Reddit users were blown away by brilliant trolley hack at Coles’ self-serve checkout: “Changed my world”

If you’ve ever awkwardly fumbled your way through a tiny self-serve checkout in an attempt to get a ton of your heavy items scanned and paid for as quickly as possible, then we’re glad to announce that Coles has finally answered your prayers.

A Reddit user took notice of a new trolley feature at Coles’ self-serve checkouts and it’s being hailed as a ‘game-changer’ by hundreds of shoppers.

In the Reddit post, the user shared that he was astonished when he unexpectedly stumbled upon the fact that Coles’ trolleys fit over the basket counter at self-serve checkouts, which in turn makes it much more convenient to unload and scan shopper’s items.

pKNydy-JhL85ewb2ncvlAY8lU2t4j0rMVqWaJHox5f1zLj_iw5jGY9PipBcaErwLsB7KKj7ubon5M002qckRYuBxGan0lCOgf0SHe3VGr0sgcsEkaUzea3vS4rjLI0r3U9RWPIaE

A Reddit user took notice of Coles’ new feature. Image Credit: 7news.com.au

“Am I the only person that didn’t know you could slide these trolleys over the self-checkout?” the user asked.

Hundreds of users shared in the amazement that the trolleys are designed with self-serve shoppers in mind.

“I had this shown to me by an attendant only last week. Mind Blown.” another said.

Even an employee for Coles was unaware of the feature. They commented: “I work at Coles and I’m only just learning this.” Must be pretty top secret eh?

“Mind-blowing! I didn’t know this at all.” said another.

“Same here. I found out a couple of weeks ago. Changed my world.”

Many were flabbergasted when they realised how much time they had wasted trying to position and manoeuvre their trolley out of traffic of other shoppers.

“You can ****ing what? How have I never tried this or seen it after all these years?” one person exclaimed.

A spokesperson for Coles confirmed that shelves at several of Coles’ self-serve checkouts have been slightly altered to allow trolleys to fit perfectly by the registers. They added that they expect the roll-outs to be completed by the end of 2022.

The spokesperson also touched on the fantastic customer feedback they have been receiving ever since implementing the change.

“Coles is making it easier for customers to use trolleys in our self-checkout area by lowering the basket shelf so our smaller trolleys can fit right over the top. This saves space and means customers can quickly scan products from their trolley and place them directly.” the spokesperson said.

“The new layout has already been introduced in hundreds of new and refreshed Coles supermarkets with the roll-out expected to be complete by the end of this year.”

What do you say, folks? We’re just as impressed by this slight alteration as all of the above shoppers... A round of applause for Coles and their new feature!

Need more grocery hacks? We’ve got another great read for you here.

Sponsored
This change has also been made at Woolworths. This happened at my local Woolworths supermarket before it happened at my local Coles supermarket.

Reactions: Ricci and Janet g
Reddit users were blown away by brilliant trolley hack at Coles’ self-serve checkout: “Changed my world”

If you’ve ever awkwardly fumbled your way through a tiny self-serve checkout in an attempt to get a ton of your heavy items scanned and paid for as quickly as possible, then we’re glad to announce that Coles has finally answered your prayers.

A Reddit user took notice of a new trolley feature at Coles’ self-serve checkouts and it’s being hailed as a ‘game-changer’ by hundreds of shoppers.

In the Reddit post, the user shared that he was astonished when he unexpectedly stumbled upon the fact that Coles’ trolleys fit over the basket counter at self-serve checkouts, which in turn makes it much more convenient to unload and scan shopper’s items.

pKNydy-JhL85ewb2ncvlAY8lU2t4j0rMVqWaJHox5f1zLj_iw5jGY9PipBcaErwLsB7KKj7ubon5M002qckRYuBxGan0lCOgf0SHe3VGr0sgcsEkaUzea3vS4rjLI0r3U9RWPIaE

“Am I the only person that didn’t know you could slide these trolleys over the self-checkout?” the user asked.

Hundreds of users shared in the amazement that the trolleys are designed with self-serve shoppers in mind.

“I had this shown to me by an attendant only last week. Mind Blown.” another said.

Even an employee for Coles was unaware of the feature. They commented: “I work at Coles and I’m only just learning this.” Must be pretty top secret eh?

Many were flabbergasted when they realised how much time they had wasted trying to position and manoeuvre their trolley out of traffic of other shoppers.

“You can ****ing what? How have I never tried this or seen it after all these years?” one person exclaimed.

A spokesperson for Coles confirmed that shelves at several of Coles’ self-serve checkouts have been slightly altered to allow trolleys to fit perfectly by the registers. They added that they expect the roll-outs to be completed by the end of 2022.

The spokesperson also touched on the fantastic customer feedback they have been receiving ever since implementing the change.

“Coles is making it easier for customers to use trolleys in our self-checkout area by lowering the basket shelf so our smaller trolleys can fit right over the top. This saves space and means customers can quickly scan products from their trolley and place them directly.” the spokesperson said.

“The new layout has already been introduced in hundreds of new and refreshed Coles supermarkets with the roll-out expected to be complete by the end of this year.”

What do you say, folks? We’re just as impressed by this slight alteration as all of the above shoppers... A round of applause for Coles and their new feature!

Need more grocery hacks? We’ve got another great read for you
here.
This is correct information however both my local Coles stores have rubbish bins under the shelf which stops you pushing the trolley forward - I’ve suggested they are in the way but no one listens 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Lindyloo and Ricci

here.
I was shown this by a Woolies attendant too. Blew me away!!👍🥰

Reactions: Ricci

here.
Our local Woolworths has has this feature for quite some time now!

Reactions: Ricci

here.
I never use self check out. As far as I'm concerned self-checkout is taking jobs away from people, just another way the supermarkets reducing their overheads and increasing their profit margin.

I'm disabled so I have to do all my shopping from my wheelchair. I can't use self-checkouts anywhere. None of them are made at a height that someone in a wheelchair can reach. I really want one of these supermarkets to put at least one disabled height checkout for all of us. We're customers too!

I'm disabled so I have to do all my shopping from my wheelchair. I can't use self-checkouts anywhere. None of them are made at a height that someone in a wheelchair can reach. I really want one of these supermarkets to put at least one disabled height checkout for all of us. We're customers too!
Hi Leanneh, it must be so frustrating for you. Have you thought about ringing both Coles and Woolworths customer service departments and put forward your idea.

Reactions: Rochelle

here.
My concern is Supermarkets are breaking away from servicing Mums with prams and those in wheelchairs

This is correct information however both my local Coles stores have rubbish bins under the shelf which stops you pushing the trolley forward - I’ve suggested they are in the way but no one listens 🤷‍♀️
I'm not surprised they don't listen. The bottom line is their profit. They don't really care about their customers

here.
Please stop using area under these as storage !

Reactions: Nanna@Goulburn
I was made aware of it when my Coles changed their self serve checkouts, before Covid-19 came out. So I have known this for a couple of years. Bunbury South Coles must be well ahead of the game, my local Woolies stores haven't even changed to this feature yet.