Life-changing habit leads to man’s shock stage four bowel cancer diagnosis

Tales of health scares can be alarming and daunting, but they often come with life-saving lessons worth our attention.

Today, we share a story of a 38-year-old Australian teacher who is advocating for a simple, yet crucial habit that could make such a huge difference.

This habit, while seemingly unglamorous, saved his life by helping him detect stage four bowel cancer at an early stage.

Th Newcastle, New South Wales-based man first noticed something amiss after his bowel movements.

SDC 32.png
A man noticed blood in his stool and was recommended to get a colonoscopy for a proper diagnosis. Image source: Freepik.

You see, there was blood in his stool. Far from being a one-time occurence, he said this went on for weeks, which prompted him to take action.

He sought medical help, which led to him undergoing a colonoscopy, revealing a substantial cancerous growth on the verge of obstructing his bowel.

He urged his fellow Australians to pay attention to their bowel movements via a post on social media, saying: 'This is a public service announcement to check your poop every few days.'

'You don't have to touch it, but just make sure it has no traces of blood and is looking OK.'

His diagnosis came as a shock, given the slow-growing nature of the cancer. This has led doctors to believe he has had it for over a decade.

'Blood in poo doesn't always mean cancer. People with IBS and chronic conditions like colitis or Crohn's get bloody stools regularly,' he added.

'Also hemorrhoids are quite common for causing blood in poops. It is still worth getting a colonoscopy to ensure you know what it is.'

Before his procedure, doctors said they were 99 per cent sure he just had ulcerative colitis. This has made the diagnosis even more shocking.

He also did not mention anything about pain or weight loss which is one of the symptoms of the dreaded disease.

Many expressed gratitude for the reminder to inspect their bowel habits more often.

'There is some push for the bowel screening program to be dropped to 45, which would be good. Colon cancer rates for under 50s is growing, so this is a very important message,' one replied.

While others shared their struggle to get tested despite their requests to their GPs.

'I have had multiple GPs deny me getting a colonoscopy even though I have had blood in my stool for four years now. I am 47, so I am waiting for another three years so I can get tested,' one man commented.

The teacher acknowledged the difficulty of getting tested as it took him three months before he could be checked despite the nod from his GP.

A 26-year-old jumped in on the conversation and agreed with the teacher’s advice, saying: 'I had blood in my poop and was diagnosed with stage three rectal cancer about six months ago.'

'Six months of chemotherapy and the next thing that is up is to get 30cm of my intestines cut out to remove the tumour.

'I had two episodes of bloody diarrhea and got told I was too young to have cancer. It was a fight to get a colonoscopy and break the dogma that only old people get cancer.'

Meanwhile, the teacher also revealed he is lucky to have raked in sick leaves and is currently off for the rest of the year as he goes through chemotherapy.

He also shared that there is no history of the disease in his family and never expected that 'anything would go wrong' with his body.

Eligible Australians aged 50 to 74 reportedly receive free tests every two years mailed to them in their homes as part of the Department of Health and Aged Care’s National Bowel Cancer Screening Program. Other people can also buy the tests at the pharmacy.
Key Takeaways
  • A school teacher in his 30s has urged Australians to regularly check their bowel movements after he was diagnosed with stage four bowel cancer.
  • The teacher reported noticing blood in his stool, which led to his diagnosis after having a colonoscopy.
  • His post on social media has prompted hundreds of people to thank him for reminding them to inspect their bowel habits more regularly.
  • The man is currently off work and undergoing chemotherapy treatment. He also stated that he had no family history of the disease.
Members, check with your GP if your stool shows any signs of bleeding for a proper diagnosis.

Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments below!

Sponsored
Tales of health scares can be alarming and daunting, but they often come with life-saving lessons worth our attention.

Today, we share a story of a 38-year-old Australian teacher who is advocating for a simple, yet crucial habit that could make such a huge difference.

This habit, while seemingly unglamorous, saved his life by helping him detect stage four bowel cancer at an early stage.

Th Newcastle, New South Wales-based man first noticed something amiss after his bowel movements.

View attachment 33372
A man noticed blood in his stool and was recommended to get a colonoscopy for a proper diagnosis. Image source: Freepik.

You see, there was blood in his stool. Far from being a one-time occurence, he said this went on for weeks, which prompted him to take action.

He sought medical help, which led to him undergoing a colonoscopy, revealing a substantial cancerous growth on the verge of obstructing his bowel.

He urged his fellow Australians to pay attention to their bowel movements via a post on social media, saying: 'This is a public service announcement to check your poop every few days.'

'You don't have to touch it, but just make sure it has no traces of blood and is looking OK.'

His diagnosis came as a shock, given the slow-growing nature of the cancer. This has led doctors to believe he has had it for over a decade.

'Blood in poo doesn't always mean cancer. People with IBS and chronic conditions like colitis or Crohn's get bloody stools regularly,' he added.

'Also hemorrhoids are quite common for causing blood in poops. It is still worth getting a colonoscopy to ensure you know what it is.'

Before his procedure, doctors said they were 99 per cent sure he just had ulcerative colitis. This has made the diagnosis even more shocking.

He also did not mention anything about pain or weight loss which is one of the symptoms of the dreaded disease.

Many expressed gratitude for the reminder to inspect their bowel habits more often.

'There is some push for the bowel screening program to be dropped to 45, which would be good. Colon cancer rates for under 50s is growing, so this is a very important message,' one replied.

While others shared their struggle to get tested despite their requests to their GPs.

'I have had multiple GPs deny me getting a colonoscopy even though I have had blood in my stool for four years now. I am 47, so I am waiting for another three years so I can get tested,' one man commented.

The teacher acknowledged the difficulty of getting tested as it took him three months before he could be checked despite the nod from his GP.

A 26-year-old jumped in on the conversation and agreed with the teacher’s advice, saying: 'I had blood in my poop and was diagnosed with stage three rectal cancer about six months ago.'

'Six months of chemotherapy and the next thing that is up is to get 30cm of my intestines cut out to remove the tumour.

'I had two episodes of bloody diarrhea and got told I was too young to have cancer. It was a fight to get a colonoscopy and break the dogma that only old people get cancer.'

Meanwhile, the teacher also revealed he is lucky to have raked in sick leaves and is currently off for the rest of the year as he goes through chemotherapy.

He also shared that there is no history of the disease in his family and never expected that 'anything would go wrong' with his body.

Eligible Australians aged 50 to 74 reportedly receive free tests every two years mailed to them in their homes as part of the Department of Health and Aged Care’s National Bowel Cancer Screening Program. Other people can also buy the tests at the pharmacy.
Key Takeaways

• A school teacher in his 30s has urged Australians to regularly check their bowel movements after he was diagnosed with stage four bowel cancer.
  • The teacher reported noticing blood in his stool, which led to his diagnosis after having a colonoscopy.
  • His post on social media has prompted hundreds of people to thank him for reminding them to inspect their bowel habits more regularly.
  • The man is currently off work and undergoing chemotherapy treatment. He also stated that he had no family history of the disease.
Members, check with your GP if your stool shows any signs of bleeding for a proper diagnosis.

That’s ridiculous why not let people younger have the test🤔 doesn’t make sense to me😢

View attachment 33372

Key Takeaways

Why are you unable to get the test if you are over 74? That is also the cut off age for breast screening!!! AGE DISCRIMINATION!

I recall our neighbour's daughter, whom we all played with as children suddenly died of colon cancer, she was 14.
Tests from pharmacies should be available for any age if the person senses something amiss without a GP pathology prescription. I doubt the service would be flooded by those under the allowed age but could save lives and lessen advanced procedures if located early.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I was diagnosed with colon cancer when I was 37 years old in 1975. I again had it in 2012 and on neither occasion did I have chemo or radiation. This was because it was caught before any cells showed as being affected. I am now 85 and have an ileostomy, which I hate, but I guess it is better than the alternative.

I was diagnosed with colon cancer when I was 37 years old in 1975. I again had it in 2012 and on neither occasion did I have chemo or radiation. This was because it was caught before any cells showed as being affected. I am now 85 and have an ileostomy, which I hate, but I guess it is better than the alternative.
Absolutely🙂Keep the spirits up

Reactions: 52KID and Jeanne
If any bloke has blood showing after a poo, then watch if it continues to happen, if it does get it checked out straight away with your GP.....your bum should not do that ok....oh and while you are there get a blood test for a PSA evaluation. Stay healthy fellas. 😉

please explain
My Dr told me that the free test picks up any minute blood that we can't see. However, if we are bleeding it's best to get a colonoscopy to check. The test is great if it finds any blood, then the next step is a colonoscopy. I know a couple of people who had bleeding, and it was due to a number of ailments which weren't cancer. This can happen as well. Last month I had a routine colonoscopy. Just as well I did, as I had polyps removed which I was unaware I had and they weren't bleeding.