Neighbours star Carla Bonner reveals her father died after catching HIV from blood transfusion

On Wednesday, Aussie actress Carla Bonner opened up about her father, Peter Bonner, who died after contracting HIV from a blood transfusion in the 1980s.

In an Instagram post, the star shared her father’s heartbreaking story on World AIDS Day.

JOtjpo8VLZOyHlQkovB79uze9XZ-Qx7DKhU7TYTlZSa0OdZbDG_hKeGAxLSmlRSdZJesfAs1nZaKI9OnlamxEyq-k-AUm06HnKwOuCiVjTXrwvGFEb6kfpSiDTEjXc7S84JKK_uL

The star was famously known for playing Stephanie Scully on the popular soap opera Neighbours. Photo from Instagram / @carlabonner3.

Carla posted a black and white photo of her dad, along with a caption describing how he “lived his last days in shame, terrified and alone”.

She began her father’s story by sharing how he developed kidney disease in the early 80s and became the recipient of a kidney donation.

“But his body rejected the kidney, and he had to have blood transfusions,” wrote the actress.

“We were assured by the Australian government the blood was clean and safe coming from our brothers and sisters wanting to help fellow Aussies.”

“Those transfusions were the beginning of the end for him. The end of life as he knew it. The end of his dignity. And tragically the end of his life.”

Peter Bonner passed away from AIDS in 1986.

Carla continued: “I’m so sorry he suffered the way he did. The way he was treated was abhorrent. Lower class. Bottom of the barrel…”

“When he died, they put him in a plastic bag and a metal casket in case the virus could travel underground. They destroyed his belongings, burned everything.”

“I lived with this for 35 years, believing a story we were told by the government about the ‘accidental’ contamination. In 2020 a lot of truths surfaced across the world. A time of full disclosure. I learned the story we were fed was gravely untrue.”

The 48-year-old mum concluded her emotional post by saying that she “had to do a lot to heal” from the pain of her dad’s death.

“Any opportunity I had to have him in my life was taken from me when I really needed him. The events and memories of the day remain with me for the rest of my life.”

These days, most healthy adults are able to give blood in Australia. The screening process for all donated blood is strict to ensure the safety of patients who will receive the blood.

If you want to donate blood, there are some things that might affect your eligibility to be a blood donor. These include which medications you take, your medical history, and your travel history.

Learn more about it here.

Sponsored
People knew so little about HIV back then. This is a real tragedy

Reactions: Kayer02