Crisis alert: TGA issues urgent warning about shortage of essential medicines

Health issues can be extremely stressful, and the inaccessibility of medication should be the least of any person’s worries.

However, Australia is reportedly grappling with a critical shortage of essential medicines, which has prompted the federal government's Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) to issue an urgent warning.

The shortage is not limited to a handful of drugs but extends to a staggering 41 critical medications, affecting a wide range of treatments from surgery to rare conditions.

The overall shortage encompasses more than 400 medications, with over 60 anticipated to go into shortage soon and over 250 already discontinued.

SDC 5.png
Australia is currently facing a shortage of more than 400 medications. Image source: topntp26 on Freepik.

This situation is not just alarming but could potentially put lives at risk, particularly for those who rely on these medications for their daily well-being and survival.

Among the critical medicines in shortage is Suxamethonium Juno, a drug used to relax muscles during surgery or medical procedures.

New supplies of this essential medicine are not expected until May next year, leaving medical professionals to seek alternatives or delay necessary procedures.

Another critical drug facing a shortage is DBL Sodium Thiosulfate Injection, used to treat cyanide poisoning.

New stock of this life-saving medication is not expected until April next year.

The shortage also extends to medicines for cancer treatment, including Ethyol Amifostine, which is used to prevent kidney damage from chemotherapy.

Antidepressants and antibiotics, both of which are crucial for managing mental health and fighting infections, are also on the list of critical shortages.

The dates for new supplies of these medications range from this month well into next year.

Non-critical medicines facing shortages include those used to treat schizophrenia, Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes.

While most of these medicines have expected resupply dates in December or January, it may be months before others are restocked.

In response to this crisis, the TGA has stated that patients who require critical medicines will be provided alternative unapproved products available under the Special Access Scheme.

The full list of shortages and the list of critical shortages is available on the Therapeutic Goods Association (TGA) website.

This news comes after Mario Tascone, the Director of Chemist Warehouse, issued a warning against doctors' calls to double the number of medications that can be dispensed in a single prescription, as it could lead to massive drug shortages in the country.

Under the new system, drugs would have been prescribed in doubled volumes, and a lower cap on the cost of medicine payments will be put in place to relieve the pressure on GPs.

The Chemist Warehouse boss said that while it would be possible to successfully increase drug volumes over time by 'two or three years', a sudden policy change would spell disaster for pharmacists and the supply chain in general.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has issued a warning that Australians are facing a shortage of over 400 critical medicines.
  • Essential drugs for surgery and rare conditions, including Suxamethonium Juno and DBL Sodium Thiosulfate Injection, are in shortage.
  • Antidepressants, antibiotics and medicines used for cancer treatment are also listed among the critical shortages.
  • Patients needing critical medicines will be offered alternative unapproved products under the Special Access Scheme.
What are your thoughts on this news? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Health issues can be extremely stressful, and the inaccessibility of medication should be the least of any person’s worries.

However, Australia is reportedly grappling with a critical shortage of essential medicines, which has prompted the federal government's Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) to issue an urgent warning.

The shortage is not limited to a handful of drugs but extends to a staggering 41 critical medications, affecting a wide range of treatments from surgery to rare conditions.

The overall shortage encompasses more than 400 medications, with over 60 anticipated to go into shortage soon and over 250 already discontinued.

View attachment 37406
Australia is currently facing a shortage of more than 400 medications. Image source: topntp26 on Freepik.

This situation is not just alarming but could potentially put lives at risk, particularly for those who rely on these medications for their daily well-being and survival.

Among the critical medicines in shortage is Suxamethonium Juno, a drug used to relax muscles during surgery or medical procedures.

New supplies of this essential medicine are not expected until May next year, leaving medical professionals to seek alternatives or delay necessary procedures.

Another critical drug facing a shortage is DBL Sodium Thiosulfate Injection, used to treat cyanide poisoning.

The shortage also extends to medicines for cancer treatment, including Ethyol Amifostine, which is used to prevent kidney damage from chemotherapy.

Antidepressants and antibiotics, both of which are crucial for managing mental health and fighting infections, are also on the list of critical shortages.

The dates for new supplies of these medications range from this month well into next year.

Non-critical medicines facing shortages include those used to treat schizophrenia, Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes.

While most of these medicines have expected resupply dates in December or January, it may be months before others are restocked.

In response to this crisis, the TGA has stated that patients who require critical medicines will be provided alternative unapproved products available under the Special Access Scheme.

The full list of shortages and the list of critical shortages is available on the Therapeutic Goods Association (TGA) website.

This news comes after Mario Tascone, the Director of Chemist Warehouse, issued a warning against doctors' calls to double the number of medications that can be dispensed in a single prescription, as it could lead to massive drug shortages in the country.

Under the new system, drugs would have been prescribed in doubled volumes, and a lower cap on the cost of medicine payments will be put in place to relieve the pressure on GPs.

The Chemist Warehouse boss said that while it would be possible to successfully increase drug volumes over time by 'two or three years', a sudden policy change would spell disaster for pharmacists and the supply chain in general.

Key Takeaways

• The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has issued a warning that Australians are facing a shortage of over 400 critical medicines.
  • Essential drugs for surgery and rare conditions, including Suxamethonium Juno and DBL Sodium Thiosulfate Injection, are in shortage.
  • Antidepressants, antibiotics and medicines used for cancer treatment are also listed among the critical shortages.
  • Patients needing critical medicines will be offered alternative unapproved products under the Special Access Scheme.
I questioned the female at Tony Ferguson penrith about the price on one of my prescriptions and she said it's in short supply so the price went up, I rang the pharmacy guild and they got me to lodge a complaint via email, it's not right, she was the rudest person I've ever met. A few choice words were said that day.

I questioned the female at Tony Ferguson penrith about the price on one of my prescriptions and she said it's in short supply so the price went up, I rang the pharmacy guild and they got me to lodge a complaint via email, it's not right, she was the rudest person I've ever met. A few choice words were said that day.
Not happy Jan, because we are aged and
Infirmed, our dependence on certain
Medications is the difference between
being mobile or not.
So I can only hope the medications we depend on are available. Did I mention
the pain endured associated with various ailments that can be very debilitating
without our medication being short or
out of stock is definitely disturbing.

That is so wrong . I hope you have submitted a complaint .

My doctor started me on diabetic medication two weeks ago after trying for 1 year with a diet. I asked to go on Ozempic as I heard it's one of the better ones, but she said we will revisit it next year as there is absolutely no stock.

As for Suxamethonium, this is the muscle relaxant that I'm highly allergic to which I had an anaephylactic reaction. This is also the relaxant they will use in accidents and car accidents when they need a muscle relaxant to say incubate. It works the quickest out of all relaxants

What I want to know is why are all these medications either in low stock or no stick at all.

My pharmacist told me the other week how low alot of medications were but she had no idea why. She did say it's been a problem for awhile but has now become critical . She said they were using Covid as an excuse before but really can't be using that excuse now

My thought

View attachment 37406

Key Takeaways

Just as TV news like to panic people, so is SDC. Gp's and Pharmacies has been aware of this for a long time and can suggest alternatives.

Why doesn't SDC send a petition to thank the PM for his thoughtlessness in endangering health of Australians, not that he would care at all of course

Reactions: Gsr and Robbo3006
Why we have to depend on medication supplies from overseas is beyond me. We have the resources to produce our own medicines in Australia. Everything gets made offshore and when Covid hit it all went to hell in a basket. I’m not sure how it is the fault of the Prime Minister,I blame big pharmaceutical companies.

View attachment 37406

Key Takeaways

It’s time medications were made in Australia. Relying on overseas countries doesn’t work.

View attachment 37406

Key Takeaways

MAKE THEM IN AUSTRALIA is the only way to avoid this problem. I am a diabetic so I need medication as does many other Australians. Why should we rely on importing our medications when we could make them?
One problem is the copyright of products held by big Pharma which dictate when and where their products are produced and how much. Our Government must step up and fix the supply shortage NOW.

Price gouging at its lowest!

My doctor started me on diabetic medication two weeks ago after trying for 1 year with a diet. I asked to go on Ozempic as I heard it's one of the better ones, but she said we will revisit it next year as there is absolutely no stock.

As for Suxamethonium, this is the muscle relaxant that I'm highly allergic to which I had an anaephylactic reaction. This is also the relaxant they will use in accidents and car accidents when they need a muscle relaxant to say incubate. It works the quickest out of all relaxants

What I want to know is why are all these medications either in low stock or no stick at all.

My pharmacist told me the other week how low alot of medications were but she had no idea why. She did say it's been a problem for awhile but has now become critical . She said they were using Covid as an excuse before but really can't be using that excuse now
Covid gets the blame for everything lately!

Should have gone to Chemist Warehouse . That's just rude.

View attachment 37406

Key Takeaways

Unfortunately when you live in a country that does not have a manufacturing industry this is inevitable. Maybe those who import these drugs need to have a look at their process for re-ordering - even forward thinking and ensure there are adequate supplies stored in Australia - is it just a case of regularly checking the pantry!!!

View attachment 37406

Key Takeaways

JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!

"Non-critical medicines facing shortages include those used to treat schizophrenia, Parkinson’s disease, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes"

How can they call these non-critical medications???

View attachment 37406

Key Takeaways

Not great for diabetics either. Ozempic? maybe supplies will be right for next Christmas. Ryzodeg 70/30 pens, maybe June next year. Luckily I got the Ryzodeg Penfils to use with a Novopen, Why can't the government look at having these produced here under licence. Last Christmas there were shortages of Amoxil, Ozempic, Resprim. Not really good for a developed country.