Are your towels leaving you feeling less than fresh after use? Discover the reason why!

We all strive for towels that hold that fluffy texture when touched and have the proper absorbency to dry our bodies.

But have you ever wondered why your towels feel crunchy and don’t dry properly?

According to a mum named Ann Russell, the main purpose of towels is absorbency.

But unbeknownst to many, absorbency’s worst enemy is fabric softener. This means you need to consider other ways of making your towels smell fresh.

20230908_131155_0000.png
Fabric softeners are said to affect a towel’s absorbency negatively. Image source: rawpixel.com on Freepik.

Russell explained that towels that carry a scent after the wash are actually unclean towels.

This is because fabric softener clings to the fibres of a fabric, which is why you get that soft feeling and fresh scent—but it also stunts the towel's absorbency, making them less effective when drying you off.

So, what’s the solution?

Russell has a surprisingly simple solution: washing them without detergent every now and then. This helps to prevent residue build-up from detergent.

‘I do use detergent, but not every wash,’ she said.

‘I use detergent because my daughter uses things like fake tan, and sometimes [there are] things like cosmetics that get caught on the towel. So I do use detergent, but I don't use it every wash, because most of the things that get deposited on a towel will come off with plain water.’

Doing this should prevent odd odours and residue, which will keep them clean and absorbent.

But how do you get the soft and fluffy towel effect?

Russell advised hanging your towels out to dry, going out and giving them a shake every so often, and flipping them over.

By doing this, towel fibres that have become dense in the washing process loosen up a bit.

When your towels reach the point where they are nearly dry and just a bit damp on the seams, Russell suggests to throw them into the tumble dryer for 15 or 20 minutes to fluff them up. This should mean your towels are nice and soft and ready to be used again!

Russell also supports the use of budget-friendly and ever-so-reliable white vinegar as a substitute for fabric softener.

‘You can use vinegar as a substitute for fabric softener, and that works because if you've got minerals and slight hardness in the water, the vinegar helps disperse them,’ she said.

Vinegar helps disperse any minerals that may be present in your tap water, which prevents residue from sticking and keeps your towels soft.

You can watch Ann Russell’s full video below:

If you’re looking for alternatives that will make your towels (and even your clothes!) smelling great and feeling fresh on the skin, here are some homemade alternatives to fabric softeners.

One of our top picks is bicarb soda. This household staple is an incredible ally for your towels, helping soften the water and making your towels more absorbent. Just a half cup of bicarb soda to your regular wash can greatly impact your towels' condition by removing any build-up, leaving them smoother and more absorbent.

Another tried-and-tested DIY miracle is Wool Dryer Balls. The friction of these balls against your drying towels fluffs up the fibres, making them feel softer while decreasing their drying time.

And, regarding energy saving, hanging your towels to dry on a windy day helps fluff them naturally.
Key Takeaways
  • One mum shared tips on maintaining the absorbency and softness of towels and claimed fabric softener is the enemy of absorbency.
  • Ann Russell explained that towels with any scent after washing are unclean due to fabric softener clinging to the fibres, causing residue build-up and reducing absorbency.
  • She recommended washing towels without detergent occasionally to prevent residue build-up and to use detergent sparingly when washing towels with it.
  • She suggested shaking and flipping towels during the drying process to keep them fluffy and throwing them in the tumble dryer when nearly dry. She also endorsed using white vinegar as a substitute for fabric softener.
Do you have other tips on how to keep your towels fluffy and absorbent? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I use white vinegar in all my washes with my washing liquid as I find the clothes always smell fresh and it also helps clean not only the washing but the washing machine. I use white vinegar to clean everything in my house from floors to dusting ( mix vinegar with warm water).

I use white vinegar in all my washes with my washing liquid as I find the clothes always smell fresh and it also helps clean not only the washing but the washing machine. I use white vinegar to clean everything in my house from floors to dusting ( mix vinegar with warm water).
Yes I do too, have done for a long time now. White vinegar has so many uses.

Same here! I do, however, use Fabric Conditioner in the rinse cycle, and I line dry my Sheridan Towels.

I am happy to report that my towels are now 34 years old and still going strong. Absorbent, soft, thick and fluffy.
Jess

What quantity of vinegar do you use? Do you add it to your detergent to start with or in the fabric softener dispenser? Is your machine top or front loading because that would also make a difference to quantity. Thank you.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
We all strive for towels that hold that fluffy texture when touched and have the proper absorbency to dry our bodies.

But unbeknownst to many, absorbency’s worst enemy is fabric softener. This means you need to consider other ways of making your towels smell fresh.

View attachment 29466
Fabric softeners are said to affect a towel’s absorbency negatively. Image source: rawpixel.com on Freepik.

Russell explained that towels that carry a scent after the wash are actually unclean towels.

This is because fabric softener clings to the fibres of a fabric, which is why you get that soft feeling and fresh scent—but it also stunts the towel's absorbency, making them less effective when drying you off.

So, what’s the solution?

Russell has a surprisingly simple solution: washing them without detergent every now and then. This helps to prevent residue build-up from detergent.

‘I use detergent because my daughter uses things like fake tan, and sometimes [there are] things like cosmetics that get caught on the towel. So I do use detergent, but I don't use it every wash, because most of the things that get deposited on a towel will come off with plain water.’

Doing this should prevent odd odours and residue, which will keep them clean and absorbent.

Russell advised hanging your towels out to dry, going out and giving them a shake every so often, and flipping them over.

By doing this, towel fibres that have become dense in the washing process loosen up a bit.

When your towels reach the point where they are nearly dry and just a bit damp on the seams, Russell suggests to throw them into the tumble dryer for 15 or 20 minutes to fluff them up. This should mean your towels are nice and soft and ready to be used again!

Russell also supports the use of budget-friendly and ever-so-reliable white vinegar as a substitute for fabric softener.

‘You can use vinegar as a substitute for fabric softener, and that works because if you've got minerals and slight hardness in the water, the vinegar helps disperse them,’ she said.

Vinegar helps disperse any minerals that may be present in your tap water, which prevents residue from sticking and keeps your towels soft.

If you’re looking for alternatives that will make your towels (and even your clothes!) smelling great and feeling fresh on the skin, here are some homemade alternatives to fabric softeners.

One of our top picks is bicarb soda. This household staple is an incredible ally for your towels, helping soften the water and making your towels more absorbent. Just a half cup of bicarb soda to your regular wash can greatly impact your towels' condition by removing any build-up, leaving them smoother and more absorbent.

Another tried-and-tested DIY miracle is Wool Dryer Balls. The friction of these balls against your drying towels fluffs up the fibres, making them feel softer while decreasing their drying time.

And, regarding energy saving, hanging your towels to dry on a windy day helps fluff them naturally.
Key Takeaways

• One mum shared tips on maintaining the absorbency and softness of towels and claimed fabric softener is the enemy of absorbency.
  • Ann Russell explained that towels with any scent after washing are unclean due to fabric softener clinging to the fibres, causing residue build-up and reducing absorbency.
  • She recommended washing towels without detergent occasionally to prevent residue build-up and to use detergent sparingly when washing towels with it.
  • She suggested shaking and flipping towels during the drying process to keep them fluffy and throwing them in the tumble dryer when nearly dry. She also endorsed using white vinegar as a substitute for fabric softener.
Do you have other tips on how to keep your towels fluffy and absorbent? Share them with us in the comments below!

washing machine mechanic told me years ago we over wash our towels, most people exfoliate with washers, scrubbers etc, you are clean when you get out of the shower, so I don't use softener on them and I don't use as much detergent as it's suggested as he said you can use less, about every two or three washes I add some vinegar to the rinse..........works great

What quantity of vinegar do you use? Do you add it to your detergent to start with or in the fabric softener dispenser? Is your machine top or front loading because that would also make a difference to quantity. Thank you.
I use no name brand ( the cheapest ). I add it straight to the wash with detergent over the clothes. My washing machine is a top loader. Hope all this is helpful. NOTE, the colours don't run as I wash using cold water and my clothes are fine and clean doing this about 20 plus years

Reactions: Ricki and Larcol

View attachment 29466

So, what’s the solution?

Key Takeaways

HI..I have used Washing Soda in my wash for many years...for all my clothes..sheets etc...not just the towels...It certainly keeps all my clothes..jerseys etc in very good condition..Always very soft and fluffy for the towels.

I am a mere male MM I believe and I use washing powder not liquid. My questions are Does anyone have a preference and can I use white vinegar as a softener and when do I put it in? (Told you I was an MM).

View attachment 29466

So, what’s the solution?

Key Takeaways

Fabric softeners are bad for clothes and washing machines.

I am a mere male MM I believe and I use washing powder not liquid. My questions are Does anyone have a preference and can I use white vinegar as a softener and when do I put it in? (Told you I was an MM).
I also use powder, in a top loader, and have always used about a glassful of cheap homebrand white vinegar added just before the final rinse. I use half the recommended amount of powder fully dissolved in some hot water but I only wash with cold water. I believe the vinegar removes any soap which may be left on the clothes. I don't have a clothes dryer. The sun and wind are enough. I hope this helps.

Thank you, yes it has.
I also use powder, in a top loader, and have always used about a glassful of cheap homebrand white vinegar added just before the final rinse. I use half the recommended amount of powder fully dissolved in some hot water but I only wash with cold water. I believe the vinegar removes any soap which may be left on the clothes. I don't have a clothes dryer. The sun and wind are enough. I hope this helps.

View attachment 29466

So, what’s the solution?

Key Takeaways

I always use white vinegar as fabric softener & my towels are lovely & soft...

The only thing I use vinegar on is my fish and chips😁

• Haha