Apple Turnovers

compressed-374479814_849971439824241_4944449134622674326_n.jpeg
Image Credit: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Today’s blast from the past is quite a treat. Who remembers these?

A woman named Francine said, ‘I can still see little me looking longingly through the glass of the local cake shop window. Just reminiscing as I sip my lovely coffee and look forward to tasting this gastronomic delight.’

That makes two of us, Francine.

Do you have a favourite bakery treat? Tell us below!

If you have nostalgic images or musings, too, feel free to make a post!

Last edited:
Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored

View attachment 29403

According to a woman named Francine, who shared this in a forum, this humble pastry brought back memories of her childhood. ‘I can still see little me looking longingly through the glass of the local cake shop window,’ she said.

‘Just reminiscing as I sip my lovely coffee and look forward to tasting this gastronomic delight,’ she continued.

Did you enjoy these two at your favourite tuck shop? Tell us below!

where is the recipe please?

Reactions: Jarred Santos
You can get these in Coles and Woolies but be aware of the fruit content , it is almost non existent, in fact, sometimes if you find fruit you are amazed. Not a good product

I remember these and I loved them. I can still get them at my local cake shop that still has so many cakes and buns like I had in my childhood. They still taste the same as the recipes have been passed down to the new owners some years ago after the original owners sold up to retire after many years in their old fashioned cake shop. The new owners have updated the shop but kept all of the old favourites with the addition of lots of new treats.

View attachment 29403

A woman named Francine said, ‘I can still see little me looking longingly through the glass of the local cake shop window. Just reminiscing as I sip my lovely coffee and look forward to tasting this gastronomic delight.’

apple turnovers by coincidence

My favourite was Banbury Tarts…have an awesome little bakery 8 kilometers from my home, they make them. Definitely not the same size as the ones I remember, but the taste is spot on!!

• Wow
My local bakery still makes these and they taste just the same as when I was younger. My all time favourite are cream buns, local bakery makes them as well and they taste just the same as the ones I used to buy at high school in the 60s. I treat myself to one every month or so for old times sake.

• Love
Unfortunately they rarely use actual cream these days. Instead they use that mock cream that tastes like greasy sugar yuck 🤢
Same goes with chocolate eclairs....
My local bakery makes most items with a choice of fresh or mock cream which is good. I like both so doesn’t bother me.

• Love

View attachment 29403

On my way to work in the mid 60s, I would pass a very small bakery just as the apple turnovers were coming out of the oven. Resistance was futile!

A little while again my new girlfriend (met again after nearly 60 years) coerced me to go to Yamba to play croquet. Next day she suggested we take the ferry across to Iluka. Very pleasant. After a couple of hours of walking we came upon a little bakery. To my astonishment they had apple turnovers (just what I was wanting) but there was an even bigger surprise in store for me. The cream filling was bee-sting custard. What a treat !!!!

• Love