End of an era: AFL commentator Luke Darcy bids farewell to broadcasting for new ventures

A prominent AFL commentator has recently announced his departure from two major broadcasting platforms.

This unexpected move has left fans and colleagues reflecting on his significant contributions to sports commentary and the impact he has had on the industry.

His exit marks the end of an era and the beginning of a new chapter in his career.

As the final siren sounds on another thrilling AFL season, we're met with the bittersweet news that one of the game's most familiar voices, Luke Darcy, is hanging up his microphone at both Seven and Triple M.

At 49, the Western Bulldogs champion has decided to pivot away from the commentary box to focus on his Empowering Leaders podcast and expand his Aleda Leadership business.

For many who have grown accustomed to Darcy's insightful and passionate commentary, this news comes as a surprise.

His decision to step away after Saturday's grand final is not a snap judgement but appeared to be the result of careful consideration and a desire to pursue other career ambitions.

461212700_558866243368749_1215058851811298084_n.jpg
AFL commentator Luke Darcy has announced his departure from Seven and Triple M after the AFL grand final broadcast. Credit: Facebook / Herald Sun

There has been speculation that Darcy's departure is related to Seven's recent signings for next year's AFL coverage, notably Kane Cornes.

Cornes, a champion from Port Adelaide and a prominent commentator, is joining the Seven AFL team as the network enhances its AFL coverage for 2025.

Earlier this year, he and Darcy had a tense exchange on Triple M, which has likely fueled some of the recent speculation surrounding Darcy's decision.

However, it is believed that he made the decision several months ago due to competing priorities.

‘I feel incredibly fortunate to have worked with some of the best people you could ever meet on and off air over the last 17 years at Seven and Triple M,’ Darcy expressed.

‘I’ve formed many lifelong friendships during what has been a genuinely fun and enjoyable time.’

‘Sitting in the best seat in the house calling AFL football is a privilege that was never lost on me,’ he added.

Darcy also discussed his plans for the future.

‘It will be hard to replicate the fun of broadcasting the footy; however, I am looking forward to devoting more time to our expanding Aleda Leadership business and am excited about the future of the Empowering Leaders podcast,’ he continued.

‘I’m looking forward to being on air for both Seven and Triple M this Saturday for the grand final before I switch to enjoying at home and in the stands next year as a footy fan.’

Darcy’s son, Sam, is only three years into his AFL career but is already becoming an emerging superstar with the Western Bulldogs.

Luke played over 200 games for the Bulldogs, and Sam seems poised to either match or even surpass his father's achievements.

Seven's Sports Director, Chris Jones, stated that Darcy's contributions ‘behind the scenes’ will be greatly missed.

‘Since 2012, when he arrived at Seven, Darce has been the voice of some of the most unforgettable moments in Australian Rules Football,’ he shared.

‘I had the pleasure of working closely with him on Saturday Night Footy, and while his passion and knowledge of the game is clear, his loyalty and leadership behind the scenes has been just as great.’

‘We’re all grateful for the legacy he leaves behind and look forward to working with him and the 7plus team on future Aleda collaborations,’ Jones added.

As the AFL community processes the changes within its broadcasting landscape, it also faces a moment of deep sorrow.

The recent announcement of Luke Darcy's departure from major networks has followed the heart-wrenching news of the sudden loss of a beloved star journalist.

This tragic event serves as a stark reminder of the fragility of life, even within the vibrant world of footy, where connections run deep, and tributes to those we’ve lost resonate throughout the community.
Key Takeaways

• AFL commentator Luke Darcy has confirmed his departure from Seven and Triple M following the AFL grand final broadcast.
  • Darcy will focus on his Empowering Leaders podcast and the Aleda Leadership business rather than TV and radio commentary.
  • Speculations suggested his decision might be linked to Seven's recent signings, but it was reported that he made the decision months ago due to competing priorities.
  • Luke Darcy's departure was acknowledged as a significant loss, particularly for his behind-the-scenes contributions and leadership.
Are you a fan of Luke Darcy? What are your favourite moments from his commentaries? We invite you to share your stories in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored