Easy Mongolian chicken.

Mongolian Chicken. Crispy fried chicken smothered in a sticky sweet ginger hoisin sauce. A delicious dish to make for dinner or lunch that comes together in 30 minutes or less! Air Frying instructions are also included in the Notes Section below.

SERVINGS3
CALORIES PER SERVING224 kcal

INGREDIENTS​

Cornstarch Slurry:​

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch or sub with potato starch or tapioca starch
  • ½ cup water

Garnish (optional):​

• 1 stalk green onion finely chopped
  • 1 red chili pepper sliced

INSTRUCTIONS​

• In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch and ½ cup water until well combined. This is your cornstarch slurry. Set aside.
  • Slice chicken thighs into 1.5-inch pieces, about 4-6 pieces per thigh.
  • In a large mixing bowl, add sliced chicken thighs, followed by ¼ cup cornstarch. Give it a few mixes until each piece is coated in cornstarch. Set aside.
  • Then in a large skillet or wok on medium high heat, heat vegetable oil. Lower chicken in batches, Fry until crispy golden brown on both sides, about 6-8 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. To Air Fry the chicken, please see Notes below for instructions.
  • Afterward, in the same pan or wok set over medium heat, add ginger, garlic, and red chili. Fry for 10 seconds.
  • Next add hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and mix well before adding cornstarch slurry. (You may need to give the cornstarch water another stir before adding to the hot pan). Mix sauce ingredients until combined. Simmer to thicken.
  • Add crispy chicken back into the pan and toss with sauce. Remove off heat. Transfer to serving dish. Optional: Garnish with red chili and green onions if desired. Enjoy!

Notes​

To air fry the chicken:​

1. Spray air fryer basket with sufficient oil.

2. Place coated chicken into the basket in a single layer, giving each piece enough room. Do not overlap. You may need to air fry in two batches.

3. Lightly spray the chicken with oil.

4. Air fry at 400 F for 10-14 minutes until desired crispiness.

Storage​

This dish will last up to 4 days in the fridge. To store leftovers, transfer leftover Mongolian chicken into an airtight container. To reheat the next day, microwave or reheat on the stove top on medium heat

Attachments

• 1000024737.jpg
    1000024737.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sponsored
I think something is missing. “See notes below “ there are none!
this sounds like it could be a great meal just worried about missing bits - in ingredients 2 tsps - blank
can you review and add the missing bits. Also can this work for beef? My husband loves Mongolian beef on odd occasion we buy Chinese food.

thank you to the recipe maker I am allergic to corn - its the first time I've seen a substitute for cornstarch. I will be using this in future

I found the recipe on Pinterest. It calls for 1lb or 6 chicken thighs. The missing ingredient is 1/4 cup of the slurry. The two tspn looks like a typo.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I think something is missing. “See notes below “ there are none!
this sounds like it could be a great meal just worried about missing bits - in ingredients 2 tsps - blank
can you review and add the missing bits. Also can this work for beef? My husband loves Mongolian beef on odd occasion we buy Chinese food.
Just cut thin. revised some didn't print all fixed when I cut and paste it should all print ...not doing so. So will check twice next time sorry guys . Cut beef strips thin.