Big pay rise for over 5 million Aussies: What you need to know

As the cost of living continues to rise, many Australians feel the pinch, particularly those who rely on government assistance to make ends meet.

However, there's some good news on the horizon for over five million Aussies who will soon see a welcome increase in their wallets.

Services Australia payments are set to be indexed, and Rent Assistance payments will be increased further, providing a much-needed cash boost for many.

This indexation will be applied to a broad spectrum of payments, including the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, Carer Payments, Commonwealth Rent Assistance, Job Seeker Payments, and Parenting Payments.

The increases, which could be up to $41.50 per fortnight, will vary depending on the payment type and are scheduled to take effect on Friday, 20 September.

1726625053024.png
Over 5 million Australians get a cash boost with increased Services Australia payments. Credit: Shutterstock

For those of you who need to become more familiar with the term, indexation is a method used to adjust income payments by a percentage that reflects the movement in prices or wages.

Commonwealth Rent Assistance will see a significant 10 per cent increase in maximum rates.

At the maximum rate, this translates to an extra $23 for single recipients every fortnight.

Families with one or two children will see their Rent Assistance payment rise by $27.02 per fortnight.

JobSeeker recipients are also set to benefit.

‘Single JobSeeker Payment recipients with an assessed partial capacity to work of zero to 14 hours per week will move to the higher rate of JobSeeker, receiving $849.50 a fortnight,’ the Department of Social Services stated.

Even those remaining on the lower rate will see an increase; single recipients without children will receive an additional $15.30, while those with a child will get a $19.80 boost.

Single-age pensioners will notice an increase of $28.10 in their fortnightly payments, and couples will receive a combined $42.40 increase.

The same rise applies to the Disability Support Pension and Carer Payment, with total payments per fortnight, including the energy supplement, reaching $1114.40 for singles and $862.60 for each couple member.

Parenting Payment recipients will also benefit from a $19.80 increase in fortnightly payments.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth has stated that these indexation increases and budget measures mean that Commonwealth Rent Assistance has risen by about 45 per cent since Labor was elected.

‘This government recognises that many Australians continue to be directly affected by cost of living pressures,’ she emphasised.

‘This indexation will deliver timely boosts to people receiving allowance payments and pensions, ensuring that these vulnerable cohorts have more money in their pockets for everyday expenses.’

Find out if you're eligible for these increased benefits and see the list of increasing payments.

It's essential to visit the Department of Social Services website or contact Services Australia directly.

Key Takeaways

• The indexation of Services Australia payments, including the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, Carer Payments, Commonwealth Rent Assistance, JobSeeker, and Parenting Payments, will give more than five million Australians a cash boost.
  • The indexation increase, which may reach $41.50 a fortnight, will vary depending on the payment type and take effect on Friday, 20 September.
  • The maximum rates of Commonwealth Rent Assistance will rise by 10 per cent, with varying increases for single recipients and families depending on their circumstances.
  • Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth highlighted that the combination of indexation and budget measures has resulted in a roughly 45 per cent increase in Rent Assistance since Labor was elected, alleviating cost-of-living pressures for vulnerable Australians.
How will the upcoming payment increases impact your budget? What adjustments might you notice in your government assistance from 20 September? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Well again you do paint too good a picture. It seems to be in your DNA to bolster this government. I need to remind you that every one of those recipients is getting the CPI/Average wage increases on average 6 months too late because these adjustments are after the event with people having to carry the load for that period without compensation. The process repeats and repeats. What also needs to be recognised is that generally these adjustments are automatic under any Australian Government no matter its colour. The rent assistance increase you quote at 45% does not in any serious way cover rental increases in housing which is mostly the result of poor government policies causing very high inflation. The compensation is totally inadequate. Those are the facts.

I can guarantee that within a few months our increase will be gobbled up with the increase of cost of living. And we'll be back to where, or worse, further behind than we were before the increase. The pay rise is only a catch up rise for the cost of living. We need double the rise to be in front. But I suppose it is better than nothing.

It is ridiculous that an increae of "up to $41.50" is considered "generous" when rent increases alone have been significantly higher than that. That does not even consider the other increases in the cost of living. It just reinforces once again how out of touch the government is. Howevere they are more than generous with the corporate welfare they hand out along with the handouts to the rich.

Well again you do paint too good a picture. It seems to be in your DNA to bolster this government. I need to remind you that every one of those recipients is getting the CPI/Average wage increases on average 6 months too late because these adjustments are after the event with people having to carry the load for that period without compensation. The process repeats and repeats. What also needs to be recognised is that generally these adjustments are automatic under any Australian Government no matter its colour. The rent assistance increase you quote at 45% does not in any serious way cover rental increases in housing which is mostly the result of poor government policies causing very high inflation. The compensation is totally inadequate. Those are the facts.
Better increases than anything your mob gave over nearly a decade and then tried to take it back with robo debt.

Try being a self funded retiree, we get f all, that's right absolutely nothing, yet are we always whinging like a lot of others who think the world owes them a living. If they didn't waste money on smoking or drinking and put something away for retirement perhaps they wouldn't have to rely on the government (read taxpayer) to fund their life choices.

Try being a self funded retiree, we get f all, that's right absolutely nothing, yet are we always whinging like a lot of others who think the world owes them a living. If they didn't waste money on smoking or drinking and put something away for retirement perhaps they wouldn't have to rely on the government (read taxpayer) to fund their life choices

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Agreed!

You are a self funded retiree and you dare to whinge you do not get anything? How lucky are you that you were able to save for retirement. That means you either earned enough to have enough super or were in business and made enough you could be self funded. Assuming people are "wasting money and smoking and and drinking" shows both your arrogance and ignorance. Most people are too busy trying to pay bills to have anything left over for retirement. Succesive governments since WW2 have known the pressure the post war generation were going to put on the retirement system. They all failed to deal with and left it to a government in the future to deal with. At the same time they put downwards pressure on peoples wages while rich people like you reaped the rewards.

I can guarantee that within a few months our increase will be gobbled up with the increase of cost of living. And we'll be back to where, or worse, further behind than we were before the increase. The pay rise is only a catch up rise for the cost of living. We need double the rise to be in front. But I suppose it is better than nothing.
It already has been.

Last edited:
Try being a self funded retiree, we get f all, that's right absolutely nothing, yet are we always whinging like a lot of others who think the world owes them a living. If they didn't waste money on smoking or drinking and put something away for retirement perhaps they wouldn't have to rely on the government (read taxpayer) to fund their life choices.
That’s abit harsh phantom36 😢

I agree with you Bill Schulz. We never catch up because the increase is always just before a further increase in everyday items.

Hear hear.....a load of BS .....doesn't cover the rental increase by a long chalk.

Judgement judgement and more judgement.I havent walked in anyone else's shoes so I have no right to judge.I own the choices I have made in life as that has made me who I am today.For those who wish to judge I have had many forks in the road of life and live by unconditional love.