Want to keep your shower screens sparkling clean? You need to stop using this!

It’s always been a challenge to keep up with household chores, not to mention all the fiddly details.

When it comes to maintaining a squeaky-clean bathroom, we’re aware it can indeed become tedious in no time.

But, there’s a simpler way to avoid all the strenuous scrubbing, cleaning, and dealing with soap scum, and the solution might be closer to home than you realise!

Cloudy shower screens that are neglected over time can be quite a hassle to clean.

I Tidy Homes Cleaning Service founder Elisha shared a simple trick on social media to keep shower screens sparkling clean.

Rather than offering advice on cleaning soap scum, Elisha stressed the importance of preventing the problem.

She noted that a common household item—bar soap—is a major contributor to a dirty shower.

‘People often ask me, “What would be my number one tip to keep the shower screens nice and clean?”’ she said.

‘I would definitely recommend steering clear of the good old soap bar.’

soap-1509963_1280.jpg
Elisha, a cleaning expert, recommended avoiding bar soap to maintain a clean shower screen. Image source: Pixabay

Elisha warned that soap bars in the bathroom do more harm than good to the shower.

‘Yes, I know a few people are going to be devastated hearing this,’ she continued.

‘But it does no good for your showers, it just builds up over everything it touches, from the floors to the walls and everything in between.’

The accumulation of soap scum on glass shower screens leads to staining and cloudiness. If not addressed promptly, it can become challenging to clean.

In the comments, Elisha further added that bar soap isn’t ideal for one’s skin.

‘Opt for a body wash instead,’ she wrote.

‘I hate the build-up of soap bars when I clean holiday rentals,’ one social media user commented.

In addition to discarding bar soap, Cleaning Expert Anita Burgess recommended using shaving foam to eliminate soap scum build-up on shower screens.

Applying shaving foam to the surface and scrubbing it thoroughly will not only remove smears but also create a protective layer that prevents fogging and limescale.

After the scrubbing, a swift wipe with a microfibre cloth should result in a sparkling glass door.

Video source: Instagram/@itidyhomes.com.au

Other products like the $11.50 Finish Rinse Aid or The Pink Stuff and Scrub Daddy have also been floated as great shower screen cleaning solutions.
Key Takeaways

• A cleaning expert revealed that bar soap contributes significantly to dirty shower screens.
  • The founder of I Tidy Homes Cleaning service, Elisha, recommended avoiding bar soap in the shower as it leads to build-ups on walls, floors, and stained, cloudy shower screens.
  • Elisha also suggested using body wash over bar soap for better skin.
  • As an additional tip, Cleaning Expert Anita Burgess said to use shaving foam to remove soap scum build-up from shower screens.
Members, share your tips for keeping your shower screen clean in the comments below!

Sponsored
Funny I have been saying this for years. It’s not rocket science when you know what soap is made from.
I use ego products they are great.😊 “Ego is not a dirty word don’t you believe what you’ve seen or you’ve heard.”ego”🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: Nichola
Look for anything that does not contain SLS. All this stuff does is give us pretty bubbles. It is not good on our skin or the shower cubicle.
Avoid using harsh chemicals when cleaning if you want to maintain healthy lungs. I microfibre after every shower rather than squeegee.
Just use common sense and don't get sucked in by magical fixes.

Reactions: DLHM and barbaranne
C.L.R. ALSO DOES A GREAT JOB(DON'T OVER USE ) JUST A BIT ON YOUR MICRO FIBRE OR SPONGE ,WIPE OVER ENTIRE AREA,LEAVE FOR 5 MINUTES THEN RINSE OFF. ---''WELLA'' ITS CLEAN! I AM A PRO. CLEANER (SCUMBUSTERS DOMESTIC CLEANING SERVICES) W.A.

Reactions: Phyll and DLHM
Look for anything that does not contain SLS. All this stuff does is give us pretty bubbles. It is not good on our skin or the shower cubicle.
Avoid using harsh chemicals when cleaning if you want to maintain healthy lungs. I microfibre after every shower rather than squeegee.
Just use common sense and don't get sucked in by magical fixes.
I agree with you 100%! @MariaG

C.L.R. ALSO DOES A GREAT JOB(DON'T OVER USE ) JUST A BIT ON YOUR MICRO FIBRE OR SPONGE ,WIPE OVER ENTIRE AREA,LEAVE FOR 5 MINUTES THEN RINSE OFF. ---''WELLA'' ITS CLEAN! I AM A PRO. CLEANER (SCUMBUSTERS DOMESTIC CLEANING SERVICES) W.A.
I remember using that years and years ago and it was really good.😊