Old Fashioned Rock Cakes

Do young people even know what a Rock Cake is ? I still remember my grandmother baking these.

Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes

Makes 20
20231129_022150.jpg

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self -raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup cater sugar
100g butter, chilled, chopped
3/4 cup sultanas
2 tablespoon mixed peel
1 egg lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk

Butter to serve.

Method

1. Preheat oven 200°C / 180°C fan-forced . Line to baking trays with baking paper.

2. Sift flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in sugar . Using your fingertips, rub butter through mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in sultanas and mixed peel. Make a well in the centre. Combine egg and milk in a jug. Pour egg n milk into well. Using a butter knife, mix ingredients to form a sticky dough. Add more milk if necessary.

3. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture 5cm apart onto prepared trays.

4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and cool .

Serve Rock Cakes warm or at room temperature with butter

 Enjoy

Last edited:
Sponsored
Do young people even know what a Rock Cake is ? I still remember my grandmother baking these.

Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes

Makes 20
View attachment 36071

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self -raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup cater sugar
100g butter, chilled, chopped
3/4 cup sultanas
2 tablespoon mixed peel
1 egg lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk

Butter to serve.

Method

1. Preheat oven 200°C / 180°C fan-forced . Line to baking trays with baking paper.

2. Sift flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in sugar . Using your fingertips, rub butter through mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in sultanas and mixed peel. Make a well in the centre. Combine egg and milk in a jug. Pour egg n milk into well. Using a butter knife, mix ingredients to form a sticky dough. Add more milk if necessary.

3. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture 5cm apart onto prepared trays.

4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and cool .

Serve Rock Cakes warm or at room temperature with butter

 Enjoy
Been a long time since I've heard of these S/Rose, must make some thanks for reminding me.

I often make rock cakes. I’m the throw a bit of this, a bit of that in type, this is how my mum taught me to cook cakes and biscuits. The last batch I cooked I took some to work for my team mates, they all loved them. A lot had never tasted them.

I had never been able to make a scone that wasn't a rock cake until...I used Paul Hollywood's recipe just recently and they were sensational - Traditional Scones.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I often make rock cakes. I’m the throw a bit of this, a bit of that in type, this is how my mum taught me to cook cakes and biscuits. The last batch I cooked I took some to work for my team mates, they all loved them. A lot had never tasted them.
Funny how a lot of people have never tried them ir even heard of them. These are a great childhood memory for me

I have never made rock cakes nor have I had a home made one. I will certainly try making some - good idea!

Reactions: Suzanne rose