Woolies shopper shares little-known trolley feature that prevents heavy groceries from escaping!

Here at the SDC, we’re always working to bring you hacks guaranteed to improve your shopping experience, like this Kmart price check hack which many of you seemed to love!

Now we’re back with another little-known trick, and this one is for the Woolworths trolley.

Picture this, you’re loading your shopping into the car, and your trolley decides to go for a stroll. The only way to stop the seemingly sentient grocery carrier is to hold your foot out. While this works, it means you have to load your groceries in at a horrible angle, causing unnecessary muscle aches and taking sweet time. Sounds familiar doesn’t it?

Well with this hack, your shopping experience is all about to change. One TikTok user shared that she never knew that the trolleys at her local Woolies had a foot brake which can be used to stop it from rolling away.

ZqO-TmraqhlrUivuNkO3hivFUMDCnqnzYZAscRX5uACHIbcUQII_bw6hQ4ks8tkRbHCk0R6XeBwI-AWHag8hU3s6vmbCk4vx8hO6VTbXPUxVbpd4n3k5FoOUdPr5HsuN0g8g_yik

One Woolies shopper shared that she was not aware the trolleys have a foot brake. Credit: TikTok/@mikhaelapaiges.

“I think I’ve been living under a rock for the past 26 years,” said Mikhaela, as she demonstrated how to use the clever feature.

In the clip, Mikhaela used her foot to press down on a red lever just above the rear right-hand wheel of the trolley. This activates the brake which stopped the cart from moving.

To release, she simply lifted the lever back up again using her foot, allowing the wheels to turn again.

“Please tell me I’m not alone!!” the shopper said, and several viewers agreed with her.

“You’re not alone,” said one woman, while another person wrote: “Never knew, I will be looking next time.”

However, some people also pointed out that the feature has been around for quite a while and not every Woolworths store has them.

“Only some shops have them, not all, but I think all trolleys should have them,” said one shopper.

According to 7NEWS, the foot brake was made for Woolworths branches that have sloping car parks, and not every store has them.

The feature can also be found on larger Woolworths trolleys to help parents load and unload their children from the seat carefully, as well as prevent the trolley and the child inside from slipping while shopping for groceries.

Is this old news for you? Or is this the best thing you’ve heard all day? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: barbaranne
Sponsored
haven't seen it on supermarket carts but a couple of years ago someone showed me them on the Bunnings ones which are long and heavy. But not always left up with the foot and had to bend down a couple of times to release with my hand. My store has sloping carpark, so this was great to know.

Woolies shopper shares little-known trolley feature that prevents heavy groceries from escaping!

Here at the SDC, we’re always working to bring you hacks guaranteed to improve your shopping experience, like this Kmart price check hack which many of you seemed to love!

Now we’re back with another little-known trick, and this one is for the Woolworths trolley.

Picture this, you’re loading your shopping into the car, and your trolley decides to go for a stroll. The only way to stop the seemingly sentient grocery carrier is to hold your foot out. While this works, it means you have to load your groceries in at a horrible angle, causing unnecessary muscle aches and taking sweet time. Sounds familiar doesn’t it?

Well with this hack, your shopping experience is all about to change. One TikTok user shared that she never knew that the trolleys at her local Woolies had a foot brake which can be used to stop it from rolling away.

ZqO-TmraqhlrUivuNkO3hivFUMDCnqnzYZAscRX5uACHIbcUQII_bw6hQ4ks8tkRbHCk0R6XeBwI-AWHag8hU3s6vmbCk4vx8hO6VTbXPUxVbpd4n3k5FoOUdPr5HsuN0g8g_yik

One Woolies shopper shared that she was not aware the trolleys have a foot brake. Credit: TikTok/@mikhaelapaiges.

“I think I’ve been living under a rock for the past 26 years,” said Mikhaela, as she demonstrated how to use the clever feature.

In the clip, Mikhaela used her foot to press down on a red lever just above the rear right-hand wheel of the trolley. This activates the brake which stopped the cart from moving.

To release, she simply lifted the lever back up again using her foot, allowing the wheels to turn again.

“Please tell me I’m not alone!!” the shopper said, and several viewers agreed with her.

“You’re not alone,” said one woman, while another person wrote: “Never knew, I will be looking next time.”

However, some people also pointed out that the feature has been around for quite a while and not every Woolworths store has them.

“Only some shops have them, not all, but I think all trolleys should have them,” said one shopper.

According to 7NEWS, the foot brake was made for Woolworths branches that have sloping car parks, and not every store has them.

The feature can also be found on larger Woolworths trolleys to help parents load and unload their children from the seat carefully, as well as prevent the trolley and the child inside from slipping while shopping for groceries.

Is this old news for you? Or is this the best thing you’ve heard all day? Let us know in the comments below!

Brakes (these also exist on prams and pushchairs, wheelchairs, carpenters' workbenches and a wide host of other mobile devices which you would prefer to move and then stay IMmobile - including office chairs!) have been around for the 40 -odd years since I began installing castors on furniture I was constructing!
It is a bit like the special wheel structure of shopping trolleys that lock to escalators to prevent runaway shopping trolleys mowing down travellers in front!
:)

Brakes (these also exist on prams and pushchairs, wheelchairs, carpenters' workbenches and a wide host of other mobile devices which you would prefer to move and then stay IMmobile - including office chairs!) have been around for the 40 -odd years since I began installing castors on furniture I was constructing!
It is a bit like the special wheel structure of shopping trolleys that lock to escalators to prevent runaway shopping trolleys mowing down travellers in front!
:)
Yep! it is only very cheap things that have the non lockable castors.

My Woolies has recently introduced new green plastic trolleys. The baskets are made from recycled plastic drink bottles.
Large, deep trolleys are constructed from 155 bottles, and the smaller, shallow baskets use 72 recycled plastic drink bottles.
The frames are similar in shape to some trolleys already in use.
Recycled plastic is cheaper than availability and cost of metal.
I wonder how wide-spread these trolleys are, or may be it's a trial to see how durable they are.
They are definitely lighter to push around.

My Woolies has recently introduced new green plastic trolleys. The baskets are made from recycled plastic drink bottles.
Large, deep trolleys are constructed from 155 bottles, and the smaller, shallow baskets use 72 recycled plastic drink bottles.
The frames are similar in shape to some trolleys already in use.
Recycled plastic is cheaper than availability and cost of metal.
I wonder how wide-spread these trolleys are, or may be it's a trial to see how durable they are.
They are definitely lighter to push around.
my Woolies locals- 3 in area- have a few of the green ones, and certainly are lighter.