Savvy shoppers share ‘tried and true’ tips to save money! — Here’s how you can get a bang for your buck

Who doesn't love a good bargain? With the economy the way it is today, it's more important than ever to save money wherever we can.

Bargain tips are one of our favourite things here at the SDC. Not only do they help us cut down our bills, but they also help us get more for our hard-earned money.

That's why we're always on the lookout for great bargain tips to share with you all (and we encourage you to check them out at the Money Saving Hacks and Deals, Discounts, and Bargains sections of the website).

Speaking of discount hunting, we're happy to share with you some of the best little-known money-saving tricks that social media users revealed.

Are you ready to find out how?

Mum-of-two Chelsea has initiated a discussion about bargain hunting on the Aldi Mums Facebook group, outlining her family's circumstances and their desire to save money for their first home.

'We have two small children, two years old and five months old. We are currently trying to save for a house deposit while renting and as most of you know, it's very difficult,' she posted.

'The only thing we can really cut is the food shop. Meat is probably the biggest thing. Can everyone give me their best tips? I'm assuming rice and spaghetti dishes are the cheapest.'

Chelsea's post has captured the attention of hundreds of group members who offered some of their 'tried and true’ methods on how to score the best deals on groceries and other essentials, with many recommending shopping at ALDI or Costco for cheaper finds

XgX4pO2ttLj-DB6yYvJgCasi2jPPi7iY9otH2AX0YeCMVmKovSySNcw0qsgVyttfPffBCJnmqe_Hzswy1xoosl3N80JaI6hRh_R2CWvKKHoKcm2bLM3hjRR2gRaIVDvHIICJr7nm-qi4sHaA1J3f

Savvy shoppers took to social media to share some of their best practices for bargain hunting. Credit: Getty Images.

Others advised chopping a whole roast chicken into serving-sized pieces, and making soup from the bones.

One mum shared: 'We are a family of seven and buy two or three Aldi chickens, cut them down, and it works out to about 70c per piece.

'Then use the carcass with vegetable scraps to make chicken stock, to save you buying stock. You can freeze it or it lasts in the fridge for a while.'

For those people who are looking to add more vegetables to their diet, several users said that opting for a more plant-based diet helps with cutting down expenses, advising to try some vegetarian meals a few nights a week or using red lentils and other legumes to stretch mince preparations.

Meanwhile, for those of you who are not willing to give up meat, one savvy shopper suggested that when purchasing meat, it is frequently less expensive to go to a wholesale butcher, buy in bulk, and chop the meat into servings before freezing.

A user, who believes that her family was in a comparable situation with the mum, also offered her suggestions, writing: 'My biggest tip is to make sure a dinner for the family is never more than $10 in total. The $6.99 for 2kg of drumsticks are the best value chicken and can be extremely versatile.'

'You could easily turn one bag into three to four nights' worth of meals. You can boil them up to pull off the meat and add to any meal such as a stir fry or they can be used in a casserole or cooked in the oven or on the BBQ!'

'Also the bulk sausages for $10.99 can be used as is or you can use the meat from them in mince recipes.'

Honestly, we here at the SDC are fans of bulk buying and meal prepping since it is more cost and time efficient compared to doing your groceries weekly, so we definitely back the claims that some savvy shoppers shared.

It should be noted, however, that not all grocery essentials can be bought in bulk as they spoil faster than other items.

Below are some of our recommended items for bulk buying when they’re on sale:

1. Pasta
2. Tinned tomatoes
3. Rice
4. Coffee pods
5. Tea bags
6. Toilet paper
7. Puff pastry
8. Cheese

We also recommend checking out this article where we share the best practices for preparing your meals in advance.

So, there you have it, folks! Do you know other bargain tips? Share them with us in the comments below so other members can try them too!

Sponsored
Way before covid I always had a well stocked pantry I even added a large cupboard to my laundry, one side for cleaning products including personal care the other side for canned and bottled food. I had to do this with such a large family
I shop every week for meat dairy fruit n veg but also shop for 50% off items I never pay full price for shampoo,Screenshot_20220720-091116_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220720-091134_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220720-091129_Gallery.jpg washing detergents , softeners, toilet paper, paper towel , tissues ect

Worth it to invest in a pressure cooker - as you can make really tender meat stews and casseroles from cheap cuts of meat hat are just as gray and probably have more flavour than expensive steaks and chops. Also makes wonderful bone broth in a fraction of the time that boiling does for long periods. Also great for soups.
I love mine that was just a cheapie from Aldi

Worth it to invest in a pressure cooker - as you can make really tender meat stews and casseroles from cheap cuts of meat hat are just as gray and probably have more flavour than expensive steaks and chops. Also makes wonderful bone broth in a fraction of the time that boiling does for long periods. Also great for soups.
Sorry about the typos 😞

A slow cooker is also a must have item

Oats have a high protein content and can be added to both savory and sweet dishes. Google oat recipes for inspiration.

Reactions: barbaranne
Where have all the lamb neck bones gone, they make a great casserole.

I agree about the oats, preferable quick variety, a few tablespoons added to any type of slow cooked meats etc makes the whole dish go further, thicker and more delicious.