SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #449 - 17/08/2024

Question 1: Which actor played the character Forrest Gump in the 1994 movie of the same name?

Tom Hanks portrayed the title character in Forrest Gump, a role for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. The film was a critical and commercial success, becoming a cultural phenomenon and winning six Oscars, including Best Picture.

Question 2: What was the name of the fictional town in the TV series "Twin Peaks"?

The eerie, surreal town of Twin Peaks, Washington was the setting for David Lynch's groundbreaking 1990-91 TV series. The show revolved around the mysterious death of high school student Laura Palmer and the secrets lurking beneath the surface of this seemingly idyllic small town in the Pacific Northwest.

Question 3: In Christianity, what is the sacred book called that consists of the Old Testament and the New Testament?

The Bible is the holy scripture of the Christian religion, comprised of the Old Testament which primarily chronicles God's covenant with the Israelites, and the New Testament which focuses on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

Question 4: What is the term for a piece of music written for a solo instrument accompanied by an orchestra?

A concerto is a musical composition typically composed in three parts or movements, in which (usually) one solo instrument (for instance, a piano, violin, cello or flute) is accompanied by an orchestra or concert band.

Question 5: When did the Inca Empire reach its peak?

The Inca Empire, centered in modern-day Peru, reached its peak around 1500 AD under the rule of Huayna Capac. At its height, the empire stretched from modern-day Chile to Ecuador and had a population of around 12 million people. The empire was known for its impressive engineering feats, including an extensive road network and the mountaintop citadel of Machu Picchu.

Question 6: Where is reality TV star Kim Kardashian originally from?

Kim Kardashian was born in Los Angeles, California in 1980. She first gained media attention as a friend and stylist of Paris Hilton, but received wider notice after the release of her sex tape in 2007.

Question 7: In which Italian city can Michelangelo's famous sculpture of David be found?

Michelangelo's iconic marble statue of David, sculpted between 1501 and 1504, is housed in the Galleria dell'Accademia in Florence, Italy. The sculpture, standing at 17 feet tall, is considered a masterpiece of the Renaissance era.

Question 8: What invention revolutionized the textile industry during the Industrial Revolution?

The Spinning Jenny, invented by James Hargreaves in 1764, was a multi-spindle spinning frame that greatly increased the amount of cotton thread that could be spun compared to a spinning wheel. This invention played a key role in the mechanization of the textile industry during the Industrial Revolution.

Question 9: Which country is home to the iconic Machu Picchu archaeological site?

Machu Picchu is an ancient Inca city located high in the Andes Mountains of Peru. It was built in the 15th century and later abandoned, only to be rediscovered in 1911. Today, it is a popular tourist destination and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, known for its impressive stone architecture and stunning mountain views.

Question 10: In Greek mythology, why was Pandora given a box?

According to Greek mythology, Pandora was the first woman created by the gods. Zeus ordered her creation as punishment to Prometheus for stealing fire and giving it to humanity. Pandora was given a box (in modern accounts, sometimes mistranslated as a jar) which contained all the evils of the world. Tempted by her curiosity, Pandora opened the box, releasing all the misfortunes that now plague humanity.

You got answers correct

Reactions: Giovanna57 and jsan
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #449
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

The answer to 10 is not the answer to the question. She was a punishment, but why was she given the box?

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #449
Question 8: 🟩
SDC , please check your questions as against the answers 5 & 10 I believe are WRONG.
I think I should be awarded a 10/10. 😼😼
Or did I read the questions wrong?? 😾 😾

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #449
Question 8: 🟩
SDC , please check your questions as against the answers 5 & 10 I believe are WRONG.
I think I should be awarded a 10/10. 😼😼
Or did I read the questions wrong?? 😾 😾
Didn’t Pizarro conquer the Inca in 1532? Weren’t they at their peak then? Looked up Incas last week while checking on Machu Picchu. 😸Award yourself a bonus anyway for knowing Q6