African Curry Chicken

African-coconut-chicken-curry_7.jpg
Image and recipe from: Recipetineats

This recipe is for all of those who like it hot or who wants spice in their life

My sons love this recipe by recipetineats and so does a couple of my daughters

Serves 4

Prep: 15minutes mins

Cook: 45minutes mins

Ingredients​

SEASONED CHICKEN:​

• 4 chicken thigh fillets , skin-on and bone-in
  • 4 chicken drumsticks
  • 3/4 tsp cooking salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

THE CURRY:​

• 2 tbsp vegetable, canola or other plain oil
  • 1 onion , finely diced
  • 3 garlic cloves , finely minced
  • 2 tsp ginger , finely minced
  • 1 tbsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp pure chilli powder or cayenne pepper , or reduce to taste
  • 400g coconut milk , full-fat
  • 400g crushed canned tomato
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice (sub apple cider vinegar)
  • 1/2 cup (lightly packed) coriander leaves (sub parsley or baby spinach, or omit)

SERVING:​

• Basmati rice or other rice of choice and flatbread to serve

Instructions​

• Season chicken – Pat chicken dry using paper towels then sprinkle with the salt and pepper

• Brown chicken – Heat oil in a large heavy based pot over high heat. Add the thighs, skin-side down, and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate (it will still be raw inside). Then brown the drumsticks as best you can. I do 3 sides, 2 minutes each side. Transfer to the plate.

• Sauté aromatics – Turn heat down to medium high. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute until softened. Add garlic and ginger, cook for 30 seconds. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli. Stir for 30 seconds.

• Sauce – Add coconut milk, tomato and salt. Stir, then return chicken into the pot (including juices on the plate). Submerge chicken as best you can.

• Simmer 30 min – Once the sauce comes to a simmer, reduce the heat so it’s bubbling gently. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the base doesn't catch.

• Finish & serve – Stir in lemon and half of the coriander. Lade into bowls and serve garnished with the rest of the coriander!

Recipe Notes:​

1. Coconut oil will give this extra coconut flavour, but you can use regular oil.

2. Chicken thighs and drumsticks are best because they stay juicy in the sauce simmer time required. Boneless thighs and breast will work but sauce flavour won’t be as good (see Ingredients section in post), but you can use them. Whole boneless thighs – sear per recipe then add back in for last 10 min of sauce simmer time. Breast – cut into bite size pieces, simmer only 5 min.

3. Pure chilli powder – not to be confused with US chili powder which is a spice mix. Pure chilli powder is spicy!
Control spiciness – just leave the cayenne / chilli out and stir in bit by bit at the end.

4. Coconut milk– Not all coconut milks are created equal! Economical ones are more water and less coconut. I use Ayam (89% coconut). Low fat coconut milk will work but sauce will be thinner and not as good coconut flavour. You can thicken with a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with splash of water, add with coconut.

5. Leftovers will keep for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
This recipe is for all of those who like it hot or who wants spice in their life

Serves 4

View attachment 38663

Ingredients​

• 4 chicken drumsticks
  • 3/4 tsp cooking salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

• 1 onion , finely diced
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup (lightly packed) coriander leaves (sub parsley or baby spinach, or omit)

Instructions​

• Season chicken – Pat chicken dry using paper towels then sprinkle with the salt and pepper

• Brown chicken – Heat oil in a large heavy based pot over high heat. Add the thighs, skin-side down, and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate (it will still be raw inside). Then brown the drumsticks as best you can. I do 3 sides, 2 minutes each side. Transfer to the plate.

• Sauté aromatics – Turn heat down to medium high. Add the onion and cook for 1 minute until softened. Add garlic and ginger, cook for 30 seconds. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli. Stir for 30 seconds.

• Sauce – Add coconut milk, tomato and salt. Stir, then return chicken into the pot (including juices on the plate). Submerge chicken as best you can.

• Simmer 30 min – Once the sauce comes to a simmer, reduce the heat so it’s bubbling gently. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the base doesn't catch.

• Finish & serve – Stir in lemon and half of the coriander. Lade into bowls and serve garnished with the rest of the coriander!

1. Coconut oil will give this extra coconut flavour, but you can use regular oil.

2. Chicken thighs and drumsticks are best because they stay juicy in the sauce simmer time required. Boneless thighs and breast will work but sauce flavour won’t be as good (see Ingredients section in post), but you can use them. Whole boneless thighs – sear per recipe then add back in for last 10 min of sauce simmer time. Breast – cut into bite size pieces, simmer only 5 min.

3. Pure chilli powder – not to be confused with US chili powder which is a spice mix. Pure chilli powder is spicy!
Control spiciness – just leave the cayenne / chilli out and stir in bit by bit at the end.

4. Coconut milk– Not all coconut milks are created equal! Economical ones are more water and less coconut. I use Ayam (89% coconut). Low fat coconut milk will work but sauce will be thinner and not as good coconut flavour. You can thicken with a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with splash of water, add with coconut.

You should try tomato kasundi if your family likes hot and spicy I used to use it in tassie it’s delicious. 😍

Reactions: Nichola
You should try tomato kasundi if your family likes hot and spicy I used to use it in tassie it’s delicious. 😍
I have actually made tomato kasundi and kept it in a jar, my son would put it on and in everything including cheese brevilles. I stopped making it as I thought he was having too much off it

I actually think that boy ( 24 years old) has no taste buds left

I have actually made tomato kasundi and kept it in a jar, my son would put it on and in everything including cheese brevilles. I stopped making it as I thought he was having too much off it

I actually think that boy ( 24 years old) has no taste buds left
🤣🤣too funny.

Reactions: Bridgit
View attachment 38663
Image and recipe from: Recipetineats

Serves 4

Ingredients​

• 4 chicken drumsticks
  • 3/4 tsp cooking salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

• 1 onion , finely diced
  • 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt

Instructions​