SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Mikev

Mikev

Jun 14, 2024
Sydney
Buying Online - Caution

It's been said before, but beware of buying online unless you pay cash in person or via PayPal.

A mate of mine just lost $400 buying a car part on Facebook Marketplace. The seller had a professional looking page with lots of items for sale. My mate paid for the item by bank transfer, and never received the item, After complaining to Facebook they removed the seller's profile, but the money is long gone.

So if you are buying online through Facebook, eBay, or Gumtree etc., either pay cash in person on pickup or pay via PayPal. With PayPal there is some buyer protection and refunds can be given to the buyer if the item is not received or the seller is fraudulent.

I have bought small items twice from Facebook ads, set out very professionally many pages long, lots of photos. I could not see anything wrong. Twice I have not received the goods, no matter how many follow up emails I sent. Lesson learnt, I just scroll through those ads now.

I sell things on market place and quite a lot of people ask to post.I will do it when the payment is in my account,so there has to be trust there, I think you can check the sellers past history. I know I'm above board, but of course others don't.

I had already paid 2 of 4 payments with Paypal when I received the items I had purchased. They were not what I ordered. In the meantime the 3rd payment had been made by Paypal. I notified Paypal and told them I had not received the items. In the meantime, the Chinese supplier had promised a refund if I returned the items at my own expense (in excess of $80). During a search online I found a talk site with an extremely large number of complaints, similar to mine, re this company, telling customers not to buy, and not to send the items back as you never received any refund or replacement. They also said the retailer promised gift certificates etc. instead of replacement, but they rarely arrived. I received these offers and was also asked by the retailer to lie about the value so they would not have to pay duty on the returns. I reported this to Paypal and instructed that no further payments be made.
At the same time my credit card was reissued with a new number (no connection to this situation). Paypal sent me details of the payments they had already made and I found the payments had not been made to the company I bought from, but to another company. The name of this company was in Chinese characters. They told me that their contract was with the Chinese comany, not the online company supposedly operating from Australia. Paypal offered me a credit for $100 and asked that I make the 4th payment. I would have been out of pocket for in excess of $100. The matter has not progressed. Buyer beware.

I had already paid 2 of 4 payments with Paypal when I received the items I had purchased. They were not what I ordered. In the meantime the 3rd payment had been made by Paypal. I notified Paypal and told them I had not received the items. In the meantime, the Chinese supplier had promised a refund if I returned the items at my own expense (in excess of $80). During a search online I found a talk site with an extremely large number of complaints, similar to mine, re this company, telling customers not to buy, and not to send the items back as you never received any refund or replacement. They also said the retailer promised gift certificates etc. instead of replacement, but they rarely arrived. I received these offers and was also asked by the retailer to lie about the value so they would not have to pay duty on the returns. I reported this to Paypal and instructed that no further payments be made.
At the same time my credit card was reissued with a new number (no connection to this situation). Paypal sent me details of the payments they had already made and I found the payments had not been made to the company I bought from, but to another company. The name of this company was in Chinese characters. They told me that their contract was with the Chinese comany, not the online company supposedly operating from Australia. Paypal offered me a credit for $100 and asked that I make the 4th payment. I would have been out of pocket for in excess of $100. The matter has not progressed. Buyer beware.
I bought a couple of cheap clothing items from some site. I was sent a harmonica, I was stunned. Didn't chase it up because I didn't pay much. I don't buy online now except for Coles, Kmart or some well known site like that. But I always go directly to these sites and never buy from emails or that. Still can't wear the harmonica

Yes, but if you were selling an item on Marketketplace would you be able to take PayPal? Probably not!
Paying via PayPal is just as easy as paying into a bank account …..Of course both buyer and seller would have to have a PayPal account just as both would have to have a bank account, if cash is a problem. You can check if the other has a PayPal account by choosing the SEND Money and the next screen is to find the person…….by name, or email address or mobile number.. :giggle:
Yes, but if you were selling an item on Marketketplace would you be able to take PayPal? Probably not!

I bought a couple of cheap clothing items from some site. I was sent a harmonica, I was stunned. Didn't chase it up because I didn't pay much. I don't buy online now except for Coles, Kmart or some well known site like that. But I always go directly to these sites and never buy from emails or that. Still can't wear the harmonica
I've still got the bloody harmonica, never tried to play it and definitely can't wear it.😅

I have bought small items twice from Facebook ads, set out very professionally many pages long, lots of photos. I could not see anything wrong. Twice I have not received the goods, no matter how many follow up emails I sent. Lesson learnt, I just scroll through those ads now.
Put the same item into eBay or Temu and you will find it cheaper. Also then you can pay with paypal. Has worked for me

I bought a pet igloo off Amazon, it was much small than the dimensions quoted. They said they would refund if I returned the item at my own expense (Which was $5 less than the item actually cost). PayPal sorted the refund for me and I donated the igloo to the local vets. (No rescue centres anywhere near our rural town).
Market place is risky but I will only buy local and see the item for myself.

We purchased a 2nd caravan via f/book, luckily it was legitimate. Except RAC who the other parties finance was with wouldn't accept a BANK CHQ?? I thought it was still legal tender! There are so many scammers online now. I ask for cash only if selling small purchases & certainly wouldn't buy or rent a house online with Facebook or Gumtree leave that to the experts!

We purchased a 2nd caravan via f/book, luckily it was legitimate. Except RAC who the other parties finance was with wouldn't accept a BANK CHQ?? I thought it was still legal tender! There are so many scammers online now. I ask for cash only if selling small purchases & certainly wouldn't buy or rent a house online with Facebook or Gumtree leave that to the experts!
Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Unfortunately not too far now. lol