S

Sean Camara

How one simple mistake cost this mum $200,000 - A new scam we should be wary about!

When 56-year-old Donna received a phone call from a person who introduced themselves as an employee from her bank and informed her of a 'transfer mistake', she did not hesitate to give out her banking details to solve the issue.

Now, the Melbourne nurse has lost her whole life savings after falling victim to this new sophisticated scam.

Donna, who admitted that she was going through a painful divorce and was planning to move into a new home, said that she was 'left desperate’ after her life savings of $200,000 vanished in the blink of an eye.

'I don’t even know how it happened. After everything I’ve gone through, I just wanted a nice house to live in,' the teary-eyed woman said.

DWVZCNfx_Tv9TrvLF3rH8F2DUdO1fChaMtddMAj7knelJmURMSGO4L3wvQ9dC2vemZ1FtCDk-ZncCBq6-UUwkiRNYalgSIFUBncb7NitIiAnAfp086if7FdZ5mnIqnJgmh44peVoa1BAq0MuAb9jKA

Donna Brain said that she was desperate when she learned that her life savings were stolen through a sophisticated scam. Credit: Channel 7.

Following the end of her marriage, Donna was preparing to relocate when an odd transaction on her Commonwealth Bank account took place.

The 56-year-old nurse's account received a transfer of $210 from an unknown account that she didn't recognise.

After getting notification of the transfer, Donna received the dreaded phone call...

'They didn’t ask for any NetBank numbers or passwords,' she recalled.

However, the fraudsters were able to retrieve enough information to open her bank account.

According to Donna, the scammers initially made a transfer of $500 from her account. When the first transaction was successfully done, more withdrawals followed.

The woman shared: 'They transferred six lots of $20,000 and then $80,000.'

5BiBZvc1rhQt6Qy1rcuK-yjyvU4Hc-KoITlt2s9FopPwd9fqg7PR9dexWXx9-yss8ShdEHeAarKFQ9IHFXbyZAxRRn2qb4o-tcKebArhHh7Y4hr0O-U0xTe0jyS9kYge2JeC-MYiZY-5X_hFBy50yg

Ms Brain said that she received a transfer of $210 from an unknown account before receiving a call from someone posing as a Commonwealth Bank employee. Credit: Channel 7.

More than $2 billion was stolen from Australians last year through scams alone, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

Losses reported to all organisations totalled almost $1.8 billion, but the ACCC estimated actual losses were well over $2 billion, accounting for one-third of the victims who did not report the scams.

Fortunately for Donna, Commonwealth Bank was able to refund the $200,000 to her, allowing her to move to her new home.

But, many banks have cautioned that they cannot always return money that has been fraudulently taken from accounts. Therefore, consumers should constantly pause and consider whether an unexpected email, a call from the bank, or a strange transaction is legitimate.

This poor mother has been through enough already, and now she's experiencing the shock from almost losing all of her life savings. It's just heart-wrenching. We’re so glad she was able to get her money back.

These scammers are becoming more and more sophisticated, and it's truly scary. It just goes to show that you can't be too careful these days. Be sure to keep an eye on your accounts and never give out your personal information to anyone, no matter how convincing they may sound.

Stay safe out there, folks!

When 56-year-old Donna received a phone call from a person who introduced themselves as an employee from her bank and informed her of a 'transfer mistake', she did not hesitate to give out her banking details to solve the issue.

Now, the Melbourne nurse has lost her whole life savings after falling victim to this new sophisticated scam.

Donna, who admitted that she was going through a painful divorce and was planning to move into a new home, said that she was 'left desperate’ after her life savings of $200,000 vanished in the blink of an eye.

'I don’t even know how it happened. After everything I’ve gone through, I just wanted a nice house to live in,' the teary-eyed woman said.

DWVZCNfx_Tv9TrvLF3rH8F2DUdO1fChaMtddMAj7knelJmURMSGO4L3wvQ9dC2vemZ1FtCDk-ZncCBq6-UUwkiRNYalgSIFUBncb7NitIiAnAfp086if7FdZ5mnIqnJgmh44peVoa1BAq0MuAb9jKA

Donna Brain said that she was desperate when she learned that her life savings were stolen through a sophisticated scam. Credit: Channel 7.

Following the end of her marriage, Donna was preparing to relocate when an odd transaction on her Commonwealth Bank account took place.

The 56-year-old nurse's account received a transfer of $210 from an unknown account that she didn't recognise.

After getting notification of the transfer, Donna received the dreaded phone call...

However, the fraudsters were able to retrieve enough information to open her bank account.

According to Donna, the scammers initially made a transfer of $500 from her account. When the first transaction was successfully done, more withdrawals followed.

5BiBZvc1rhQt6Qy1rcuK-yjyvU4Hc-KoITlt2s9FopPwd9fqg7PR9dexWXx9-yss8ShdEHeAarKFQ9IHFXbyZAxRRn2qb4o-tcKebArhHh7Y4hr0O-U0xTe0jyS9kYge2JeC-MYiZY-5X_hFBy50yg

Ms Brain said that she received a transfer of $210 from an unknown account before receiving a call from someone posing as a Commonwealth Bank employee. Credit: Channel 7.

More than $2 billion was stolen from Australians last year through scams alone, according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

Losses reported to all organisations totalled almost $1.8 billion, but the ACCC estimated actual losses were well over $2 billion, accounting for one-third of the victims who did not report the scams.

Fortunately for Donna, Commonwealth Bank was able to refund the $200,000 to her, allowing her to move to her new home.

But, many banks have cautioned that they cannot always return money that has been fraudulently taken from accounts. Therefore, consumers should constantly pause and consider whether an unexpected email, a call from the bank, or a strange transaction is legitimate.

This poor mother has been through enough already, and now she's experiencing the shock from almost losing all of her life savings. It's just heart-wrenching. We’re so glad she was able to get her money back.

These scammers are becoming more and more sophisticated, and it's truly scary. It just goes to show that you can't be too careful these days. Be sure to keep an eye on your accounts and never give out your personal information to anyone, no matter how convincing they may sound.

I cannot understand how so many people get scammed especially after all the warnings against these scammers. People have to understand that all genuine correspondence come through your account - where you need to log in (whether bank, Tax Office, insurance, Service NSW, MyGov/Centrelink). If genuine you get a message or email saying you have mail. You then have to first log into your account and only then able to read your message by going into your mail/in box. It’s so simple but these rotten smart scammers seem to target the Elderly and vulnerable. A real shame

I have one savings account linked to my Pay Pal Acc, which I use for purchases with PayPal. I did not get monthly bank statements & so never looked at deposits/ debits, just the balance. When the balance got low, I added more money! After 10 months, I finally got a statement & found 2 direct debits of differing amounts & also differing company names, every month for 12 months. These cunning scammers were able to withdraw small amounts every month without me catching on. The bank returned only 3 months of money. PayPal said there was no way the scammers got my bank details from them, because the details are encrypted. But, I still believe this is how they got into my account. Silly me. I was topping up this account, not realising that I was giving my money to scammers.

I have one savings account linked to my Pay Pal Acc, which I use for purchases with PayPal. I did not get monthly bank statements & so never looked at deposits/ debits, just the balance. When the balance got low, I added more money! After 10 months, I finally got a statement & found 2 direct debits of differing amounts & also differing company names, every month for 12 months. These cunning scammers were able to withdraw small amounts every month without me catching on. The bank returned only 3 months of money. PayPal said there was no way the scammers got my bank details from them, because the details are encrypted. But, I still believe this is how they got into my account. Silly me. I was topping up this account, not realising that I was giving my money to scammers.
We all fall for a scam at some point; me recently falling prey to scammers in USA, who had somehow managed to get my Eftpos details (God know's how) associated to my working account. Fortunately I do monitor my bank statements every few days, and the amounts taken for supposed subscriptions I knew nothing about, were small, so I was able to get ANZ to cancel my card. Whether I get these amounts back could be another matter, but in the meantime I have piece of mind as I await the arrival of a new card.
I correspondingly treat every e-mail, text and phone call from unknown callers, with great suspicion these days; sadly the world we live in -

I too had a strange and unexpected amount paid into my account. Did I do anything about it? Nope, if someone is silly enough to pay me something I'm wily enough to spend it. My phone weeds out a lot of suspected spam calls and I don't answer other calls from unknown numbers so they'll find it difficult to contact me!:):rolleyes:

I feel sorry for her, but seriously?!?!?! To give your bank details over the phone to someone who says they’re a bank employee without checking 1st….seriously stupid!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I too had a strange and unexpected amount paid into my account. Did I do anything about it? Nope, if someone is silly enough to pay me something I'm wily enough to spend it. My phone weeds out a lot of suspected spam calls and I don't answer other calls from unknown numbers so they'll find it difficult to contact me!:):rolleyes:
Same applies to myself & my phone. If a number is not saved in my phone contacts & no message is left l ignore it.

We all fall for a scam at some point; me recently falling prey to scammers in USA, who had somehow managed to get my Eftpos details (God know's how) associated to my working account. Fortunately I do monitor my bank statements every few days, and the amounts taken for supposed subscriptions I knew nothing about, were small, so I was able to get ANZ to cancel my card. Whether I get these amounts back could be another matter, but in the meantime I have piece of mind as I await the arrival of a new card.
I correspondingly treat every e-mail, text and phone call from unknown callers, with great suspicion these days; sadly the world we live in -
My wife received a call recently from a bank employee who was able to give her certain details & added that transactions had been placed on her credit card over 2 months which were suspicious to them. She gave no information but was quoted info only available to the bank. The card was cancelled & later re-issued & the monies refunded. A lucky call perhaps?

Reactions: Vinylted and Ricci
I feel sorry for her, but seriously?!?!?! To give your bank details over the phone to someone who says they’re a bank employee without checking 1st….seriously stupid!!
People that live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones

Reactions: Ricci
The post says she did not give any numbers. The scammers got enough information indirectly. They are very clever and sound genuine.

• Angry

I am curious as to how they knew her account number AND her phone number.

What changed so many minds in this world of ours? None of us are living. We are only existing from day to day, that's all. Selfishness, arrogance, cheating, telling lies, don't know our neighbour, thieving & dishonesty is the norm these days. I NEVER thought when my gorgeous husband went to his permanent rest with Our Lord, that I would have the need to look for an alternative life. Purely by chance I came across the Senior Discount Club . My brain is still on the up as I have learned so much from you all. You have raised me to yet another level & for the original six who thought it just might be of some use to us all, bless you. Also, although a little late, "Hi April. Welcome Aboard." My CP has been down since last Monday & I have missed you all so much. Just a sincere hope in closing, "I hope ALL the banks @ least try to be able to reinburse everyone who has been caught in the scamming nightmare of their lives."

What changed so many minds in this world of ours? None of us are living. We are only existing from day to day, that's all. Selfishness, arrogance, cheating, telling lies, don't know our neighbour, thieving & dishonesty is the norm these days. I NEVER thought when my gorgeous husband went to his permanent rest with Our Lord, that I would have the need to look for an alternative life. Purely by chance I came across the Senior Discount Club . My brain is still on the up as I have learned so much from you all. You have raised me to yet another level & for the original six who thought it just might be of some use to us all, bless you. Also, although a little late, "Hi April. Welcome Aboard." My CP has been down since last Monday & I have missed you all so much. Just a sincere hope in closing, "I hope ALL the banks @ least try to be able to reinburse everyone who has been caught in the scamming nightmare of their lives."
Enjoyed reading your statement here Esma Rose. I endorse your words about our existence & do not understand why so many people are like this. Condolences for the loss of your hubby. Like yourself, me & many other folk here l am sure, find their daily dose of the SDC is something we cannot do without. Hope your PC doesn't fail again at the wrong time for you & my hopes are the same for Donna above. Scammers are so clever these days.

Reactions: Ricci
Using “Focus” or similar on your mobile phone allows you to specify the people and apps that can call or access your phone