SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #479 - 16/09/2024

Question 1: Why is Pompeii such a significant archeological site?

Pompeii is a remarkably well-preserved ancient Roman city. In 79 AD, the nearby volcano Mount Vesuvius erupted, burying the city in a thick layer of volcanic ash. This ash preserved the city in its state from that day, providing archeologists with a detailed snapshot of ancient Roman life.

Question 2: Where did the English word "tsunami" originate from?

The word "tsunami" comes from the Japanese language, where it literally translates to "harbor wave". It is a combination of the words "tsu" (meaning harbor) and "nami" (meaning wave). The term was adopted into the English language in the late 19th century.

Question 3: Where did Albert Einstein publish his theory of special relativity?

In 1905, Albert Einstein published his theory of special relativity in the German physics journal Annalen der Physik. This groundbreaking paper, titled "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies," laid the foundation for modern physics and revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and the relationship between energy and matter.

Question 4: What does the acronym "HTTP" stand for?

HTTP, which stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol, is the foundation of data communication for the World Wide Web. It defines how messages are formatted and transmitted, and what actions web servers and browsers should take in response to various commands.

Question 5: Where is the International Criminal Court (ICC) headquartered?

The International Criminal Court (ICC) is an intergovernmental organization and international tribunal headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands. It prosecutes individuals for international crimes such as genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and the crime of aggression.

Question 6: If someone is described as "loquacious," it means they tend to do what?

Loquacious is an adjective that describes someone who talks a lot or is very talkative. It comes from the Latin word "loqui," which means "to speak."

Question 7: How many keys are on a standard full-size piano?

A standard full-size piano has 88 keys, consisting of 52 white keys and 36 black keys. The piano's keyboard covers a range of over seven octaves.

Question 8: In the periodic table, what is the symbol for the element Mercury?

The symbol for Mercury is Hg, which comes from the element's Latin name, hydrargyrum, meaning "liquid silver". Mercury is the only metallic element that is liquid at standard conditions for temperature and pressure.

Question 9: What was the title of Michael Jackson's first solo album released in 1979?

"Off the Wall" was Michael Jackson's fifth studio album and his first solo album released through Epic Records in 1979. The album featured hit singles such as "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" and "Rock with You," and it helped establish Jackson as a successful solo artist.

Question 10: Which actress won an Academy Award for her role in the 2010 film Black Swan?

Natalie Portman won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of Nina Sayers, a talented ballerina who grapples with her sanity, in Darren Aronofsky's psychological thriller Black Swan. The film was a critical and commercial success, grossing over $329 million worldwide.

You got answers correct

How do you get the answers to these questions posted on here? I saved them to the clipboard & thought that I would see them but I don’t ☹️
Please… can someone help me as I am not very good with technology 😎

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #479
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

I’m happy with 90%….
Never was a fan of #9….got it wrong and I can definitely live with that 😊😊
Absolutely glorious sunshine ☀️ in my part of the country!!