Company to ditch 'soup' after 155 years in rebranding effort to reflect modern food trends

As we all know, names can carry much weight, especially when they've been around for over a century and a half.

But even the most iconic brands sometimes decide it's time for a change.

In a move that's stirring up quite the conversation, the Campbell Soup Company, a household name for generations, has announced a significant shift in its corporate identity.

After 155 years, the company is set to drop the word 'Soup' from its name and rebrand as Campbell's Company.

This decision reflects a broader trend in consumer habits, with more and more people reaching for snacks rather than the ready-to-serve soups that made Campbell's a kitchen staple.

1726119001878.png
Campbell Soup Co. rebranded itself as Campbell's Company, dropping 'soup' from the name. Credit: Shutterstock

The company isn't just about soup anymore; it's diversified its portfolio to include a variety of other food lines that are capturing the attention of snack lovers everywhere.

Campbell's now owns an array of snack brands you might be familiar with, such as V8 Juice, Prego pasta sauces, and the ever-popular Goldfish crackers.

They've also acquired Snyder's of Hanover and Cape Cod, expanding their reach into the snack aisle.

More recently, Campbell's made a significant move by purchasing Sovos Brands, which includes well-known Italian food brands like Rao's sauces.

The company's Australian and New Zealand arm is set to follow in the footsteps of its US counterpart in making this branding shift.

Campbell CEO Mark Clouse emphasised the importance of this change, stating, 'This subtle yet important change retains the company's iconic name recognition, reputation, and equity built over 155 years while better reflecting the full breadth of the company's portfolio.'

However, before the name change becomes official, shareholders must approve it at the company's annual meeting in November.

While soup remains a significant part of Campbell's business, it now represents a smaller portion of its sales.

Last year, the company's snack sales grew by an impressive 13 per cent, while soup sales grew by just three per cent.

Legacy food companies worldwide are recognising the potential of the snack market, valued at more than $US200 billion ($300 billion) in the US alone, according to market research firm Circana.

With nearly half of Americans reporting consuming at least three snacks a day, the snack industry is large, attractive and enduring.

We've seen similar moves from other major players in the food industry.

For instance, Mars, known for its M&M's, recently agreed to acquire Kellanova, the owner of Pringles and Cheez-Its, in a deal worth almost $29 billion.

'Snacking is a large, attractive, and durable category that continues to grow in importance with consumers,' Kellanova said.

In related news, Kellogg's, the Australian cereal company known for Sultana Bran, Coco Pops, and Corn Flakes, has rebranded itself as Kellanova.

This name change reflects a strategic shift towards expanding their product range into the snacks sector in Australia. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Campbell Soup Company plans to rebrand as The Campbell's Company, dropping 'soup' from its corporate name.
  • The rebrand reflected the company's shift in focus from soup to a broader range of food products, including snacks and other lines it has acquired.
  • The company owns various brands such as V8 Juice, Prego pasta sauces, Goldfish, and Snyder's of Hanover and has recently purchased Sovos Brands.
  • The name change aims to represent the full scope of Campbell's portfolio, pending shareholder approval at the annual meeting in November.
What do you think about Campbell's decision to drop 'Soup' from its name? Is it a smart move to stay relevant in today's fast-paced snack culture, or is it straying too far from the brand's roots? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
It is essential that we retain our GOOD, HEALTHY, TASTY, FILLING, EASY TO CARRY, EASY TO STORE and EASIER STILL TO PREPARE SOUPS!!!!!
Millions of Australians use SOUP as a hearty HOT meal, with Bread or Toast, especially in Winter.
So many Australians use the canned SOUPS as a Casserole BASE to prepare different, tasty Pasta meals for the family,

Only a COMPLETE MORON would and will stop making NUTRITIOUS SOUPS in cans that AUSTRALIANS love so well.
I do not care that the excessive number of incomers to OUR COUNTRY have never seen canned SOUP before.
The Africans, Indians, Palestinians will just have to get used to OUR FOOD in OUR COUNTRY.
Pensioners and the enormous number of poor and homeless people DEPEND on our tinned SOUPS. It is a vital, necessary, extremely convenient, nutritious product and the container is fully recyclable in multiple ways.

The Campbell CRETINS need to think again! Clearly Campbell has employed disconnected, spoiled, over-paid, caviar & oyster sucking staff who are grossly OUT OF TOUCH with AUSTRALIAN reality.
Camping, Holidays, Caravan-ing Grey Nomads all live canned SOUP for all the above stated reasons, and canned soup has a long shelf-life which is necessary when travelling around this vast land.

Wake up, you pretentious, little-minded, money-grubbing twerps and leave OUR canned SOUP alone. We like it and we want to buy it.

It is essential that we retain our GOOD, HEALTHY, TASTY, FILLING, EASY TO CARRY, EASY TO STORE and EASIER STILL TO PREPARE SOUPS!!!!!
Millions of Australians use SOUP as a hearty HOT meal, with Bread or Toast, especially in Winter.
So many Australians use the canned SOUPS as a Casserole BASE to prepare different, tasty Pasta meals for the family,

Only a COMPLETE MORON would and will stop making NUTRITIOUS SOUPS in cans that AUSTRALIANS love so well.
I do not care that the excessive number of incomers to OUR COUNTRY have never seen canned SOUP before.
The Africans, Indians, Palestinians will just have to get used to OUR FOOD in OUR COUNTRY.
Pensioners and the enormous number of poor and homeless people DEPEND on our tinned SOUPS. It is a vital, necessary, extremely convenient, nutritious product and the container is fully recyclable in multiple ways.

The Campbell CRETINS need to think again! Clearly Campbell has employed disconnected, spoiled, over-paid, caviar & oyster sucking staff who are grossly OUT OF TOUCH with AUSTRALIAN reality.
Camping, Holidays, Caravan-ing Grey Nomads all live canned SOUP for all the above stated reasons, and canned soup has a long shelf-life which is necessary when travelling around this vast land.

Wake up, you pretentious, little-minded, money-grubbing twerps and leave OUR canned SOUP alone. We like it and we want to buy it.
Oh well said, a brilliant comment. I have a can of Campbells' tomato soup in my cupboard at the moment and when I use it I always replace it. The name change does not entirely phase me but I do agree with the comments made by BabsL. So well said.

Oh well said, a brilliant comment. I have a can of Campbells' tomato soup in my cupboard at the moment and when I use it I always replace it. The name change does not entirely phase me but I do agree with the comments made by BabsL. So well said.
I still have a can of Campbell’s tomato soup and a can of Heinz tomato soup in the pantry. But my favourite brand of tomato soup is Rosella.

I thought Rosella had stopped making the tomato soup altogether, which I haven’t found for years. Just checked their website, and it’s being made again since 2022 and no longer in a can. Is in the tetra packs now. Must be why I haven’t seen it.

Reactions: Mr Chips
I still have a can of Campbell’s tomato soup and a can of Heinz tomato soup in the pantry. But my favourite brand of tomato soup is Rosella.

I thought Rosella had stopped making the tomato soup altogether, which I haven’t found for years. Just checked their website, and it’s being made again since 2022 and no longer in a can. Is in the tetra packs now. Must be why I haven’t seen it.
Will buy the Rosella tomato soup in the pack next time to try.

Reactions: DLHM
I have been a devotee of Campbells Tomato Soup for years, and I sincerely hope it is not being done away with. Changing name I don’t see as an issue particularly if label style remain unchanged as many people, me included, are visual shoppers. What dismays me is the reported trend to a more snack orientated diet in preference to good home cooked meals.