Kmart’s little-known pensioner discount program – here’s how to get up to 5% off your shopping!

Now, everyone here knows we love a discount. We aren’t called the ‘Seniors Discount Club’ for nothing! But did you know that Kmart has a pensioner discount program?

Well, we didn’t, but thanks to a Facebook post we recently discovered that Kmart offers a 5% discount to pensioners but there is a catch… Well, if you're a pensioner, you're in luck – at least when it comes to Kmart.

No need to take a double look, folks! Apparently, the budget retailer is offering special discounts to concession card holders on the first Wednesday of every month.

Now, we just want to reiterate this, the discount is available to Commonwealth Government Pensioner Concession Cards OR Commonwealth Government Department of Veterans Affairs Health Cards only. Any state or territory-issued Senior Card unfortunately does not qualify.

"Hi, does Kmart have a pensioner day where you show your card for a discount? I saw somewhere that the retailer offers discounts to concession card holders on the first Wednesday of every month. Could you please clarify this?" one shopper wrote on Kmart's Facebook page.

A Kmart representative commented on the post and instructed the customer to contact the customer care team.

As it turned out, despite the fact that the little-known discount program is not publicised on the retailer's website, the program is legitimate, with Kmart offering a 5% discount to pensioners on the first Wednesday of every month.

A Kmart customer care representative confirmed: "We have a Pensioner Discount Day on the first Wednesday of every month. It includes Commonwealth Government Pensioner Concession Cards or Commonwealth Government Department of Veterans Affairs Health Cards only."

-j6_R6r2ZAcCq7FKuqczqNC91j7au--uduGbxg29QPFmp9c4WpADWWXsb6USJGwiotscEeZYeQSFUZjc7u5HGG5smrjsyngWAp-jHoSrZ-sCxk5AlE7fBYLdlRzBWU0nvvkYvvRXiush45JG

Kmart offers a “secret” discount program for pensioners every first Wednesday of every month. Credit: Insideretail.com.au.

So, how can you get the discount?

Another Kmart representative said that the discount automatically applies to "all Government Approved Pension Card" holders and all they need to do is to present their card to the staff for the discount to take effect.

Unfortunately, the discount is not available for online purchases, but it can be used for in-store items. And if you're worried about whether or not your local Kmart will honour the discount, don't be – the retailer has confirmed that the discount is available at all Kmart stores nationwide.

Several pensioners shared their experiences getting discounts from the retailer under the program, with one person writing: "I use my disability pension card. If going through self-serve from my experience you have to call over the staff."

"You will more than likely have to tell staff yes it’s real and there should be a pension discount button on their screen that says 5% off."

It should be noted, however, that other staff members are not aware of the program.

One worker admitted: "I work at a Kmart and never heard of it before."

To which one pensioner replied, pointing out that she had been refused many times before when she tried to get the discount and telling the worker that they are not alone for not knowing that such a program exists.

"Heaps of staff actually have no idea about the discount program, so don't feel bad for not knowing. I've been refused so many times because the staff in the Kmart I go to have never been told about it. Which is annoying but it is what it is," the pensioner said.

A similar case has been reported by another user, claiming that her mum was treated rudely when she tried to take advantage of the discount.

The user shared: "My mum went to Kmart today and tried to get this and was told rudely that she was wrong and told it was ridiculous!"

Keeping this in mind, we advise our members to stay calm and be patient when getting the discounts to prevent any conflict with staff members. We also recommend contacting and asking your local Kmart store about the discount program first before heading out to shop so you can be sure that they are informed about the special discounts. Although, below we have a screenshot of the official Kmart Facebook page showing that the discount does exist!

qTCQBLgtXwsl772-HUiqqnbmQcJyj4gW4j2NHUZM-MpaBuBnP4ZeB6dafy-VZ2I_RYhtmXYt-7WGpLdd3NtnO2lMe1zNtsjEzSwUasKQ5BIf8EIUDRpx-NfC9h6FS7aD9ffoxQE4Ii8Z5fWJ

Credit: Facebook

So, next time you're planning a Kmart shopping trip, be sure to mark the first Wednesday of the month in your calendar – you could save yourself a pretty penny.

Do you know of any other businesses that offer discounts to pensioners? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Now, everyone here knows we love a discount. We aren’t called the ‘Seniors Discount Club’ for nothing! But did you know that Kmart has a pensioner discount program?

Well, we didn’t, but thanks to a Facebook post we recently discovered that Kmart offers a 5% discount to pensioners but there is a catch… Well, if you're a pensioner, you're in luck – at least when it comes to Kmart.

No need to take a double look, folks! Apparently, the budget retailer is offering special discounts to concession card holders on the first Wednesday of every month.

Now, we just want to reiterate this, the discount is available to Commonwealth Government Pensioner Concession Cards OR Commonwealth Government Department of Veterans Affairs Health Cards only. Any state or territory-issued Senior Card unfortunately does not qualify.

"Hi, does Kmart have a pensioner day where you show your card for a discount? I saw somewhere that the retailer offers discounts to concession card holders on the first Wednesday of every month. Could you please clarify this?" one shopper wrote on Kmart's Facebook page.

A Kmart representative commented on the post and instructed the customer to contact the customer care team.

As it turned out, despite the fact that the little-known discount program is not publicised on the retailer's website, the program is legitimate, with Kmart offering a 5% discount to pensioners on the first Wednesday of every month.

A Kmart customer care representative confirmed: "We have a Pensioner Discount Day on the first Wednesday of every month. It includes Commonwealth Government Pensioner Concession Cards or Commonwealth Government Department of Veterans Affairs Health Cards only."

-j6_R6r2ZAcCq7FKuqczqNC91j7au--uduGbxg29QPFmp9c4WpADWWXsb6USJGwiotscEeZYeQSFUZjc7u5HGG5smrjsyngWAp-jHoSrZ-sCxk5AlE7fBYLdlRzBWU0nvvkYvvRXiush45JG

Kmart offers a “secret” discount program for pensioners every first Wednesday of every month. Credit: Insideretail.com.au.

Another Kmart representative said that the discount automatically applies to "all Government Approved Pension Card" holders and all they need to do is to present their card to the staff for the discount to take effect.

Unfortunately, the discount is not available for online purchases, but it can be used for in-store items. And if you're worried about whether or not your local Kmart will honour the discount, don't be – the retailer has confirmed that the discount is available at all Kmart stores nationwide.

Several pensioners shared their experiences getting discounts from the retailer under the program, with one person writing: "I use my disability pension card. If going through self-serve from my experience you have to call over the staff."

"You will more than likely have to tell staff yes it’s real and there should be a pension discount button on their screen that says 5% off."

It should be noted, however, that other staff members are not aware of the program.

To which one pensioner replied, pointing out that she had been refused many times before when she tried to get the discount and telling the worker that they are not alone for not knowing that such a program exists.

"Heaps of staff actually have no idea about the discount program, so don't feel bad for not knowing. I've been refused so many times because the staff in the Kmart I go to have never been told about it. Which is annoying but it is what it is," the pensioner said.

A similar case has been reported by another user, claiming that her mum was treated rudely when she tried to take advantage of the discount.

The user shared: "My mum went to Kmart today and tried to get this and was told rudely that she was wrong and told it was ridiculous!"

Keeping this in mind, we advise our members to stay calm and be patient when getting the discounts to prevent any conflict with staff members. We also recommend contacting and asking your local Kmart store about the discount program first before heading out to shop so you can be sure that they are informed about the special discounts. Although, below we have a screenshot of the official Kmart Facebook page showing that the discount does exist!

qTCQBLgtXwsl772-HUiqqnbmQcJyj4gW4j2NHUZM-MpaBuBnP4ZeB6dafy-VZ2I_RYhtmXYt-7WGpLdd3NtnO2lMe1zNtsjEzSwUasKQ5BIf8EIUDRpx-NfC9h6FS7aD9ffoxQE4Ii8Z5fWJ

So, next time you're planning a Kmart shopping trip, be sure to mark the first Wednesday of the month in your calendar – you could save yourself a pretty penny.

Do you know of any other businesses that offer discounts to pensioners? Let us know in the comments!
Unfortunately

Why can't all the shops get together and co-ordinate their deals? One of my local stores has discount Tuesdays, KMart Wednesdays, someone else Thursdays and I can't remember when Woolies have their quiet time shopping. I don't want to be going to the shops every day so could they please get in sync so that we can go out on a given day and know we will have a great experience (and come home with a few bargains).:);):rolleyes:

i would have thought it would be all the time for pensioners , most places that do Pensioner Discounts don't have specific days!

Reactions: Rosebalti and Ricci
Thanks, my problem is that I order nearly everything online as I can't get out that much. I can not drive now and I have no way of getting to KMart.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci

I have taken a screenshot of this to show in Kmart if I am refused a discount.

IGA do 10% discount every Tuesday for pensioners but you have to ask.

I use my WA Seniors card for the Kmart 5% discount as I can't have a Pensioner card yet. If it's refused I (very politely) ask them to check and the supervisor shows them the process. No-one has ever suggested that my card doesn't qualify.

Last edited:
It would be good if we knew of discounts for seniors with a seniors card but not pensioners
I ask everywhere I go to eat as a lot of places do seniors discount but do not advertise. I belong to a seniors club and we go to places that have discount meals and snacks for seniors and we meet once every two weeks.

Reactions: Ricci