Supermarkets impose tissue limits during hay fever season – some customers feel it's discriminatory

The spring season has arrived, folks! It's a wonderful time of the year, and most people (us included!) celebrate the warmer weather and longer days by making several plans to explore the great outdoors – there's just no shortage of fun things to do!

The air is getting warmer, flowers are starting to blossom, and nature is starting to wake up from its winter slumber. Festivals fill every calendar, and every part of the country has great outdoor activities to offer. What's not to love?

Many Aussies think that spring is the perfect time to go out again after being stuck inside all winter, but sadly, not everyone has that option.

For many people, the first day of September also marks another thing in their calendars – and that is the beginning of the dreaded hay fever season.

7eSixtIBJ5E94kMmgPT2Z87hWEJPhrp58vGV85DSLfd-60QBwCR1vnsrIGGW5Wv-yxJkOpBSRKFC-4TCBykUIFdxnfDm-HeQBbDx_J3EhWSRotWaS9ZFCf36T0-yzXAkQu7q5cIUlYFjwxAQm39ZNLTtzK40Ho-XTYxfT27dtcpHJ0iCqbu7fgWnsQ

Spring also means allergy season in Australia. Credit: Australia Wide First Aid.

Those who suffer from seasonal allergic rhinitis, sometimes known as 'hay fever', may have trouble breathing during certain times of the year—such as spring.

When you are allergic to something in the environment, that thing makes your immune system release a chemical called histamine, which is used to fight off infections. Histamine is what makes you sneeze, have a runny nose, and have itchy or watery eyes.

This is why, around this time of year, a lot of Aussies usually go to the local supermarkets to stock up on facial tissues.

Because of this, major supermarkets are forced to implement buying limit policies so that there are enough supplies to go around for every customer.

But not everyone agrees…

LLbJESZmY8BExqawSSr_o3eqRwQe0zy-GrQYCCuQTB8OPmYpOS-8XYpgcfx5u94mQ3tu2KwkXNWBUQ_Dzv3MLQ77E8pyfk3OtQUAqK25uvBxmmEji-tb1BHWjnZaf5Otw_7ygfgU9Onat-vdefBtx9A8Ssapd37oAb15b8qZEw2xdHzzVNimKd4CDQ

A Woolworths shopper with hay fever claims the store's strict purchasing limits are biased against those with allergies. Credit: AAP.

An angry customer wrote a long message on Woolworths' Facebook page, complaining that she went into the store but was shocked to find that she could only buy two packs of tissues.

'As a chronic hay fever sufferer, I believe this is total discrimination against people such as myself. There are no limits on the amount of toilet paper you can buy, and yet there are on tissues? Get your act together, Woolworths. I'm very disappointed,' she wrote.

It didn't take long for a Woolies representative to respond to the woman's post, saying that they had to implement the two-pack-per-customer limit because of the high demand for tissues caused by the recent cold snap and the early start to flu season.

'We've placed a product limit on so customers have fair access to the product with supply being partially impacted. We encourage customers to continue shopping as they normally would,' they responded.

However, the woman continued to insist that the tissues were necessities for her and that the grocery chain did not completely comprehend the plight of those who suffer from hay fever.

'Woolworths, I had run out and NEEDED these items. 2 x boxes of tissues and 1 x 8 purse packs, I would not deem excessive and 'stealing' from anyone the opportunity to buy tissues,' she wrote in her reply.

'Clearly, you do not have an issue with hay fever and don't fully understand the struggle hay fever sufferers have. I have gone through one box today alone.'

z61zfafCUgsIgF_iG_VvvDyt8e6JipXoozU9YsMocq4h8XhJ8hvAck2cd2npx668UmfGGTHjTPf1h17NfOB2F4P-j02iGrVBFSxTLLZ0dTSK38hNzlK8jkL89bwJe3tRePB58KrRpw5ZzxrqUXbudHLf5mdssuXMFbGioL539QCxoyM-l6xKLGhtWQ

Woolworths said that the limit of two packs per customer was put in place because of the high demand for tissues. Credit: Getty Images/Chris Putnam.

The woman's post attracted the attention of many other Woolies shoppers on social media, but most of them did not seem to feel sorry for her. Many called her 'unreasonable' for complaining, while others reminded her that she still had other options.

'Imagine if there were no restrictions and there were no tissues on the shelf because everyone brought heaps,' one user wrote in the comments.

'I think you'd be more annoyed than only being able to buy 2 out of 3. Just walk out of the store, put the other tissues in your car, come back in and buy your next lot of tissues.'

'Petulant tantrums won't change the fact that there's a severe shortage,' another person pointed out, while a third suggested she can use toilet paper instead.

It should come as no surprise that Woolworths is not the only supermarket that presently imposes purchasing restrictions for tissues.

As the country fights flu, COVID, and other viral outbreaks due to the outgoing winter weather, Coles has also been implementing limits on tissue purchases since July because of supply constraints.

What do you think, folks? Are Woolies and Coles right to put limits on how many tissue products you can buy? Or should customers be able to buy as much as they want? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
How privileged and petty must you be to put your wants and needs above the rest of the population? If she is indeed in need of more than 2 boxes of tissues she could always go round the shop two or three times or get other members of the family to buy some. She should be grateful that there are tissues to be bought, with so many items disappearing from the shelves.;):rolleyes:

Really! It’s discriminatory to have a limit on tissues? Get a life and a packet of ten handkerchiefs, they last longer and are reusable. I bet you are the person that bought all that toilet paper and didn’t give a hoot about the other people. We really need to look back in time to learn a few good lessons, talk to your grandparents or some elderly people, you’ll get some great tips on how to survive with out tissues or anything else for that matter.

I have a condition called Post Nasal Drip but I don't make a fuss because all I could get was one packet of tissues, the shelves were bare. I just hope others who got in before I did, really needed them as well. I agree with limits being placed otherwise the "me" generation will clear the shelves for themselves.

The spring season has arrived, folks! It's a wonderful time of the year, and most people (us included!) celebrate the warmer weather and longer days by making several plans to explore the great outdoors – there's just no shortage of fun things to do!

The air is getting warmer, flowers are starting to blossom, and nature is starting to wake up from its winter slumber. Festivals fill every calendar, and every part of the country has great outdoor activities to offer. What's not to love?

Many Aussies think that spring is the perfect time to go out again after being stuck inside all winter, but sadly, not everyone has that option.

For many people, the first day of September also marks another thing in their calendars – and that is the beginning of the dreaded hay fever season.

7eSixtIBJ5E94kMmgPT2Z87hWEJPhrp58vGV85DSLfd-60QBwCR1vnsrIGGW5Wv-yxJkOpBSRKFC-4TCBykUIFdxnfDm-HeQBbDx_J3EhWSRotWaS9ZFCf36T0-yzXAkQu7q5cIUlYFjwxAQm39ZNLTtzK40Ho-XTYxfT27dtcpHJ0iCqbu7fgWnsQ

Spring also means allergy season in Australia. Credit: Australia Wide First Aid.

Those who suffer from seasonal allergic rhinitis, sometimes known as 'hay fever', may have trouble breathing during certain times of the year—such as spring.

When you are allergic to something in the environment, that thing makes your immune system release a chemical called histamine, which is used to fight off infections. Histamine is what makes you sneeze, have a runny nose, and have itchy or watery eyes.

This is why, around this time of year, a lot of Aussies usually go to the local supermarkets to stock up on facial tissues.

Because of this, major supermarkets are forced to implement buying limit policies so that there are enough supplies to go around for every customer.

But not everyone agrees…

LLbJESZmY8BExqawSSr_o3eqRwQe0zy-GrQYCCuQTB8OPmYpOS-8XYpgcfx5u94mQ3tu2KwkXNWBUQ_Dzv3MLQ77E8pyfk3OtQUAqK25uvBxmmEji-tb1BHWjnZaf5Otw_7ygfgU9Onat-vdefBtx9A8Ssapd37oAb15b8qZEw2xdHzzVNimKd4CDQ

A Woolworths shopper with hay fever claims the store's strict purchasing limits are biased against those with allergies. Credit: AAP.

An angry customer wrote a long message on Woolworths' Facebook page, complaining that she went into the store but was shocked to find that she could only buy two packs of tissues.

'As a chronic hay fever sufferer, I believe this is total discrimination against people such as myself. There are no limits on the amount of toilet paper you can buy, and yet there are on tissues? Get your act together, Woolworths. I'm very disappointed,' she wrote.

It didn't take long for a Woolies representative to respond to the woman's post, saying that they had to implement the two-pack-per-customer limit because of the high demand for tissues caused by the recent cold snap and the early start to flu season.

'We've placed a product limit on so customers have fair access to the product with supply being partially impacted. We encourage customers to continue shopping as they normally would,' they responded.

However, the woman continued to insist that the tissues were necessities for her and that the grocery chain did not completely comprehend the plight of those who suffer from hay fever.

'Woolworths, I had run out and NEEDED these items. 2 x boxes of tissues and 1 x 8 purse packs, I would not deem excessive and 'stealing' from anyone the opportunity to buy tissues,' she wrote in her reply.

'Clearly, you do not have an issue with hay fever and don't fully understand the struggle hay fever sufferers have. I have gone through one box today alone.'

z61zfafCUgsIgF_iG_VvvDyt8e6JipXoozU9YsMocq4h8XhJ8hvAck2cd2npx668UmfGGTHjTPf1h17NfOB2F4P-j02iGrVBFSxTLLZ0dTSK38hNzlK8jkL89bwJe3tRePB58KrRpw5ZzxrqUXbudHLf5mdssuXMFbGioL539QCxoyM-l6xKLGhtWQ

Woolworths said that the limit of two packs per customer was put in place because of the high demand for tissues. Credit: Getty Images/Chris Putnam.

The woman's post attracted the attention of many other Woolies shoppers on social media, but most of them did not seem to feel sorry for her. Many called her 'unreasonable' for complaining, while others reminded her that she still had other options.

'Imagine if there were no restrictions and there were no tissues on the shelf because everyone brought heaps,' one user wrote in the comments.

'I think you'd be more annoyed than only being able to buy 2 out of 3. Just walk out of the store, put the other tissues in your car, come back in and buy your next lot of tissues.'

'Petulant tantrums won't change the fact that there's a severe shortage,' another person pointed out, while a third suggested she can use toilet paper instead.

It should come as no surprise that Woolworths is not the only supermarket that presently imposes purchasing restrictions for tissues.

As the country fights flu, COVID, and other viral outbreaks due to the outgoing winter weather, Coles has also been implementing limits on tissue purchases since July because of supply constraints.

What do you think, folks? Are Woolies and Coles right to put limits on how many tissue products you can buy? Or should customers be able to buy as much as they want? Share your thoughts in the comments!
I think she needs to realise that they are still making them and plenty of store have them with no limits, go there and stop acting loke an idiot.

But not everyone agrees…

There are shortages of so many items and tissues are one of them. I suffer with hay fever and if I run out of tissues there is toilet paper. I buy 3 ply toot paper and it is soft on the nose if needed. I actually started buying an extra box of tissues to the lead up to Spring. I have four boxes and when I am on my last box I will buy more. I don’t understand why people make such a fuss because we have shortages that is out of our control. Even though the government is trying for us to get back to so called normal lives there is still a pandemic and there are shortages all across the globe. I care that people are starving not that one woman can only buy two boxes of tissues.

How does she think I, also a hayfever sufferer, felt when after visiting 3 supermarkets I had been unable to buy a single box? That's on top of the fact that my trip to town takes about an hour each way.

But not everyone agrees…

Save the trees,, where possible, use old-fashined handkerchiefs instead

But not everyone agrees…

Has she thought to buy handkerchiefs..reusable and more environmentally safe....I always carry a couple in case I run out of tissues..in fact once I forgot my towel at the pool and attempted to dry myself with hanky in my bag lol.....multi usage..try doing that with a tissue

But not everyone agrees…

As an alternative at home you can use toilet tissue. It's just as good as facial tissues & a lot cheaper. I also suffer from chronic rhinitis & have use toilet paper for years at home. I do consider other people's reactions if I took a roll with me to the supermarket etc. & use normal tissues or a good, old fashioned, handkerchief then.

Limits are there for a reason , meaning short supplies and if gready people take alot then there won't be enough to go around.

Seriously what would this person do if she had my large family.

The only thing I don't think is fare is 1 person family can have the same ammount as me shopping for 8 person family.

Gosh lucky not all my kids are at home

Limits are there for a reason , meaning short supplies and if gready people take alot then there won't be enough to go around.

Seriously what would this person do if she had my large family.

The only thing I don't think is fare is 1 person family can have the same ammount as me shopping for 8 person family.

Gosh lucky not all my kids are at home
I officially gift you my share, one box does me for over a year, hopefully by then things will have got back to normal!:)

But not everyone agrees…

😳, use toilet paper if you run out of tissues, it’s just paper!!

Ever heard of the early bird catches the worm - why wait until spring is in full swing until buying your "precious" tissues. STOCK UP AHEAD OF TIME - yes I am yelling - only way to get the message through to some people.

Ever heard of the early bird catches the worm - why wait until spring is in full swing until buying your "precious" tissues. STOCK UP AHEAD OF TIME - yes I am yelling - only way to get the message through to some people.
I did stock up always have , way before covid. Always have at least 50 boxes . In a house of 8 people plus lots of grandkids visiting tissues don't last long and limited to 2 boxes well we go through a box a day I won't even start on toilet paper

But not everyone agrees…

For God's sake if you run out of tissues, use arse paper, just make sure it hasn't been used priorly.

But not everyone agrees…

Customers are lucky to have any. I agree with the person who wrote “ use toilet paper” or go out and come in again or get your partner to buy some

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci