SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Suzanne rose

Suzanne rose

Jun 27, 2022
Sydney
Waltons Store Sydney

Walton's was my grandmothers favourite store.
I remember many visits to this store and my grandmother buying furniture on hire purchase and the Walton's man visiting every Friday evening to collect payment and entice her to buy more.
On several occasions he left her with a bunch of store money to use in store on whatever she wanted. I called this funny money !

Was this great customer service or a clever way to collect payment from those who didn't pay and for those good payers entice them to buy more

images.jpeg-124.jpgimages.jpeg-123.jpg

My first job was at Waltons accounts department in Box Hill. They were great to work for. The job was for the city office but because I lived near Box Hill they transferred me there so I didnt have to travel as far.

While Walton's was a good dept store, the photo shows the little old man with the cart, he was an institution around the Sydney CBD for decades, he was a knife sharpener, the cart housed his sharpening wheels and tools. The old guy is the star of the photo, not Waltons :)

Waltons Store Sydney

I remember many visits to this store and my grandmother buying furniture on hire purchase and the Walton's man visiting every Friday evening to collect payment and entice her to buy more.
On several occasions he left her with a bunch of store money to use in store on whatever she wanted. I called this funny money !

Was this great customer service or a clever way to collect payment from those who didn't pay and for those good payers entice them to buy more

View attachment 13891View attachment 13892
When my family arrived in Australia in December 1973 we purchased all our furniture from them. Then we waited for El Senor de Waltons to knock on the door

Waltons Store Sydney

I remember this, in some ways it was great as there were a lot of families back then who had no transport to go into town weekly to do all this kind of stuff (especially if you lived in the rural area). I used to love it when the Walton's truck would turn up, most of the time it was an Aladdin's cave with linen or cookware, it saved my mum from having to try and carry this kind of items with her on the local bus or asking Dad to take her when she needed things (he never said no when she asked). Also, it was an easier way to pay the layby off without having to make a special trip into town.

Not only do I remember Waltons, but I also remember that man in the hard hat pushing his belongings in that cart.. That must have been early'50s when I had just left school and was working in the city.
Yes, the photo shows two iconic Sydney characters, of course Walton's store, and then that old gent who could be seen on the city business district's street pushing his trolley from dawn to dusk, day-in, day- out. I think that he was an eastern European immigrant. Some of SDC's members may recall his name. He was well known.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
My husband and I bought our first lounge and dining room set back in 1977 from Waltons in Brisbane, and yes the Waltons man used to come round every week to collect payments and try to sell us more merchandise ☺️

• Love
I remember that Waltons stop well .I living in Glebe from the 50’s -70’s like everyone else my mother would purchase anything and everything from Waltons and.in the late 60’s early 70’s my now husband worked for a company that delivery’s and hubby would go to MrsWaltons who was such a nice lady she gave us a wedding present when we were married in March 1971 and we are still together and I still have that wedding gift

My wife was given some of The Waltons Money when they called and when I came home from work , I told my wife that we did not need that money and i went to the local store to return it and it was a major problem for them to cancel it. It put me off going to Waltons.

I remember the Walton's Town Hall store, we also had one in Fairfield. We didn't buy any furniture from them but it was always the place my mother went to to buy ladies underclothes because the ladies there knew how to measure properly.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Waltons Store Sydney

Now there's a name I haven't heard for many a year. How about this one. Macy's. I can still recall their sales gingle... Buy furniture from Macies. Or better still, Mark Foys. When I last visited Sydney, the old Mark Foys building was still there.
I wonder if it still is?

Reactions: NotNats
Now there's a name I haven't heard for many a year. How about this one. Macy's. I can still recall their sales gingle... Buy furniture from Macies. Or better still, Mark Foys. When I last visited Sydney, the old Mark Foys building was still there.
I wonder if it still is?
The Mark Foys sing is still there but other shops are now there

When my family migrated to Australia in 1973 we got all our furniture from Waltons. Then once a week the Walton man as we used to call him came for the payments

While Walton's was a good dept store, the photo shows the little old man with the cart, he was an institution around the Sydney CBD for decades, he was a knife sharpener, the cart housed his sharpening wheels and tools. The old guy is the star of the photo, not Waltons :)
I remember our dad use to sharpen all of our knives but when a man started coming around asking if we needed our knives sharpen dad let him sharpen them. Reason why he stated was "Any person taking the time to hunt up work and have a go was worth paying for"