State government to spend $515m on recycling system reform. Is this a waste of taxpayer money?

We absolutely love hearing from members who have topic recommendations or simply want to keep us in the loop! Recently, an SDC member wrote in to advise, ‘In Victoria, they are changing green rubbish bin lids for red ones to fall in line with the State Government Policy, and have been doing this for quite a while now.’

‘What bright spark in parliament decided to make a colour change of the lids at the cost of the Victorian Tax Payer, especially when times are tough already as they are?’ they continued.

This is certainly a cause for concern and warrants a closer look.

Our research showed this is a part of the Victorian Government’s Circular Economy Strategy to cut waste and boost reuse and recycling. This strategy means every Council in Victoria is required to transition to a standardised bin system with uniform bin colours by 2027.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 2.07.21 pm.png
Red lids will gradually replace green lids. Image Credit: bayside.vic.gov.au

These include:
  • Red-lidded general waste bins,
  • Green-lidded food and green waste bins (called food organics and garden organics FOGO),
  • Yellow-lidded recycling bins [next phase],
  • The introduction of a separate glass recycling service [final phase].
The goal is to have a standardised household bin system, no matter where you live in Victoria.

The rollout has already commenced, and according to the Bayside VIC Council website, you can request a new red-lidded general waste bin.

‘We know that the initial changeover may be missed or forgotten by some. If that’s your household, no worries - simply put your old dark green bin out and complete this form to get your old dark green bin collected and recycled.’

The website goes on to answer a number of questions, such as: ‘Why didn’t we just replace the lid?’

In response, the Council advised they ‘were unable to simply change the lids due to the variety of different bin types that are currently in use across the community. These bins are from a range of suppliers which require different lids and hinge points.’

They continued, ‘It would be logistically challenging and inefficient to try and retrofit the diversity of bins that exist. The reason we’ve opted for a black body is that they can be made of higher recycled content.’

The Council confirmed, ‘The old bins will get recycled locally in Cheltenham at Astron Plastics and will be recycled into new bins.’

This initiative kicked off in 2020 following the unfortunate collapse of Victoria's largest recycling company, SKM. Thousands of tonnes of valuable recyclable materials ended up in landfill– a veritable blow to the recycling zeitgeist.

Victoria's revised waste management aims to ensure better waste separation and a commitment to divert 80 per cent of waste away from landfill by 2030.

The funding will also establish a brand new facility to turn hard-to-recycle materials into sustainable building products. An additional $175,000 will go towards processing oversized green waste into organic, carbon-rich soil additives for the agricultural industry.

This certainly raises questions about how state and federal budgets can be used effectively and whether or not they currently are. In times of extreme financial uncertainty, it's challenging to justify excessive spending on the colour of bins. Though, we can recognise the valiant efforts towards protecting the environment.

Key Takeaways

• All households in Victoria will soon have four wheelie bins as part of a state government’s recycling system reform.
  • All 79 local councils in Victoria will be required to transition by 2030.
  • The recycling reforms also include a commitment to divert 80 per cent of waste from landfill by 2030.

We hope that the next reforms to be announced will help Australian seniors rather than focusing on superficial things, like standardising the look of bin day.

Finally, thank you to member Michael S. for bringing this to our attention. Members, we would love to hear from you. Do you think this is a good use of Australian taxpayer money? Could some of these funds have been diverted elsewhere?

Sponsored
It's about time we built some WASTE TO ENERGY plants; burn all the rubbish, capture the emissions and make electricity from the furnace. Singapore has been doing it for years. If our alleged technically advanced country doesn't have the expertise to build them, I'm sure some Singaporean Companies would be only too pleased to come and build some for us.

Reactions: Shane/#
That's interesting. My neighbour's daughter moved to inner Melbourne and lives near a hospital, as she's training to be a surgeon. She tells me that the rubbish bins are a smaller size, compared to the regular bin size. Hoping their budget allows the food scrap bin to be emptied weekly.

We absolutely love hearing from members who have topic recommendations or simply want to keep us in the loop! Recently, an SDC member wrote in to advise, ‘In Victoria, they are changing green rubbish bin lids for red ones to fall in line with the State Government Policy, and have been doing this for quite a while now.’

‘What bright spark in parliament decided to make a colour change of the lids at the cost of the Victorian Tax Payer, especially when times are tough already as they are?’ they continued.

Our research showed this is a part of the Victorian Government’s Circular Economy Strategy to cut waste and boost reuse and recycling. This strategy means every Council in Victoria is required to transition to a standardised bin system with uniform bin colours by 2027.

View attachment 23731

These include:
  • Green-lidded food and green waste bins (called food organics and garden organics FOGO),
The goal is to have a standardised household bin system, no matter where you live in Victoria.

The rollout has already commenced, and according to the Bayside VIC Council website, you can request a new red-lidded general waste bin.

‘We know that the initial changeover may be missed or forgotten by some. If that’s your household, no worries - simply put your old dark green bin out and complete this form to get your old dark green bin collected and recycled.’

The website goes on to answer a number of questions, such as: ‘Why didn’t we just replace the lid?’

In response, the Council advised they ‘were unable to simply change the lids due to the variety of different bin types that are currently in use across the community. These bins are from a range of suppliers which require different lids and hinge points.’

They continued, ‘It would be logistically challenging and inefficient to try and retrofit the diversity of bins that exist. The reason we’ve opted for a black body is that they can be made of higher recycled content.’

The Council confirmed, ‘The old bins will get recycled locally in Cheltenham at Astron Plastics and will be recycled into new bins.’

This initiative kicked off in 2020 following the unfortunate collapse of Victoria's largest recycling company, SKM. Thousands of tonnes of valuable recyclable materials ended up in landfill– a veritable blow to the recycling zeitgeist.

Victoria's revised waste management aims to ensure better waste separation and a commitment to divert 80 per cent of waste away from landfill by 2030.

The funding will also establish a brand new facility to turn hard-to-recycle materials into sustainable building products. An additional $175,000 will go towards processing oversized green waste into organic, carbon-rich soil additives for the agricultural industry.

This certainly raises questions about how state and federal budgets can be used effectively and whether or not they currently are. In times of extreme financial uncertainty, it's challenging to justify excessive spending on the colour of bins. Though, we can recognise the valiant efforts towards protecting the environment.

Key Takeaways

• All households in Victoria will soon have four wheelie bins as part of a state government’s recycling system reform.
  • The recycling reforms also include a commitment to divert 80 per cent of waste from landfill by 2030.

We hope that the next reforms to be announced will help Australian seniors rather than focusing on superficial things, like standardising the look of bin day.

Finally, thank you to member Michael S. for bringing this to our attention. Members, we would love to hear from you. Do you think this is a good use of Australian taxpayer money? Could some of these funds have been diverted elsewhere?
so, with a bin for organics, a bin for glass, a bin for plastics etc that means that there will be 3 or 4 trucks and crew traveling the exact same route as each other picking up 1 bin each. isn't that going to put a strain on council rates or are the rates going to be increased to pay for it all

Reactions: elaine41 and Mark1
What a waste of money. I wonder who will come & pull all these bins to kerb for elderly. There are weeks already when I struggle to get my greentop bin out & my yellow top (recycle) bin has not been taken out for several months now as I can't pull another bin out. And then you have to do the reverse with all these bins the next day. Useless pollies who have no idea of life after 80.

What a waste of money. I wonder who will come & pull all these bins to kerb for elderly. There are weeks already when I struggle to get my greentop bin out & my yellow top (recycle) bin has not been taken out for several months now as I can't pull another bin out. And then you have to do the reverse with all these bins the next day. Useless pollies who have no idea of life after 80.
Seriously? Old people are not that frail. They already have bins that have to be moved to the kerb, they will just get new colouerd bins not more or fewer bins. Whatever arrangement they have now will continue.

What difference will the colour of bin make to your circumstances?
BTY did you know there are companies whose job it is to take the bins out and return them after collection? They even wash them periodically. I don't know where you are but in my area they are called MyBins. Check out your area if you need help.

Reactions: terri
We've had that system forever in SA, so the right things are put out for collection. One nappy in a recycle bin or green bin nothing in the bin can be used. So each colour has a certain type of things put in it. Only the red bin is currently collected weekly in most suburbs and the yellow and green bins fortnightly.

Reactions: Penny4
The new red lidded rubbish bins are quite a bit smaller than the original bins were
Yes they reduced the size of the red bins for houses. Units still have the larger red bins where I am.

Seriously? Old people are not that frail. They already have bins that have to be moved to the kerb, they will just get new colouerd bins not more or fewer bins. Whatever arrangement they have now will continue.
Who are you kidding? How old are you? How much arthritis will you have when you are in your 80s? How far do you have to drag your bin? Councils are now wanting to have up to 4 bins/household.

Who are you kidding? How old are you? How much arthritis will you have when you are in your 80s? How far do you have to drag your bin? Councils are now wanting to have up to 4 bins/household.
The point is, they move the bins now somehow so nothing will change. Whatever arrangements they have will just continue.

so, with a bin for organics, a bin for glass, a bin for plastics etc that means that there will be 3 or 4 trucks and crew traveling the exact same route as each other picking up 1 bin each. isn't that going to put a strain on council rates or are the rates going to be increased to pay for it all
AS IS THE CURRENT WAY. Still the 2 trucks that alternate each week, general waste landfill followed by the recycle truck with 2 compartments. The lifting arm AI will ID the lid colour and determine which compartment for glass and the separated other recyclable, the following week is general waste (Landfill) & the green waste.

View attachment 23731

These include:

Key Takeaways

this government is a WASTE of space.

Changing bin lid colors feels a bit silly, especially when folks are struggling. I get it—everyone wants to do their part for the environment, but sometimes the little things seem like a waste.

My rubbish will still all go in one bin. I don't have the time or energy to stand at a line of bins & manhandle the rubbish from my kitchen tidy into separate bins. Cardboard breaks down very quickly when left out in the weather so no real need to recycle - it will just become compost & make a healthier (hahaha) rubbish tip.

My rubbish will still all go in one bin. I don't have the time or energy to stand at a line of bins & manhandle the rubbish from my kitchen tidy into separate bins. Cardboard breaks down very quickly when left out in the weather so no real need to recycle - it will just become compost & make a healthier (hahaha) rubbish tip.
leave your cardboard out in the rain one less to put in the bin. OH! i forgot you are not going to be using more than one bin. let the maggotts run free.