This viral TikTok video shows the 'correct' way to wash broccoli: 'Something I didn't know till I was in my 60s!'

When it comes to preparing vegetables, it's important to make sure the job is done properly.

After all, the last thing you want with a meal is to end up on a trip to the hospital (but first to the toilet), right?

On top of that, we also know how important it is to get your money's worth when it comes to food, which is why we always give attention to tips and tricks on food prep and storage.

Recently, a surprising 'discovery' has gone viral on TikTok — courtesy of a man named Sidney Raz.

The 34-year-old, who has over three million followers on the platform, shared a video which highlighted a common mistake many of us make when it comes to washing broccoli.
‘Here's something I didn't know until I was in my 30s,’ he began. ‘Broccoli should be rinsed from the bottom?’

The video showed Sidney running the tap water directly onto the head of the broccoli, just as many of us probably do. This caused the water to just bounce off for the most part.

Screenshot_3.png
Sidney’s TikTok post might have you rethinking how you wash your broccoli. Image Credit: TikTok/@sidneyraz

Not pleased with the washing job he’d done, Sidney then flipped the broccoli bottom side-up…. And it turns out, he was on to something!

This time, the water drained quickly and efficiently through the florets — where nasty insects sometimes hide — saving a lot more water and preventing wastage.

The revelation was so remarkable that it went viral, with many users grateful for the new knowledge!

‘Well, now that’s something I didn’t know until I was in my 60s! Thanks for the tip,’ said one user.

‘Definitely looks like a better way to get rid of broccoli spiders,’ another said

’That’s just common sense,’ a third pointed out.

Others offered their own ways of making sure their produce is clean.

One user said: ‘(I) soak them in white vinegar & water.’

‘I learned from my mom that I have to soak it with salt water to get the worms out,’ added another.

However, one notable theme in the comments of Sidney’s video is that many were surprised that broccoli — and veggies, by extension — had to be washed in the first place!

More than one user said ‘Broccoli should be rinsed?’ in varying forms.

Screenshot_6.png
Rinsing broccoli upside down allows for more efficient cleaning as seen above. Image Credit: TikTok/@sidneyraz

‘Why are so many people not rinsing their vegetables? It’s not the dirt for me, it’s all the hands that have touched it… before me,’ a user shared in disbelief.

‘The amount of people that (don’t) wash their produce is alarming,’ another added.

‘I thought that was standard practice worldwide,’ a third said.

To be fair, not all places in the world have an abundance of water so some people might have no choice but to ration theirs wisely.

That said, at least for the places that can afford to spare water for washing veggies, it seems that it would be a smart move to do.

Key Takeaways

• Sidney Raz, 34, has gone viral after revealing the 'correct' way to wash broccoli.
  • His method involves turning the broccoli on its head and allowing the water to drain through the florets.
  • The clip has gone viral online and shows that many weren't aware of the correct way to wash their broccoli.
  • It is recommended that produce be washed to reduce the chances of contracting food-borne illnesses.
The Australian Institute for Food Safety for one recommends washing produce because many things such as human and animal waste, microbes, and pesticides can contaminate vegetables.

These contaminants can lead to the emergence of food-borne illnesses, which the government estimates infects 4 million Aussies annually.

It’s important to note too that before washing veggies like broccoli, one must have clean hands first as it would be counterproductive to contaminate produce while cleaning.

Plain running water is also best used to clean produce as soaps and detergents are said to potentially leave some residues behind, not to mention there isn’t evidence that they are more effective at cleaning vegetables compared to water.

In addition, washing produce can also lead to a longer shelf-life, so it’s a win-win if you take the extra time to give your veggies a good rinse.

Source: TikTok/@sidneyraz

Now, if Sidney Raz sounds familiar, you might probably remember him as the guy who also went viral last year for sharing the ‘correct’ way to eat a classic chocolate!

So, what is your reaction to this most recent ‘discovery’ of Sidney’s? Do you count yourself among those who don’t wash their veggies? If so, why don’t you?

Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Trouble with washing before putting them in the fridge, moisture promotes rot if you don't dry thoroughly. I remove veg like carrots from their pack and rub them with a paper towel before putting them into a dry container lined with paper towel in the fridge. With lettuce, I remove leaves that are a bit aged and then put it in a sealed container lined with paper towel and wash the leaves when I want to use them. The lettuce lasts a long time this way, attached is a photo of a Cos lettuce I bought three weeks before and stored this way. The paper towels prevent moisture build-upLettuce.jpg

I always wash the foods I cook, even meat!! Everything is touched by other people’s hands……who knows where those hands have been🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Macarj
When it comes to preparing vegetables, it's important to make sure the job is done properly.

After all, the last thing you want with a meal is to end up on a trip to the hospital (but first to the toilet), right?

On top of that, we also know how important it is to get your money's worth when it comes to food, which is why we always give attention to tips and tricks on food prep and storage.

Recently, a surprising 'discovery' has gone viral on TikTok — courtesy of a man named Sidney Raz.

The 34-year-old, who has over three million followers on the platform, shared a video which highlighted a common mistake many of us make when it comes to washing broccoli.
‘Here's something I didn't know until I was in my 30s,’ he began. ‘Broccoli should be rinsed from the bottom?’

The video showed Sidney running the tap water directly onto the head of the broccoli, just as many of us probably do. This caused the water to just bounce off for the most part.

View attachment 12613
Sidney’s TikTok post might have you rethinking how you wash your broccoli. Image Credit: TikTok/@sidneyraz

Not pleased with the washing job he’d done, Sidney then flipped the broccoli bottom side-up…. And it turns out, he was onto something!

This time, the water drained quickly and efficiently through the florets — where nasty insects sometimes hide — saving a lot more water and preventing wastage.

The revelation was so remarkable that it went viral, with many users grateful for the new knowledge!

‘Well, now that’s something I didn’t know until I was in my 60s! Thanks for the tip,’ said one user.

‘Definitely looks like a better way to get rid of broccoli spiders,’ another said

‘I learned from my mom that I have to soak it with salt water to get the worms out,’ added another.

However, one notable theme in the comments of Sidney’s video is that many were surprised that broccoli — and veggies, by extension — had to be washed in the first place!

View attachment 12614
Rinsing broccoli upside down allows for more efficient cleaning as seen above. Image Credit: TikTok/@sidneyraz

‘Why are so many people not rinsing their vegetables? It’s not the dirt for me, it’s all the hands that have touched it… before me,’ a user shared in disbelief.

‘The amount of people that (don’t) wash their produce is alarming,’ another added.

To be fair, not all places in the world have an abundance of water so some people might have no choice but to ration theirs wisely.

That said, at least for the places that can afford to spare water for washing veggies, it seems that it would be a smart move to do.

Key Takeaways

• Sidney Raz, 34, has gone viral after revealing the 'correct' way to wash broccoli.
  • His method involves turning the broccoli on its head and allowing the water to drain through the florets.
  • The clip has gone viral online and shows that many weren't aware of the correct way to wash their broccoli.
  • It is recommended that produce be washed to reduce the chances of contracting food-borne illnesses.
The Australian Institute for Food Safety for one recommends washing produce because many things such as human and animal waste, microbes, and pesticides can contaminate vegetables.

These contaminants can lead to the emergence of food-borne illnesses, which the government estimates infects 4 million Aussies annually.

It’s important to note too that before washing veggies like broccoli, one must have clean hands first as it would be counterproductive to contaminate produce while cleaning.

Plain running water is also best used to clean produce as soaps and detergents are said to potentially leave some residues behind, not to mention there isn’t evidence that they are more effective at cleaning vegetables compared to water.

In addition, washing produce can also lead to a longer shelf-life, so it’s a win-win if you take the extra time to give your veggies a good rinse.

Now, if Sidney Raz sounds familiar, you might probably remember him as the guy who also went viral last year for sharing the ‘correct’ way to eat a classic chocolate!

So, what is your reaction to this most recent ‘discovery’ of Sidney’s? Do you count yourself among those who don’t wash their veggies? If so, why don’t you?

Cut your broccoli into the size you need, put a cup of vinegar or plenty of salt into a decent amount of water in your sink or a big bowl, pop in the cut florets & leave for awhile. This will make any grubs come out of hiding, then remove them from the sink or bowl & swish around the veg to wash/remove any hiders. All done!

Reactions: Groovy
Cut your broccoli into the size you need, put a cup of vinegar or plenty of salt into a decent amount of water in your sink or a big bowl, pop in the cut florets & leave for awhile. This will make any grubs come out of hiding, then remove them from the sink or bowl & swish around the veg to wash/remove any hiders. All done!
That’s what I do 👍🏼👍🏼 but never thought about the vinagre. Water does the same, concerning the bugs 🐛 I think the liquid is what makes them come out of the florets, maybe I’m wrong. I’ll try the vinegar next time. Thank you for idea 😊

In the late 1980s, my children were small when I saw an ad with Meryl Streep in it, cleaning vegetables & fruit first in detergent water, then in clear water, before prepping them for cooking &/or eating. Ever since then, I've washed my fruit & veges this way before eating or cooking them. For those interested, see the following link as to why Streep did the ads, one of many about pesticides & atar used in growing fruit & veges - https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...er-alar/467ad873-1c53-4bfc-83d0-fcd7b02145ac/

People come in numbers, not amounts. You can't have 3.7 people, which is an amount, but only discrete whole numbers. You're welcome.
True, which also means you have "fewer" people, not "less" people.

View attachment 12613

Not pleased with the washing job he’d done, Sidney then flipped the broccoli bottom side-up…. And it turns out, he was onto something!

View attachment 12614

Key Takeaways

Yep! I love it when cooked to a nice crisp state, not over cooked and mushy. It’s terrible when mushy!! I have a friend who also drinks the water she cooks her vegies in instead of throwing out this valuable and nutritious water. Or she uses the water to cook something else.

View attachment 12613

View attachment 12614

Key Takeaways