Kmart issues an urgent warning to shoppers about a Nintendo Facebook scam making the rounds online

Remember, folks – if a bargain seems too good to be true, it probably is! Kmart customers have been urged not to fall for a recent scam circulating on Facebook’s marketplace. The item listing claims to sell a Nintendo Switch for the dirt-cheap price of $2.95 at the retail store.

The dodgy post included a snap of the popular gaming device alongside a forged Kmart price tag. The fake tag read that the price had been slashed from $379.86 to $2.95.

In an attempt to make sense of the massive discount, the caption falsely claimed that it was due to a contract dispute between the retailer and Nintendo

“Kmart broke its contract with Nintendo and is giving away a Nintendo Switch game console to every Australian for $2.95,” the fraudster wrote.

One shopper shared the post to a well-known Facebook group, Markdown Addicts Australia, detailing how her friend had fallen for the scam and lost $700 as a result.

“BEWARE: Another scam page going around, also there is a Dyson one,” the woman warned. “Do not fall for it. My friend did and has lost around $700. They just keep taking from your bank.”

“Can’t stop it unless you email and threaten them with lawyers.”

uphOK6YvoYIkVGMOEDJcvewikrO0kDEUxs-9QEXr1JQkmRrb5Q4nbaiQ3AWt2-ktyXWQBH1nyOQgiQvllhXNVsghHK23YtP0C0chynyLt11SXKIDDbpReSS-wLhjWZQWoek1Qd_AAy_OjBnhsA

The circulating post. Image Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia
One customer divulged in the comments that they had also been fooled, saying: “Yeah, unfortunately, I was one of those people who thought it was real. I just wanted to buy my boys one and the problem I now have is that the people are trying to get money from my account.”

While another chimed in saying: “I almost did it until I got to the fine print where it claimed to take $54.00 monthly for… Well, I don’t know what. I stopped there and cancelled. Now they keep sending me emails asking me not to forget them. I’m doing all I can to do just that, forget them!”

However, the majority seemed to show no empathy for those who fell victim to the scam.

“If you think you’re gonna get a switch for $2.95, you pretty much deserve to be scammed.” one user said harshly.

“I'd really love to meet the people who fall for things like this, I've got a great used car to sell to one of them......” another teased.

“No disrespect to your friend, but how anyone falls for this garbage is beyond me… It’s not even slightly believable.” a third added.

Despite this, a handful of users expressed their frustration over the comments, arguing that the victims shouldn’t be the ones to cop the blame.

mMmCkj3-4Fg64-M-qYLzZIn-2C1zsBl5bRf-fA5LathNDjLPWCD_aXlNtmTKpn9GIdaiGY8B7ZKgEevb8UAeX-sT0wWTSeX7gX9PglITPWZfjJbGXcGFBK5m7nfhg3mQr-PhKMhXLpkv9WRC8g

Be careful, everyone! Image Credit: Dallas Morning News

“Just remember there are people out there who have disabilities, lower IQs, elderly, and young people who would fall for this. Don’t always be so quick to judge people for f**k’s sake.” argued a user.

“This is just as infuriating as these comments. These scammers target people with cognitive impairments, old age, and so on. They prey on vulnerability. These victims aren't gullible or naive, they get purposely targeted by predators.” explained another.

“Pity for those people who fall prey to these monsters.” chimed a third.

According to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC’s) Scamwatch, phishing scams such as the Kmart post are pretty effective as they manipulate consumers into thinking that they’re dealing with a genuine retailer.

“Phishing messages are designed to look genuine, and often copy the format used by the organisation the scammer is pretending to represent, including their branding and logo,” they said.

“They will take you to a fake website that looks like the real deal but has a slightly different address. For example, if the legitimate site is ‘www.realbank.com.au’, the scammer may use an address like ‘www.realbank.com’,”

“If you provide the scammer with your details online or over the phone, they will use them to carry out fraudulent activities, such as using your credit cards and stealing your money.”

If you ever come across a dodgy Facebook listing, a suspicious email or text, or a fake website, consumers are highly encouraged to report them immediately to Scamwatch.

What are your thoughts on the story? Share them with us in the comments.

Learn how you can stay safe from scams by watching the video below:

Video Credit: Google for Education

• Angry
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
Unfortunately with todays trying times there will always be some people out to get something for nothing, or at least a really good bargain. The scammers are rubbing their hands together and raking in the profits. They don't care about how much harm they do and are only looking to line their pockets. Be extra vigilant people, just because it pops up in your Facebook feed doesn't mean it's true. Only deal with the stores legit websites, any bargains will be shown on there. If in doubt phone the company, they won't mind and will thank you if you bring to their attention any dodgy dealings.:)

I had the same thing but at Bunnings for Dyson vacuum cleaner a few months ago. They had the shelves and the Bunnings price tag.

Reactions: Ricci
total arseholes no heart i never give my details out and if i did they wouldn't be able to take out any money cause i am on the pension living day to day marg:mad::mad::mad:(n)(n)(n):poop::poop::poop:

why would you
Kmart issues an urgent warning to shoppers about a Nintendo Facebook scam making the rounds online

Remember, folks – if a bargain seems too good to be true, it probably is! Kmart customers have been urged not to fall for a recent scam circulating on Facebook’s marketplace. The item listing claims to sell a Nintendo Switch for the dirt-cheap price of $2.95 at the retail store.

The dodgy post included a snap of the popular gaming device alongside a forged Kmart price tag. The fake tag read that the price had been slashed from $379.86 to $2.95.

In an attempt to make sense of the massive discount, the caption falsely claimed that it was due to a contract dispute between the retailer and Nintendo

“Kmart broke its contract with Nintendo and is giving away a Nintendo Switch game console to every Australian for $2.95,” the fraudster wrote.

One shopper shared the post to a well-known Facebook group, Markdown Addicts Australia, detailing how her friend had fallen for the scam and lost $700 as a result.

“BEWARE: Another scam page going around, also there is a Dyson one,” the woman warned. “Do not fall for it. My friend did and has lost around $700. They just keep taking from your bank.”

“Can’t stop it unless you email and threaten them with lawyers.”

uphOK6YvoYIkVGMOEDJcvewikrO0kDEUxs-9QEXr1JQkmRrb5Q4nbaiQ3AWt2-ktyXWQBH1nyOQgiQvllhXNVsghHK23YtP0C0chynyLt11SXKIDDbpReSS-wLhjWZQWoek1Qd_AAy_OjBnhsA

The circulating post. Image Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia
One customer divulged in the comments that they had also been fooled, saying: “Yeah, unfortunately, I was one of those people who thought it was real. I just wanted to buy my boys one and the problem I now have is that the people are trying to get money from my account.”

While another chimed in saying: “I almost did it until I got to the fine print where it claimed to take $54.00 monthly for… Well, I don’t know what. I stopped there and cancelled. Now they keep sending me emails asking me not to forget them. I’m doing all I can to do just that, forget them!”

However, the majority seemed to show no empathy for those who fell victim to the scam.

“If you think you’re gonna get a switch for $2.95, you pretty much deserve to be scammed.” one user said harshly.

“I'd really love to meet the people who fall for things like this, I've got a great used car to sell to one of them......” another teased.

“No disrespect to your friend, but how anyone falls for this garbage is beyond me… It’s not even slightly believable.” a third added.

Despite this, a handful of users expressed their frustration over the comments, arguing that the victims shouldn’t be the ones to cop the blame.

mMmCkj3-4Fg64-M-qYLzZIn-2C1zsBl5bRf-fA5LathNDjLPWCD_aXlNtmTKpn9GIdaiGY8B7ZKgEevb8UAeX-sT0wWTSeX7gX9PglITPWZfjJbGXcGFBK5m7nfhg3mQr-PhKMhXLpkv9WRC8g

Be careful, everyone! Image Credit: Dallas Morning News

“Just remember there are people out there who have disabilities, lower IQs, elderly, and young people who would fall for this. Don’t always be so quick to judge people for f**k’s sake.” argued a user.

“This is just as infuriating as these comments. These scammers target people with cognitive impairments, old age, and so on. They prey on vulnerability. These victims aren't gullible or naive, they get purposely targeted by predators.” explained another.

“Pity for those people who fall prey to these monsters.” chimed a third.

According to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC’s) Scamwatch, phishing scams such as the Kmart post are pretty effective as they manipulate consumers into thinking that they’re dealing with a genuine retailer.

“Phishing messages are designed to look genuine, and often copy the format used by the organisation the scammer is pretending to represent, including their branding and logo,” they said.

“They will take you to a fake website that looks like the real deal but has a slightly different address. For example, if the legitimate site is ‘www.realbank.com.au’, the scammer may use an address like ‘www.realbank.com’,”

“If you provide the scammer with your details online or over the phone, they will use them to carry out fraudulent activities, such as using your credit cards and stealing your money.”

If you ever come across a dodgy Facebook listing, a suspicious email or text, or a fake website, consumers are highly encouraged to report them immediately to Scamwatch.

What are your thoughts on the story? Share them with us in the comments.

Learn how you can stay safe from scams by watching the video below:

Video Credit: Google for Education

SO, why would you buy something as cheap as (under $3) by using your bank account card ?

Happened to me a while ago. Wasnt a cheap as bargain deal, just an interesting item that I liked. They originally took the small amount out of my credit card, but I never received the item. Then my next statement showed a slightly bigger amount by a company I had never heard off! Small amounts only, that might easily be overlooked, like $5.95 or so. I contacted my credit card provider (have a separate one for online shopping, not connected to my bank account!), and they followed it up. The money was returned to my credit account, and no more money taken out, so I was lucky

Scummers have cleaned out Aussies to the tune of $205 million in the first 4 months of this year. Don't be a victim, get up to speed with the scams that are out there now, before you buy anything online or on the phone. Huge amounts involved and a few minutes of your time might save you a lot of $ and pain. Read the ACCC - Little Black Book of Scams. Do it now and be prepared and ready ahead of these ratbags....