SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #489 - 26/09/2024

Question 1: Which plant is the primary source of chocolate?

The cacao tree, native to Central and South America, produces pods containing seeds that are processed to make chocolate. The scientific name of the cacao tree is Theobroma cacao, which means "food of the gods" in Greek.

Question 2: Which country is the origin of the alcoholic drink sake?

Sake, also known as Japanese rice wine, has been produced in Japan for centuries. It is made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran.

Question 3: Why did Ernest Hemingway title his book "The Sun Also Rises"?

The title "The Sun Also Rises" is taken from Ecclesiastes 1:5 in the Bible, which reads: "The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose." The title suggests the cyclical nature of life and the persistence of time despite the characters' aimless lives after World War I.

Question 4: If a computer has more transistors, what does it generally indicate about its processing power?

In general, the more transistors a computer's processor has, the more powerful and faster it is. Transistors are tiny switches that form the foundation of modern computing. A processor with a higher transistor count can perform more calculations simultaneously, leading to faster overall performance across a wide range of computing tasks, not just gaming.

Question 5: When were the famous Terracotta Warriors of Xi'an, China discovered?

The Terracotta Army, a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the armies of the first Emperor of China, was discovered on 29 March 1974 by local farmers drilling a water well approximately 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) east of the Qin Emperor's tomb mound at Mount Li, a region riddled with underground springs and watercourses. The Terracotta Army is now a UNESCO World Heritage site and a popular tourist attraction.

Question 6: When was the first appearance of Wolverine in Marvel Comics?

Wolverine first appeared in the final panel of The Incredible Hulk #180 in October 1974, and then had a more substantial role in #181 the following month. He was created by writer Len Wein and Marvel art director John Romita Sr., who designed the character.

Question 7: When is the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah celebrated?

Hanukkah is an eight-day Jewish holiday that commemorates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem. It usually falls in December on the Gregorian calendar, though the exact dates vary each year since it follows the Hebrew calendar. Hanukkah is also known as the Festival of Lights, as the holiday is celebrated by lighting candles on a menorah each night.

Question 8: What is the term for a formal written accusation of a crime made by a grand jury and presented to a court for prosecution against an accused person?

An indictment is a formal accusation or charge based on a finding by a grand jury that it is likely that the person charged committed the criminal offense described in the indictment and that an acceptable reason exists for the case to proceed to trial. In the federal criminal system, the indictment is the principal method by which a prosecutor initiates criminal proceedings.

Question 9: Who is credited with inventing the first practical and widely used assembly line for mass production?

Henry Ford revolutionized manufacturing with the introduction of the moving assembly line in 1913 at his Highland Park plant. This innovation greatly reduced the time it took to produce an automobile, making mass production of affordable cars possible for the first time.

Question 10: How is the performance of a company's stock typically measured?

A stock's performance is primarily measured by the change in its price over time. While factors like dividend yield, P/E ratio, and market cap provide insights into a stock's value and the company's financial health, the stock price itself is the most direct indicator of how a stock is performing in the market.

You got answers correct

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #489
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥
Q3 Never read books that glorify animal cruelty. Bullfighting is abhorrent.👎
Q10 🤷🏻‍♀️With a piece of string? Or casting runes? No idea.👎
Q5 & Q6 ✅✅ The Year of my golden Holden HQ. Remember it well! 😸

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #489
Question 3: 🟩

Lucky guess #6 😊

Not sure about “the answer” given for #10…
I have played the share market all my life, and I always thought and told by my broker that
“The performance of a company’s stock is typically measured by price to earnings ratio”

Last edited:
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #489
Question 6: 🟥

After the dizzy heights of the last three days, I have done an Icarus and fell to earth.

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #489
Question 3: 🟩

Lucky guess #6 😊

Not sure about “the answer” given for #10…
I have played the share market all my life, and I always thought and told my broker that
“The performance of a company’s stock is typically measured by price to earnings ratio”
I totally agree with your analysis of Question 10!

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #489
Question 6: 🟥

After the dizzy heights of the last three days, I have done an Icarus and fell to earth.

I totally agree with your analysis of Question 10!
I thought Q10 was price to earnings ratio too.