On his 110th birthday, the oldest living Australian, Frank Mawer, looks back on a life well-lived

Have you ever wondered what's it like to be the oldest living person in the world, or at least here in Australia?

Frank Mawer, who just turned 110 years old, says that it can be quite difficult, given that he has witnessed two World Wars, two global pandemics, and many heartbreaking losses of his loved ones.

He definitely didn't think he'd reach this milestone in his lifetime, but Mr Mawer says that even though he's been alive for a long time, he still appreciates and enjoys the small moments of happiness he gets to have every single day.

'I have six children, 13 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren,' he says proudly. 'I live day by day and take each day as it comes.'

After Dexter Kruger, who had lived to reach 111, passed away in July 2021, Mr Mawer took over the title as the oldest person in the country.

NJtvkCOQYs12bpQe3T7W4htJl8Lw4r7M72M7QOkK11h9Jc-YCuQKlQ1wQRmBNS-G8rTBloimDrsUj-lwuC0awQlj2U9zJE_qoWdOMZM4PLiW6N4zzXmnaOYOjwf-O_O5pJrM2X8_CAkaS6Chv_xqdbs

Frank Mawer, who is currently 110 years old, holds the record for being Australia's oldest living person. Credit: ABC South East NSW: Fatima Olumee.

Mr Mawer, who was born on August 15, 1912, has seen his share of tragedy, including not one but two global pandemics. The first was the Spanish flu, which ended up having a huge impact on his family.

At the end of the First World War, a huge outbreak of the Spanish flu killed more than 50 million people around the world.

Even though quarantines were put in place quickly in October 1918, the Spanish flu started to show up in Australia in early 1919. As the virus spread throughout the country, about 40% of the population got sick, and about 15,000 people passed away from the sickness.

One of them was Mr Mawer's older brother, who was only 20 years old at the time. After witnessing his brother's death, he had no choice but to 'brush it off as young kids do'.

During the years that followed, his mother passed away, he dropped out of school, and he became separated and estranged from his siblings.

While Mr Mawer's three sisters entered the domestic service industry, he was sent to take a job as a 14-year-old worker on a dairy farm in the Mid North Coast region of New South Wales, not far from the Macleay River.

'That broke up the home, as we became wards of the state,' says the 110-year-old.

gAZp87UjMPB-4vduMpnoPYcEu79WuU5FG039DqztNWFXsvNiuYvaQAPVplA7EpaUsc3tKj6qwsU05Mlr7mnuWxuqOq8c3CwsY8ohn5xk1icnzLJMwcdLmxWGJhdf8qrQhkxx4eSGVhqnhrlIi4jvkaM

Frank Mawer had to work when he was only 14 because his mother had passed away. Credit: Frank Mawer.

Mr Mawer had to mature at a young age, and while much of it was unpleasant, he does have some wonderful memories from that time that he likes to remember now and then.

As a teenager, he did some of the 'childish' activities he had never done before, including riding horses and swimming in the ocean, and he said these are only some of the amazing experiences he would likely never forget.

During the time that he spent working at the farm, he also had the chance to meet an Irish girl named Elizabeth, who later went on to become his cherished wife in the years to come.

He was learning to be a carpenter in Sydney, where she worked as a secretary. 'Occasionally, I would pass the office, put my gaze on her, and take her out to get some ice cream,' Mr Mawer recalled.

The two tied the knot in 1939, just before the Second World War broke out.

Frank and Elizabeth Mawer had been happily married for more than 70 years before her untimely death in 2012.

Before her battle with breast cancer, Mrs Mawer was diagnosed with dementia. And during the years leading up to her passing, her husband never left her side and was the one taking care of her.

'She didn't want to be cooped up in the unit, and she would sometimes get out, and I would find her in someone else's house,' Mr Mawer says.

According to the centenarian, losing his one and only wife has been one of the greatest challenges in his life.

'It was a big shock … I miss her. She was my life partner, we had a great marriage, and I have no regrets,' he says.

w6V2cV5FteBiyCtpDrVV_OGggiKI6UHzJGU0zF_-6kZoj5U9Q_Tb6PzkalRGR6ZWK4wweqXqQ0XDxJxA6gIM8vIh_9HUplKJ94bshfhu_0zg4uT1zh07x6nnpfmGvb8m39ITtvHtOQ32FQzrwThAw9o

Before she passed away in 2012, Elizabeth Mawer and Frank Mawer had been wed for over 70 years. Credit: Frank Mawer.

Mr Mawer currently resides in Central Tilba on the South Coast of New South Wales with his son, Philip Mawer, who is 73 years old. There, his son and his son's partner, Stuart, are providing for his care and keeping him comfortable.

When asked about what it's like to share a home with his father, the 73-year-old responds that it's an honour and a 'privilege'.

'He's remarkably stoic, and he'll put up with a lot of discomforts, and he won't complain as he's an optimistic person,' he says. 'He wants to live. He just values the day, and he lives for the day.'

Having maintained an optimistic view despite the many hardships he has encountered is no minor feat, and we applaud Mr Mawer for doing so.

All of us here at the SDC hope that he may continue to have many more years filled with joy and good health!

What do you think about the story, members? We hope Mr Mawer will be as inspiring to you as he is to us!

Sponsored
Have you ever wondered what's it like to be the oldest living person in the world, or at least here in Australia?

Frank Mawer, who just turned 110 years old, says that it can be quite difficult, given that he has witnessed two World Wars, two global pandemics, and many heartbreaking losses of his loved ones.

He definitely didn't think he'd reach this milestone in his lifetime, but Mr Mawer says that even though he's been alive for a long time, he still appreciates and enjoys the small moments of happiness he gets to have every single day.

'I have six children, 13 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren,' he says proudly. 'I live day by day and take each day as it comes.'

After Dexter Kruger, who had lived to reach 111, passed away in July 2021, Mr Mawer took over the title as the oldest person in the country.

NJtvkCOQYs12bpQe3T7W4htJl8Lw4r7M72M7QOkK11h9Jc-YCuQKlQ1wQRmBNS-G8rTBloimDrsUj-lwuC0awQlj2U9zJE_qoWdOMZM4PLiW6N4zzXmnaOYOjwf-O_O5pJrM2X8_CAkaS6Chv_xqdbs

Frank Mawer, who is currently 110 years old, holds the record for being Australia's oldest living person. Credit: ABC South East NSW: Fatima Olumee.

Mr Mawer, who was born on August 15, 1912, has seen his share of tragedy, including not one but two global pandemics. The first was the Spanish flu, which ended up having a huge impact on his family.

At the end of the First World War, a huge outbreak of the Spanish flu killed more than 50 million people around the world.

Even though quarantines were put in place quickly in October 1918, the Spanish flu started to show up in Australia in early 1919. As the virus spread throughout the country, about 40% of the population got sick, and about 15,000 people passed away from the sickness.

One of them was Mr Mawer's older brother, who was only 20 years old at the time. After witnessing his brother's death, he had no choice but to 'brush it off as young kids do'.

During the years that followed, his mother passed away, he dropped out of school, and he became separated and estranged from his siblings.

While Mr Mawer's three sisters entered the domestic service industry, he was sent to take a job as a 14-year-old worker on a dairy farm in the Mid North Coast region of New South Wales, not far from the Macleay River.

'That broke up the home, as we became wards of the state,' says the 110-year-old.

gAZp87UjMPB-4vduMpnoPYcEu79WuU5FG039DqztNWFXsvNiuYvaQAPVplA7EpaUsc3tKj6qwsU05Mlr7mnuWxuqOq8c3CwsY8ohn5xk1icnzLJMwcdLmxWGJhdf8qrQhkxx4eSGVhqnhrlIi4jvkaM

Frank Mawer had to work when he was only 14 because his mother had passed away. Credit: Frank Mawer.

Mr Mawer had to mature at a young age, and while much of it was unpleasant, he does have some wonderful memories from that time that he likes to remember now and then.

As a teenager, he did some of the 'childish' activities he had never done before, including riding horses and swimming in the ocean, and he said these are only some of the amazing experiences he would likely never forget.

During the time that he spent working at the farm, he also had the chance to meet an Irish girl named Elizabeth, who later went on to become his cherished wife in the years to come.

He was learning to be a carpenter in Sydney, where she worked as a secretary. 'Occasionally, I would pass the office, put my gaze on her, and take her out to get some ice cream,' Mr Mawer recalled.

Frank and Elizabeth Mawer had been happily married for more than 70 years before her untimely death in 2012.

Before her battle with breast cancer, Mrs Mawer was diagnosed with dementia. And during the years leading up to her passing, her husband never left her side and was the one taking care of her.

'She didn't want to be cooped up in the unit, and she would sometimes get out, and I would find her in someone else's house,' Mr Mawer says.

According to the centenarian, losing his one and only wife has been one of the greatest challenges in his life.

'It was a big shock … I miss her. She was my life partner, we had a great marriage, and I have no regrets,' he says.

w6V2cV5FteBiyCtpDrVV_OGggiKI6UHzJGU0zF_-6kZoj5U9Q_Tb6PzkalRGR6ZWK4wweqXqQ0XDxJxA6gIM8vIh_9HUplKJ94bshfhu_0zg4uT1zh07x6nnpfmGvb8m39ITtvHtOQ32FQzrwThAw9o

Before she passed away in 2012, Elizabeth Mawer and Frank Mawer had been wed for over 70 years. Credit: Frank Mawer.

Mr Mawer currently resides in Central Tilba on the South Coast of New South Wales with his son, Philip Mawer, who is 73 years old. There, his son and his son's partner, Stuart, are providing for his care and keeping him comfortable.

When asked about what it's like to share a home with his father, the 73-year-old responds that it's an honour and a 'privilege'.

'He's remarkably stoic, and he'll put up with a lot of discomforts, and he won't complain as he's an optimistic person,' he says. 'He wants to live. He just values the day, and he lives for the day.'

Having maintained an optimistic view despite the many hardships he has encountered is no minor feat, and we applaud Mr Mawer for doing so.

All of us here at the SDC hope that he may continue to have many more years filled with joy and good health!

What do you think about the story, members? We hope Mr Mawer will be as inspiring to you as he is to us!
Well done to him

Lovely story. Shame the World News didn’t have some like it. I hope he is blessed with all the happy memories gathered over the years and good health to enjoy them.

Good on him for reaching such a memorable milestone. That he still has all his faculties is no mean feat. That his 73 year old son is still able to care for him is remarkable. There must be some good genes in that family.:)

What a legend! Anyone who has the privilege of knowing or even just meeting this amazing human is blessed by their experience! How amazing to have seen do much history & experienced so much (good & not so) in a rich life! God bless you Frank, may you enjoy many more rich & happy years!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

Enjoy listening or reading stories like this about our older citizens. Mr Mawer is certainly a true inspiration in my opinion.

Thankyou for sharing his story with us.

Reactions: Ricci