Coles customers surprised as milk prices are 'quietly' hiked

To our members who have recently gone to Coles, does anything look different, especially in the milk aisle? It's possible that you haven't even noticed, but the price of milk has been creeping steadily upward for quite some time now...

Apparently, some customers have noticed that the supermarket giant has 'quietly' increased the price of its own brand of milk in stores, without prior notice or making any announcements.

On the other hand, online shoppers also said that they are still paying the previous price for their bottles of milk.

On Wednesday, a picture was uploaded to the Facebook group called "Simple Savers" showing a 3L carton of Coles full cream milk with a price tag of $4.50. This shows an increase of 60 cents from the previous price.

The customer went on to say that she noticed the 2L was now $3.10 and the long-life was $1.60 when she went shopping in the morning.

On the Coles website, however, the price of a 3L milk was still at $3.90, the 2L was still at $2.60 and the long-life was at $1.35.

7l4UG63GOOCt79qUlmSXrteqQ9r1vMz-4EAuvZzyo9tuQECMKqMZm_qQoFzbpzX8X565UdZh_Q6L43KxpFvncm7dOmxqmFIOaVmrctFT2xfqN24j7jauHTMa6inEaazjvagpRuyUeGaFT9hqQf0kkwI

Customers have observed that Coles has recently raised the price of milk in their store. Credit: Facebook.

Coles has addressed the matter and stated that price increases were made in response to recent increases in sourcing, transportation, and packaging costs. This also includes a big increase in the prices paid to dairy farmers at the farm gate, which some of the supermarket's suppliers have said is a good thing.

"We know customers are facing the increased cost of living pressures and Coles remains committed to continuing to deliver great value to our customers," said Coles Chief Commercial Officer Leah Weckert.

"Raising prices is never something we do lightly, however the increased supply chain costs we are seeing, including higher payments to dairy farmers and processors, have necessitated these increases on Coles Brand milk products," she added.

"The feedback we’ve received from farmers and processors following the recent increases in farmgate and wholesale prices has been very positive, and we hope customers will help us continue to support them by purchasing their great quality Australian milk."

However, the price hikes did not only affect milk sold under the Coles brand.

While browsing and scanning the dairy section of an unspecified grocery store, another Aussie in the Facebook group was shocked when she saw the price of lactose-free milk had gone up as well.

The woman claimed that the price of a 2L bottle of Paul's Zymil lactose-free low-fat milk was now $6.60, while an alternative made by Norco was now $5.95.

"Any suggestions on where I can get cheaper low-fat milk, please?" the woman asked her fellow shoppers in the group. "I simply cannot afford it any longer. I don't want to drink cupboard milk (long-life milk) instead, but it appears to be the only option."

The observation surprised a good number of people in the Facebook group, and they responded by providing the woman with a list of possible alternatives that she could purchase.

"You just gave me a shock," one woman wrote in the comments. "I buy lactose-free milk but haven’t looked at the price. I think I will have to buy my husband normal milk and just get a 1L for me!"

-gD7XjdxSKsLkyS1FKLriAM95MfiqN5ei4K3bLlsVnXZL0rozdpwncJZG1fVPtAd94riKSSlhW9p1NVAZaFbZfxtovQyaW2Ft-UKHF7gfyDNHi3iOc9E1bs3ri-9T7WMoTuhGonxx9RCxhYjNtSW3U8

Coles says that the price hike is due to higher costs for sourcing, shipping, and packaging. Credit: ABC Rural: Kim Honan.

According to comments made by other users, long-life milk options are typically less expensive than fresh milk. Someone else also said they buy 1L of milk from Aldi because it's cheaper, but he suggested that low-fat powdered milk from Woolworths or Coles for $8 is also a good option.

While some in the group argued that milk was still reasonably priced at $4.50, others said it was "ridiculous" how prices keep going up.

"OMG, this is so sad... That means cafe prices will rise as well, but I guess we can't afford to go there anymore," one user wrote.

A second person agreed and added, "Let's just hope that the increase doesn't just go to CEOs and other upper-level executives, but also to the farmers who work hard to supply it."

What do you think, everyone? Have you also noticed a change in the milk brands you typically purchase?

Sponsored
To our members who have recently gone to Coles, does anything look different, especially in the milk aisle? It's possible that you haven't even noticed, but the price of milk has been creeping steadily upward for quite some time now...

Apparently, some customers have noticed that the supermarket giant has 'quietly' increased the price of its own brand of milk in stores, without prior notice or making any announcements.

On the other hand, online shoppers also said that they are still paying the previous price for their bottles of milk.

On Wednesday, a picture was uploaded to the Facebook group called "Simple Savers" showing a 3L carton of Coles full cream milk with a price tag of $4.50. This shows an increase of 60 cents from the previous price.

The customer went on to say that she noticed the 2L was now $3.10 and the long-life was $1.60 when she went shopping in the morning.

On the Coles website, however, the price of a 3L milk was still at $3.90, the 2L was still at $2.60 and the long-life was at $1.35.

7l4UG63GOOCt79qUlmSXrteqQ9r1vMz-4EAuvZzyo9tuQECMKqMZm_qQoFzbpzX8X565UdZh_Q6L43KxpFvncm7dOmxqmFIOaVmrctFT2xfqN24j7jauHTMa6inEaazjvagpRuyUeGaFT9hqQf0kkwI

Customers have observed that Coles has recently raised the price of milk in their store. Credit: Facebook.

Coles has addressed the matter and stated that price increases were made in response to recent increases in sourcing, transportation, and packaging costs. This also includes a big increase in the prices paid to dairy farmers at the farm gate, which some of the supermarket's suppliers have said is a good thing.

"We know customers are facing the increased cost of living pressures and Coles remains committed to continuing to deliver great value to our customers," said Coles Chief Commercial Officer Leah Weckert.

"Raising prices is never something we do lightly, however the increased supply chain costs we are seeing, including higher payments to dairy farmers and processors, have necessitated these increases on Coles Brand milk products," she added.

"The feedback we’ve received from farmers and processors following the recent increases in farmgate and wholesale prices has been very positive, and we hope customers will help us continue to support them by purchasing their great quality Australian milk."

While browsing and scanning the dairy section of an unspecified grocery store, another Aussie in the Facebook group was shocked when she saw the price of lactose-free milk had gone up as well.

The woman claimed that the price of a 2L bottle of Paul's Zymil lactose-free low-fat milk was now $6.60, while an alternative made by Norco was now $5.95.

"Any suggestions on where I can get cheaper low-fat milk, please?" the woman asked her fellow shoppers in the group. "I simply cannot afford it any longer. I don't want to drink cupboard milk (long-life milk) instead, but it appears to be the only option."

The observation surprised a good number of people in the Facebook group, and they responded by providing the woman with a list of possible alternatives that she could purchase.

"You just gave me a shock," one woman wrote in the comments. "I buy lactose-free milk but haven’t looked at the price. I think I will have to buy my husband normal milk and just get a 1L for me!"

-gD7XjdxSKsLkyS1FKLriAM95MfiqN5ei4K3bLlsVnXZL0rozdpwncJZG1fVPtAd94riKSSlhW9p1NVAZaFbZfxtovQyaW2Ft-UKHF7gfyDNHi3iOc9E1bs3ri-9T7WMoTuhGonxx9RCxhYjNtSW3U8

Coles says that the price hike is due to higher costs for sourcing, shipping, and packaging. Credit: ABC Rural: Kim Honan.

According to comments made by other users, long-life milk options are typically less expensive than fresh milk. Someone else also said they buy 1L of milk from Aldi because it's cheaper, but he suggested that low-fat powdered milk from Woolworths or Coles for $8 is also a good option.

While some in the group argued that milk was still reasonably priced at $4.50, others said it was "ridiculous" how prices keep going up.

"OMG, this is so sad... That means cafe prices will rise as well, but I guess we can't afford to go there anymore," one user wrote.

A second person agreed and added, "Let's just hope that the increase doesn't just go to CEOs and other upper-level executives, but also to the farmers who work hard to supply it."

What do you think, everyone? Have you also noticed a change in the milk brands you typically purchase?
My A2 lite milk went from $5.30 on 22 May to $6.

My milk delivery from my milkman has increase due by 9% a week. Have noticed a lot of half price specials are now 50c extra.

Reactions: Ricci
There has been quite a bit of publicity on ABC radio this week about price rises for milk.

I don't understand why people expect companies to broadcast price rises anyway. If they issued statements for every price rise, they wouldn't get anything else done the way things are these days. Is it really that hard to look at the prices displayed?

I bought a 2L full cream milk at Aldi in Dubbo yesterday for $2.60, but I've noticed the price has been bouncing lately. Woolies in West Dubbo were shelf advertising $2.60 for 2l full cream on Tuesday, although I did not check my receipt in either store and don't know what I was actually charged.

I switched from Coles milk, because of the price rise(I don't believe the farmers got that extra)and I went to dairy farmers AND I found it lasted much longer, I used to use 2 litres p w and I now use 1 it definitely lasts longer and for me is much cheaper than Coles (even at their old price) and I save even more as I used to have to shop mid week mainly for milk, and now I don't. and as we know you can't just buy milk so I spend even less