Aussie scientist SLAMS almond milk, calls it "the worst" and "nothing but expensive water"

Almond milk is a dairy-free, vegan substitute for cow's milk that has grown in popularity in recent years.

Many coffee drinkers prefer almond milk because of its creamy texture and nutty flavour, which can enhance the taste and texture of their favourite cuppa. Almond milk, according to some baristas, even steams and froths better than cow's milk, making it excellent for lattes and cappuccinos.

However, a well-known Aussie scientist has stunned his readers by claiming that almond milk is nutritionally inferior to other milk alternatives.

On a recent podcast, renowned author and scientist Karl Kruszelnicki, also popularly known as Dr Karl on social media, claimed that regular dairy milk, soy milk, and even peanut milk have significantly more nutrients than almond milk.

"Almonds are loaded with nutrition and you'd think almond milk would be good, but somehow they've managed to extract all the nutrition," he said, adding that the end result is essentially a "very expensive water", even going as far as calling it "the worst one out of all".

j5ECJEswHGum-QsRgVfc5z8-pjD2bwuazmo7N9v3vYjjkGivMYPB9cr9ey3DEmr8-EpWTxtlQKaQUGLiXJ0t-C3x3rU-mspl6DwMqUYY5sxNQ8D7Hy6Fx40aLGvi5zT1-bTPoItAsqKt4WlIzA

Dr Karl says almond milk is just "very expensive water". Credit: Daily Mail.

In recent years, the milk aisles of supermarkets have expanded with dairy and plant-based milk alternatives for lactose-intolerant consumers.

Almond milk is a tasty, low-calorie alternative to dairy that is produced by mixing almonds with water and then straining off the solid particles.

Almond milk usually contains only 39 calories, 3g of fat, and 1g of protein every 240mL, but soy milk contains 100 calories, 7g of protein, and 4g of fat per 240mL.

However, it is crucial to realise that some almond milk products may include added sugar.

Regular coffee drinkers and almond milk aficionados were equally astounded by the claims, while some explained that almond milk is their only option available.

"For those of us who can't tolerate dairy, the only alternatives are plant-based products like almond milk," one person said on social media.

Another user commented that the nutrient content is minimal because plant-based milk often has a low percentage of almonds.

"People don't drink almond milk for the nutritional value," a third user agreed and further defended the product, adding: "Lactose intolerance, lower carb content and some have lower calories than cow milk."

What about you, folks? Do you like your cuppa straight and black, or do you like it with milk? If so, what type of milk do you prefer? Do let us know in the comments!

• Sad
Reactions: Liz, BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
I have intolerance to casein and lactose in dairy, and also soy. Don't like taste of oat, rice or coconut milks, But almond is ok. And there are times when milk is required and I use it in a protein pea protein smoothie- so really not missing nutritional value in the drink. It's not about protein levels, nutritional levels in respect to it being low in nutrition as the pea protein provides that. What else is there?

Aussie scientist SLAMS almond milk, calls it "the worst" and "nothing but expensive water"

Almond milk is a dairy-free, vegan substitute for cow's milk that has grown in popularity in recent years.

Many coffee drinkers prefer almond milk because of its creamy texture and nutty flavour, which can enhance the taste and texture of their favourite cuppa. Almond milk, according to some baristas, even steams and froths better than cow's milk, making it excellent for lattes and cappuccinos.

However, a well-known Aussie scientist has stunned his readers by claiming that almond milk is nutritionally inferior to other milk alternatives.

On a recent podcast, renowned author and scientist Karl Kruszelnicki, also popularly known as Dr Karl on social media, claimed that regular dairy milk, soy milk, and even peanut milk have significantly more nutrients than almond milk.

"Almonds are loaded with nutrition and you'd think almond milk would be good, but somehow they've managed to extract all the nutrition," he said, adding that the end result is essentially a "very expensive water", even going as far as calling it "the worst one out of all".

j5ECJEswHGum-QsRgVfc5z8-pjD2bwuazmo7N9v3vYjjkGivMYPB9cr9ey3DEmr8-EpWTxtlQKaQUGLiXJ0t-C3x3rU-mspl6DwMqUYY5sxNQ8D7Hy6Fx40aLGvi5zT1-bTPoItAsqKt4WlIzA

In recent years, the milk aisles of supermarkets have expanded with dairy and plant-based milk alternatives for lactose-intolerant consumers.

Almond milk is a tasty, low-calorie alternative to dairy that is produced by mixing almonds with water and then straining off the solid particles.

Almond milk usually contains only 39 calories, 3g of fat, and 1g of protein every 240mL, but soy milk contains 100 calories, 7g of protein, and 4g of fat per 240mL.

However, it is crucial to realise that some almond milk products may include added sugar.

Regular coffee drinkers and almond milk aficionados were equally astounded by the claims, while some explained that almond milk is their only option available.

"For those of us who can't tolerate dairy, the only alternatives are plant-based products like almond milk," one person said on social media.

Another user commented that the nutrient content is minimal because plant-based milk often has a low percentage of almonds.

"People don't drink almond milk for the nutritional value," a third user agreed and further defended the product, adding: "Lactose intolerance, lower carb content and some have lower calories than cow milk."

What about you, folks? Do you like your cuppa straight and black, or do you like it with milk? If so, what type of milk do you prefer? Do let us know in the comments!
Totally agree Dr Karl, it’s virtually just almond flavoured water with negligible nutritional value, total waste of money. There are plenty of other dairy alternatives for this who can’t have dairy! But typically if someone comes out & criticises certain peoples choices they take it as a personal swipe at them , even if that person happens to be a leading scientist who actually knows what he’s talking about!! 😉😉😉

I used to have a cows milk free diet (on Drs orders) and the only alternative then was soy milk. Unfortunately I hate the taste so drank everything without milk. Over the years I have gradually added dairy back into my diet but I have tried some of the newer plant based "milks".

I have not found one of them where I like the taste or texture . I did find that for me goat milk or sheep milk were good alternatives.

I have the greatest respect for Dr Karl and I am unsure which almond milk he is addressing however my wife uses AN almond milk due to allergies.
The product recommended to her was Pure Harvest 10% almond.
The manufacturer has discontinued that product but still makes a 7% version so my wife uses that one.
Opposition products contain as low as 2% so I'm unsure as to whether we can categorise all almond milk as minimal benefit.
I can't speak for the process but hopefully a higher almond content is better than lower ones.

I'm with Ricci if it doesn't come from a cow, goat, or sheep, don't call it milk. I drink full cream cow's milk, tried Soy but just don't like it. It is the reason why I don't drink those breakfast drinks like Up and Go and BOM, they contain soy milk and I can taste it. YUCK!!!!

Reactions: Ricci

I drink almond milk, rice milk and coconut milk. Why? Dairy milk gives me a gut ache and second if you have GERD do not drink dairy as high acid.

i always make my own almond milk or macadamia milk, tastes so much better than shop bought.
And would be nutritionally superior as you probably leave most of the pulverised nut fragments in the resultant liquid. Probably use a higher percentage of nuts per litre than commercial manufacturers as well?

Reactions: Ricci