boston Bun over the radio, years ago, using mashed potato.
She said it makes the bun ultra moist, light and fluffy.
Still haven't made it, though.

Reactions: Ricci

MUD CAKE all the way. They would be FOOLS 🤣to play around with their product. It beats Coles mud cake hands down😎

Reactions: Ricci
Nice to have some fun and see staff with a sense of humour. After 2 long years with not much joy it was great to see, especially the comments.

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci