Beloved soap star Meg Johnson passes away at 86 following a valiant battle with dementia

It is with great sadness that we at the Seniors Discount Club have to report the passing of soap opera luminary Meg Johnson, at the age of 86, following a valiant battle with dementia over the last few years.

Meg, beloved for her top-notch performance as the charming Pearl Ladderbanks in Emmerdale, will undoubtedly be remembered fondly by her fans and respected for her significant contribution to television.

Meg Johnson's passing was confirmed through an emotional joint statement from her family, her talent agency, and the ITV show Emmerdale, stating, 'Meg was a kind and wonderful lady, full of warmth and always with a twinkle in her eye. Meg had an outstanding career that ended with her playing Pearl Ladderbanks from 2003.'

'Meg had dementia for the last few years but battled on personally and professionally regardless. She will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her.'

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 8.39.21 AM.png
Meg Johnson passed away at the age of 86 following a courageous battle with dementia over the past few years. Credit: YouTube/Emmerdale.

Born in Manchester in 1936, Johnson had a diverse career in television before making her debut on Coronation Street in 1976 as Brenda Holden. She later joined the soap's cast as Eunice Gee in 1981, reprising the role several times over the next two decades.

During the mid-1980s, she also appeared in Victoria Wood: As Seen On TV, alongside the late comedian, as well as Dame Julie Walters and Celia Imrie.

In 1997, Johnson showcased her talents on the stage as part of the original cast of the London revival of Chicago. She portrayed the prison warder Matron Mama Morton for over a year, leaving a lasting impression.

In 2000, she landed the role of Brigid McKenna in Channel 4's Brookside and played the character until the soap's cancellation in 2003. Following this, she moved on to Emmerdale, where she captivated audiences for an impressive 17 years as the beloved character Pearl Ladderbanks.

Johnson was married to Charles Foster, an ITV Granada continuity announcer. Foster passed away earlier in 2023.

Credit: Emmerdale.

Numerous soap stars took to social media to express their condolences for Johnson, including Danny Miller, renowned for portraying Aaron Dingle in the long-standing ITV soap, which has garnered a devoted following.

Miller, who triumphed as the victor in the 2021 edition of I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!, shared his heartfelt sentiments on Twitter: 'Truly devastated to hear this. Pearl was a fair way to describe our lovely Meg.'

He further expressed that she was 'cherished by everyone in the building' and that they shared countless laughter-filled moments together.

Gemma Oaten, a former Emmerdale star who portrayed Rachel Breckle from 2011 to 2015, paid tribute to Johnson and other departed cast members Shirley Stelfox, Freddie Jones, and Richard Thorp, stating that they would take care of her in the afterlife.

On Twitter, Oaten conveyed her profound affection for the Emmerdale family and Johnson's loved ones: 'Sending so much love to the Emmerdale family and family of the late and great Meg Johnson. A beautiful woman inside and out, who was always so kind to me during my #Emmerdale days.'

She added, 'Such a sad loss, but what a life and what a treasure she was. She was always so kind (and wickedly funny!).'

Key Takeaways

• Soap opera actress Meg Johnson, known for her portrayal of Pearl Ladderbanks in Emmerdale, has died at the age of 86.
  • Johnson's family, talent agency and the ITV show confirmed her death in a joint statement, noting she had battled dementia for several years.
  • Johnson, remembered for her warmth and 'twinkle in her eye', had a celebrated career culminating with her role in Emmerdale since 2003.
  • The actress's death was met with sadness and tributes as she will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her.

Meg Johnson's remarkable journey in the world of dramatic arts may have ended, but her courageous battle against dementia and the profound legacy she leaves behind resonate deeply. Despite her personal struggles, Meg's portrayal of Pearl radiated authenticity, capturing the hearts of countless viewers.

As we mourn the loss of Meg Johnson, we at the SDC extend our heartfelt condolences to her family, friends, and devoted fans. She will be remembered as a beloved actress and a resilient, vibrant woman whose warmth and inner strength will continue to inspire. Meg's legacy is undeniably enduring.

May she rest in peace.

Sponsored
No disrespect intended re the deceased, but having never heard of either her or the soapie, I wonder why the SDC chose to publish this?
Probably because a lot of other people would have watched her shows and would want to know! I don’t know her or the show having not been into soapy TV - however there are plenty who watch daily and love it.

No disrespect intended re the deceased, but having never heard of either her or the soapie, I wonder why the SDC chose to publish this?
That was my first thought. I was thinking nobody in Australia would have heard of her or the programmes she's been in unless they're originally from the UK.🤔

However, I'm originally from the UK and have heard of her and those programmes.

Probably because a lot of other people would have watched her shows and would want to know! I don’t know her or the show having not been into soapy TV - however there are plenty who watch daily and love it.
Maybe if they're English and got a VPN to watch English programmes. Otherwise they don't even show them here.

The shows are available to watch through the BBC channel on Foxtel. So both Brits in Australia and Aussies can watch and be up to date like our British counterparts.
Not everyone has Foxtel. I haven't and don't miss it. There's plenty of of other channels and programmes to watch. And my VPN is excellent for watching all UK TV channels and anywhere else in the world and is cheaper then Netflix anyway.

Not everyone has Foxtel. I haven't and don't miss it. There's plenty of of other channels and programmes to watch. And my VPN is excellent for watching all UK TV channels and anywhere else in the world and is cheaper then Netflix anyway.
There are many options available to suit many different tastes. How boring would it be if we all watched the same shows & documentaries. Like chosing how you dress, personal preference. Here is an example. I love my Formula 1 Grand Prix and the only carrier that has it happens to be Foxtel, so I subscribe to the Sports channel. As to cost, my daughter organises our packages and for BBC, Sports, Kiddies selection for my grandchildren, UK extra channels plus all the Aussie free to air's under $40 a month. Now added in for free is Netflix, Prime, Paramount, movie channels and a channel just for old TV series. As I am disabled sitting at the movies is a no go. So this way I get current, old and my own selection of shows and movies that I comfortably watch from my home without any embarrassing episodes happening to me. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't buy magazines & have very few treats so I see my monthly fee as being quite cheap. Plus I learn from the docos and with my little grand kids we have so much fun watching and playing games. But as I said initially, to each his own opinions.

I hope all members have a great week 😀

Reactions: Littleboy8
There are many options available to suit many different tastes. How boring would it be if we all watched the same shows & documentaries. Like chosing how you dress, personal preference. Here is an example. I love my Formula 1 Grand Prix and the only carrier that has it happens to be Foxtel, so I subscribe to the Sports channel. As to cost, my daughter organises our packages and for BBC, Sports, Kiddies selection for my grandchildren, UK extra channels plus all the Aussie free to air's under $40 a month. Now added in for free is Netflix, Prime, Paramount, movie channels and a channel just for old TV series. As I am disabled sitting at the movies is a no go. So this way I get current, old and my own selection of shows and movies that I comfortably watch from my home without any embarrassing episodes happening to me. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't buy magazines & have very few treats so I see my monthly fee as being quite cheap. Plus I learn from the docos and with my little grand kids we have so much fun watching and playing games. But as I said initially, to each his own opinions.

I hope all members have a great week 😀
You too😁