This mum's dinner hack will save you from doing dishes tonight… if you dare!

We all know how frustrating it can be to have to wash dishes after a big family meal. You spend so much time cooking the food, and then you have to spend even more time afterwards cleaning up the mess.

But what if we told you there was a way to avoid having to do any dishes at all?

It might sound too good to be true, but one clever mum has found a way to do just that – and it’s by using Alfoil!

Rebecca Cubberly, 28, came up with the idea as a way of saving time and money while cleaning up after meals for her husband, Karl, 30, and two children, 6-year-old Jack and 4-year-old Evie.

To start, she placed a strip of Alfoil across their dining table. She then topped it with vegetables, nachos, cheese, tortillas, and ground meat (which she cooked in an air fryer).

But how about the utensils?

312971946_10158355964910583_5767569743139335707_n.jpg
Rebecca shared her foil hack online featuring a Mexican-style dinner. Credit: Facebook/Rebecca Cubberly

Well, with the food on the foil, Rebecca had her family eat using just their hands!

‘They really enjoyed it. It was something fun… They ate every last bit, there was nothing left, so I literally just had to pick up the Alfoil.’ she said.

Your face might be scrunched up at this point, but her hack ended up saving her time and money as she had only a knife and a chopping board to clean.

‘Normally you have five bowls and a frying pan to wash, and we didn’t even use cutlery,’ she said.

She added: ‘I didn’t use the dishwasher, and then only a bit of water for the chopping board.’

Rebecca’s hack also gave her thirty more minutes that she would’ve spent on cleaning up to spend time with her kids instead.

‘It’s a bit of a treat without the effort,’ she added.

Add this to the list of things we wish we’d known about sooner!

Like us, many were amazed at the mum’s craftiness in finding a way out of doing dishes.

‘Oh I love this idea so much!’ one woman exclaimed.

pexels-photo-9462195.jpg
Rebecca’s foil hack gave her thirty more minutes to spend time with her family by sparing her from washing up. Credit: Pexels/Liliana Drew

Another chimed in: ‘Oh why not? Whatever works, I have six kids!’

‘Love the no washing up idea but I couldn’t trust children (or my husband) not to make a mess with that delicious but messy food without a plate.’ an amused mum added.

Others though weren’t big fans of the foil hack.

‘Lazy and wasteful,’ one person said. ‘The kids can help clean.’

‘She obviously hasn’t realised the price of tin foil!’ another pointed out.

Depending on the kind of tin foil, prices can range from $1.90 to almost $40 (for the heavy-duty types).

Key Takeaways

• Crafty mum Rebecca Cubberly has devised a controversial way to avoid having to do the dishes — by having her family eat out off an Alfoil-lined table using their hands.
  • She thought of the hack as a way to spend more time with her family and save a few dollars on the side.
  • Cubberly has since posted photos of the bare-bones arrangement on social media, where it divided critics.
  • Some saw the practicality of the hack, but some criticised her for her 'laziness' .
And of course, some took to joking!

‘Feed them on a picnic table in the yard. When they're done, turn on the sprinklers.’ a man suggested. Why not go all the way, eh?

Another added:‘This is smart. Just put everything in foil and wrap it up on the table. Let the sun cook it, then unwrap it and throw it in the trash. Then order delivery!’
On another note, eating using only hands might have grossed you out, which is only fair. After all, it doesn’t take an expert to know that dirty hands are the last thing you want to touch your food with.

However, various cultures around the world have done so for thousands of years as part of their traditions, and most, if not all of them, place a premium on handwashing.

Now, if you have time, you can check out what else can be done with Alfoil, like what this mum did using it on her oven that made it squeaky clean, and this chef’s tip on how to deal with those infuriating ‘spirals’ that get left behind sometimes.

Would you consider doing Rebecca’s dinner hack?

Share your reactions and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/Tastemade

Sponsored
We all know how frustrating it can be to have to wash dishes after a big family meal. You spend so much time cooking the food, and then you have to spend even more time afterwards cleaning up the mess.

But what if we told you there was a way to avoid having to do any dishes at all?

It might sound too good to be true, but one clever mum has found a way to do just that – and it’s by using Alfoil!

Rebecca Cubberly, 28, came up with the idea as a way of saving time and money while cleaning up after meals for her husband, Karl, 30, and two children, 6-year-old Jack and 4-year-old Evie.

To start, she placed a strip of Alfoil across their dining table. She then topped it with vegetables, nachos, cheese, tortillas, and ground meat (which she cooked in an air fryer).

View attachment 7958
Rebecca shared her foil hack online featuring a Mexican-style dinner. Credit: Facebook/Rebecca Cubberly

Well, with the food on the foil, Rebecca had her family eat using just their hands!

‘They really enjoyed it. It was something fun… They ate every last bit, there was nothing left, so I literally just had to pick up the Alfoil.’ she said.

Your face might be scrunched up at this point, but her hack ended up saving her time and money as she had only a knife and a chopping board to clean.

‘Normally you have five bowls and a frying pan to wash, and we didn’t even use cutlery,’ she said.

She added: ‘I didn’t use the dishwasher, and then only a bit of water for the chopping board.’

Rebecca’s hack also gave her thirty more minutes that she would’ve spent on cleaning up to spend time with her kids instead.

Like us, many were amazed at the mum’s craftiness in finding a way out of doing dishes.

View attachment 7959
Rebecca’s foil hack gave her thirty more minutes to spend time with her family by sparing her from washing up. Credit: Pexels/Liliana Drew

‘Love the no washing up idea but I couldn’t trust children (or my husband) not to make a mess with that delicious but messy food without a plate.’ an amused mum added.

Depending on the kind of tin foil, prices can range from $1.90 to almost $40 (for the heavy-duty types).

Key Takeaways

• Crafty mum Rebecca Cubberly has devised a controversial way to avoid having to do the dishes — by having her family eat out off an Alfoil-lined table using their hands.
  • She thought of the hack as a way to spend more time with her family and save a few dollars on the side.
  • Cubberly has since posted photos of the bare-bones arrangement on social media, where it divided critics.
  • Some saw the practicality of the hack, but some criticised her for her 'laziness' .

‘Feed them on a picnic table in the yard. When they're done, turn on the sprinklers.’ a man suggested. Why not go all the way, eh?

Another added:‘This is smart. Just put everything in foil and wrap it up on the table. Let the sun cook it, then unwrap it and throw it in the trash. Then order delivery!’
On another note, eating using only hands might have grossed you out, which is only fair. After all, it doesn’t take an expert to know that dirty hands are the last thing you want to touch your food with.

However, various cultures around the world have done so for thousands of years as part of their traditions, and most, if not all of them, place a premium on handwashing.

Now, if you have time, you can check out what else can be done with Alfoil, like what this mum did using it on her oven that made it squeaky clean, and this chef’s tip on how to deal with those infuriating ‘spirals’ that get left behind sometimes.

Eating off Aluminium constantly can't be good for your health. You would end up consuming minute amounts of the metal each time. At least the Aliens 👽 wouldn't be able to control your kids' minds. .. LOL! 🤣

What a waste of metal, and as it s dirty it cannot even go into recycle, but will end up in landfill! Yeah, GREAT IDEA...NOT!!!😡 And what a good example she s for her kids. Use plastic plates and teach the kids to clean up their own, so she wont have to, if it s so tough on her!

When my children were young we sometimes had 'picnic in the lounge room' for dinnertime. Spread out blankets or sheets, food on a couple of trays, sat on floor. I would put this idea into the same category - certainly not regularly, but maybe on a long weekend, end of term etc.

We wash our air fryer after each time it is used, racks, trays.

This might be an OK way to eat every so often as a novelty, but not sure I want fingers going in the mouth than picking up food with them , there is food close together.

I hope she doesn't do this too often as her kids will get use to eating without utensils.

I would do it maybe once a year no more.

I love grazing tables , which she may have got that idea from but you use tongs and serving utensils

Last edited:

View attachment 7958

View attachment 7959

Key Takeaways

I think using your hands is gross. I was taught to use knife & fork . I taught my children to eat with knife & fork also

View attachment 7958

View attachment 7959

Key Takeaways

How lazy can some people get?
Talk about teaching your children bad eating habits.
Why not teach the children to help by drying the dishes.
A great time to talk about what happened at school instead of plonking them in front of the TV.

How lazy can some people get?
Talk about teaching your children bad eating habits.
Why not teach the children to help by drying the dishes.
A great time to talk about what happened at school instead of plonking them in front of the TV.
Indeed! Teaching lack of table manners, beyond lazy and very wasteful..... not only is the art of polite mealtime conversation/small talk being lost but now feeding like pigs at a trough is being boasted about?

When I was growing up, few people had automatic dishwashers - or rather, as my dad used to say 'we have a dishwasher - we gave birth to you kids!' All our friends & family had meal time rosters for setting the table, helping with the prep & cleaning up after. As I recall, the only time my mum ever did dishes was on the rare ocassions when the best china had been used.

Indeed! Teaching lack of table manners, beyond lazy and very wasteful..... not only is the art of polite mealtime conversation/small talk being lost but now feeding like pigs at a trough is being boasted about?

When I was growing up, few people had automatic dishwashers - or rather, as my dad used to say 'we have a dishwasher - we gave birth to you kids!' All our friends & family had meal time rosters for setting the table, helping with the prep & cleaning up after. As I recall, the only time my mum ever did dishes was on the rare ocassions when the best china had been used.
Very well said. I still don't have a dishwasher I actually don't mind washing dishes.

Reactions: PepeLePew and Ricci
Reading the article l was left believing this is an ongoing arrangement. The cost of all that aluminium foil is a concern for me & l have been to celebrations held by people from India & yes they, not me, eat with hands only. Good way to get a sizeable amount of rice in one dip into one's mouth. The dishes were always served in large containers, spooned onto individual paper plates & eaten by hand only. Not my style, but l wasn't bought up like that.