ALDI shoppers are confused over 'hidden fee' at checkout

There has been a heated discussion among confused ALDI customers on social media over a small, easy-to-overlook detail on a checkout sign and the 'hidden fees' that are added at the register.

In a popular Facebook group, an ALDI customer who went to the store complained that they were charged an extra fee when they used their debit card to make the purchase.

'THIS was the sign. Although it only says Visa and Mastercard, it also DISPLAYS the EFTPOS logo. (So maybe I just thought EFTPOS was included),' wrote the woman in her Facebook post, adding a photo of the sign in question.

It read: 'In order to continue to offer top quality at incredibly low prices - guaranteed, we advise that a 0.5 per cent surcharge will apply to all Visa or Mastercard transactions (including contactless transactions) to cover additional costs.'

At the bottom of the sign, you can also see the logos for Visa, Mastercard, and EFTPOS.

AfPNiJTXtIBbVxVLH6pCTjJ9ZvK1uPZ835pSrXgta_GaUxsIsR_adQrhWz1TvpG02EZy28GsVOA4OKsZAZuflLf1rrMVLzg6wMs7JI22K5440ADP4O0o3GaDGe1JIOsbtgE_1l5N_2DcztY9AnRB2WA

At some ALDI stores, the sign was hung high above the check-out area. Credit: 7News.

Before this change, ALDI shoppers were aware that tapping their debit cards at the register would result in a surcharge; however, if they inserted the card, the fee would be waived.

The fact that the new sign states that an additional charge will be applied to all transactions, however, led to confusion among regular customers.

'ALDI should not [have] put the EFTPOS logo on that sign,' one person wrote in the comments section. Another agreed and added, 'This definitely makes it sound like it's all transactions; I'm so confused.'

ALDI confirmed that there will not be a surcharge incurred for the transaction if the customer inserts their card and chooses the ‘savings’ option.

'All Visa and Mastercard transactions (credit account) are charged this fee regardless if a card is inserted or tapped,' the employee said. 'All EFTPOS (savings/cheque account) transactions do not get charged a fee regardless if the card is tapped or inserted.'

JB9-eKT-ARzNo0UEanx2bwdI9PndVzLqPVCHzhMQsX-q_QH0u6UETGnBS29Hhvk8goj1_ittDm50kYc775GkeYhYNkx819Md-z2oWH7d5M83RRaryT63geHABp3FObs7N-0ePbQn6llN-Mrp9sxDPr8

Shoppers are shocked that they are getting charged extra at the checkout. Credit: Reddit.

On ALDI's website, customers can find the following information about the surcharge.

'We also accept all major credit cards, except American Express and Diners Club. Please note, however, that there is a 0.5% surcharge on all credit card purchases to cover the cost of the service,' the website reads.

'ALDI offers Visa and MasterCard as payment methods for customers, as well as contactless transactions; however, there are very high costs associated with accepting these cards.'

'Rather than ALDI inflating prices across the board to compensate for the credit card acceptance costs (like most of the retailers do), ALDI instead allows customers to make the choice as to the payment method they prefer.'

'This allows customers who choose the lower cost method of payment to receive the direct benefit by way of lower prices.'

Now that you read it here, folks – make sure that you avoid paying with the Tap-and-Go method! Every saving, no matter how big or small the amount, counts these days!

Have you ever been in a similar situation where you were charged more at the register? Were you aware? Tell us about it in the comments!

Sponsored
There has been a heated discussion among confused ALDI customers on social media over a small, easy-to-overlook detail on a checkout sign and the 'hidden fees' that are added at the register.

In a popular Facebook group, an ALDI customer who went to the store complained that they were charged an extra fee when they used their debit card to make the purchase.

'THIS was the sign. Although it only says Visa and Mastercard, it also DISPLAYS the EFTPOS logo. (So maybe I just thought EFTPOS was included),' wrote the woman in her Facebook post, adding a photo of the sign in question.

It read: 'In order to continue to offer top quality at incredibly low prices - guaranteed, we advise that a 0.5 per cent surcharge will apply to all Visa or Mastercard transactions (including contactless transactions) to cover additional costs.'

At the bottom of the sign, you can also see the logos for Visa, Mastercard, and EFTPOS.

AfPNiJTXtIBbVxVLH6pCTjJ9ZvK1uPZ835pSrXgta_GaUxsIsR_adQrhWz1TvpG02EZy28GsVOA4OKsZAZuflLf1rrMVLzg6wMs7JI22K5440ADP4O0o3GaDGe1JIOsbtgE_1l5N_2DcztY9AnRB2WA

At some ALDI stores, the sign was hung high above the check-out area. Credit: 7News.

Before this change, ALDI shoppers were aware that tapping their debit cards at the register would result in a surcharge; however, if they inserted the card, the fee would be waived.

The fact that the new sign states that an additional charge will be applied to all transactions, however, led to confusion among regular customers.

'ALDI should not [have] put the EFTPOS logo on that sign,' one person wrote in the comments section. Another agreed and added, 'This definitely makes it sound like it's all transactions; I'm so confused.'

ALDI confirmed that there will not be a surcharge incurred for the transaction if the customer inserts their card and chooses the ‘savings’ option.

'All Visa and Mastercard transactions (credit account) are charged this fee regardless if a card is inserted or tapped,' the employee said. 'All EFTPOS (savings/cheque account) transactions do not get charged a fee regardless if the card is tapped or inserted.'

JB9-eKT-ARzNo0UEanx2bwdI9PndVzLqPVCHzhMQsX-q_QH0u6UETGnBS29Hhvk8goj1_ittDm50kYc775GkeYhYNkx819Md-z2oWH7d5M83RRaryT63geHABp3FObs7N-0ePbQn6llN-Mrp9sxDPr8

Shoppers are shocked that they are getting charged extra at the checkout. Credit: Reddit.

On ALDI's website, customers can find the following information about the surcharge.

'We also accept all major credit cards, except American Express and Diners Club. Please note, however, that there is a 0.5% surcharge on all credit card purchases to cover the cost of the service,' the website reads.

'ALDI offers Visa and MasterCard as payment methods for customers, as well as contactless transactions; however, there are very high costs associated with accepting these cards.'

'Rather than ALDI inflating prices across the board to compensate for the credit card acceptance costs (like most of the retailers do), ALDI instead allows customers to make the choice as to the payment method they prefer.'

'This allows customers who choose the lower cost method of payment to receive the direct benefit by way of lower prices.'

Now that you read it here, folks – make sure that you avoid paying with the Tap-and-Go method! Every saving, no matter how big or small the amount, counts these days!

Have you ever been in a similar situation where you were charged more at the register? Were you aware? Tell us about it in the comments!
I noticed it the first time I was in Aldi; so refused to use my card there and only use cash. Most seem to use their cards. Probably of no concern to them.

If I was a regular Aldi shopper I think I would go to the hole in the wall before going shopping as I don't usually deal with cash. As it is I only make it to an Aldi store about 4/5 times a year so I don't really object to paying the surcharge. At 0.5% it's a better return to leave the money in my account to get the interest and pay off my credit card once a month.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy
I used Aldi for the 1st time on Friday and didn't notice this sign:( however the inconvenience of having to go to both Aldi and Woolworths to get my groceries was annoying. I think, for my shopping habits, just going to Woolies and getting it delivered far outways the small benefit of going to Aldi. At least I have tried Aldi now.

It's not Aldi, it's your loving banks looking after their profits, a debit card is considered a credit card in some instances, if you have to push credit to get your debit card to pay or soetimes chq, hey presto you cop a bank fee, also sometimes the banks just consider it a credit card card, no idea why, ask the loving banks!

Reactions: A Paull and Ricci

This has always been the case in Aldi. They used to tell you at the checkout, when you pay for your items. I guess they guess everyone would know by now. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Ricci

'All EFTPOS (savings/cheque account) transactions do not get charged a fee regardless if the card is tapped or inserted.'
This is not true. With ANY card waved, the transaction is a CREDIT transaction irrespective of what your account actually is, always has been and can take time to appear in your account records. If you insert your card and choose SAVINGS then you won't be charged. Even if you choose the DEBIT option you will also be charged ( which I argued with Aldi about) but you should receive a warning on screen. Aldi only incurr or say they incurr card expensive transaction charges because of whom they choose to bank with. I had mobile eftpos as I was a tradie and got charged a flat minimal fee per month irrespective of my monthly turnover and there is even FREE eftpos for businesses nowadays also.

It's not Aldi, it's your loving banks looking after their profits, a debit card is considered a credit card in some instances, if you have to push credit to get your debit card to pay or soetimes chq, hey presto you cop a bank fee, also sometimes the banks just consider it a credit card card, no idea why, ask the loving banks!
But there’s no surcharge at Coles or Woolies, so I definitely do blame Aldi.

Reactions: A Paull and Ricci
But there’s no surcharge at Coles or Woolies, so I definitely do blame Aldi.
Of course it's Aldi. A debit card is a debit card using your money and a credit card is a credit card using credit. I have one of each card marked as such from the same bank. Inserting your card and choosing savings or cheque should be a debit transaction, but with Aldi's eftpos system only by choosing savings will you aviod the credit charge. Waving a card has always been a credit transaction with any eftpos supplier. I was a tradie with mobile eftpos through an eftpos company, not my bank. There are plenty of eftpos only suppliers out there so Aldi could get a better deal if in fact they are being charged heaps. My deal was a nominal monthly fee irrespctive of what my monthly turnover was and there are now companies offering a free eftpos service to customers, so no excuse Aldi. I'd love to know if you were able to also draw cash out with "their" system, never seen anyone do it.

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) sets out the costs that businesses can include when determining their reasonable costs of accepting payment types and the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) have monitoring and enforcement powers to ensure that all merchants do not excessively surcharge.
  • Businesses can charge a surcharge for paying by card, but the surcharge must not be more than what it costs the business to use that payment type.
  • If a business charges a payment surcharge, it must be able to prove the costs it is based on.
  • If there is no way for a consumer to pay without paying a surcharge, the business must include the surcharge in the displayed price.
What card does this apply to?
  • Mastercard® Debit and Prepaid
  • Mastercard Credit
  • Visa® Debit and Prepaid
  • Visa Credit
  • eftpos Debit and Prepaid
  • American Express® cards issued by Australian banks
  • UnionPay.
It does not apply to American Express cards not issued by Australian banks, JCB, Diners Club or Discover Card, as well as gift cards issued by a store.

There is also a ban on excessive payment surcharges.

This ban on excessive payment surcharges applies to:
  • Eftpos: debit and prepaid
  • MasterCard: credit, debit, and prepaid
  • Visa: credit, debit, and prepaid.
The payments the ban doesn't apply to:
  • BPAY
  • PayPal
  • Diners Club
  • American Express cards issued directly by American Express
  • taxi fares, whatever the payment type.