Skipton

Feb 2, 2022
A dog walks into a butcher shop

A dog walks into a butcher shop with a purse strapped around his neck.
He walks up to the meat case and calmly sits there until it's his turn to be waited on.
A man, who was already in the butcher shop, finished his purchase and noticed the dog.
The butcher leaned over the counter and asked the dog what it wanted today.
The dog put its paw on the glass case in front of the ground beef, and the butcher said,
'How many pounds?' The dog barked twice, so the butcher made a package of two pounds ground beef.
He then said, 'Anything else?' The dog pointed to the pork chops, and the butcher said,
'How many?' The dog barked four times, and the butcher made up a package of four pork chops.
The dog walked around behind the counter, so the butcher could get at the purse and take out
the appropriate amount of money before tying the two packages of meat around the dog's neck.
The man, who had been watching all of this, decided to follow the dog.
The dog walked for several blocks and then walked up to a house where
it began to scratch the door to be let in. As the owner opened the door, the man called to the owner,
'That's a really smart dog you have there.
''He's not really all that smart, ' the owner replied. '

This is the second time this week he forgot his key. '

He walks up to the meat case and calmly sits there until it's his turn to be waited on.
A man, who was already in the butcher shop, finished his purchase and noticed the dog.
The dog put its paw on the glass case in front of the ground beef, and the butcher said,
'How many pounds?' The dog barked twice, so the butcher made a package of two pounds ground beef.
He then said, 'Anything else?' The dog pointed to the pork chops, and the butcher said,
'How many?' The dog barked four times, and the butcher made up a package of four pork chops.

The dog walked around behind the counter, so the butcher could get at the purse and take out
the appropriate amount of money before tying the two packages of meat around the dog's neck.

it began to scratch the door to be let in. As the owner opened the door, the man called to the owner,

Heard it b4 but great to revisit.

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
Saw a clip a while ago of a dog in China who did the shopping. Had a basket and when he went to the markets the traders knew what he wanted and took the appropriate amount of money and gave him the change. Was absolutely so cute!!

Here is the link.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTct5Fy4crM

Lol what a smart dog, and the owner thinks the dog is not smart enough/ Hahaha

Reactions: Joyem and JayKay
My fathers mother Nan Mary had a boarder collie dog called Laddie, when I was young in the late 50's early 60's. Nan would send Laddie to the Co-Op grocery store, one hundred an fifty yards away, in the village of Euxton, Lancashire England. The shop keeper knew if Laddie turned up and sat at the door of the shop, the shop keeper would take out the long rope end of twist tobacco, out of a glass jar and, wrap the rope tobacco around his neck one turn. He would then cut that length with a pen knife, which would weigh two ounces, wrap it in aluminum foil, put it in Laddies mouth when he would trot home, to my grand father Frank. He would then cut a snib of tobacco off and rub it in his hands, to put in his smoking pipe.
If Nan wanted a quarter pound of butter or a two pound bag of sugar, she would put a note in a little wicker basket, putting the handle in Laddie's mouth and send him of to the store. Laddie would scratch on the door and the shop keeper, would put whatever the note said in the basket, in Laddie's mouth and send him home. The shop keeper would put these cost's, on Nan's slate account, which Nan would pay when next in the shop, usually at the weekend. As a kid Laddie and I were thick as thieves. When I was ten years old Laddies was run over by a car and killed, I was heart broken! Laddie may be gone, but is never forgotten!

Last edited:
My fathers mother Nan Mary had a boarder collie dog called Laddie, when I was young in the late 50's early 60's. Nan would send Laddie to the Co-Op grocery store, one hundred an fifty yards away, in the village of Euxton, Lancashire England. The shop keeper knew if Laddie turned up and sat at the door of the shop, the shop keeper would take out the long rope end of twist tobacco, out of a glass jar and, wrap the rope tobacco around his neck one turn. He would then cut that length with a pen knife, which would weigh two ounces, wrap it in aluminum foil, put it in Laddies mouth when he would trot home, to my grand father Frank. He would then cut a snib of tobacco off and rub it in his hands, to put in his smoking pipe.
If Nan wanted a quarter pound of butter or a two pound bag of sugar, she would put a note in a little wicker basket, putting the handle in Laddie's mouth and send him of to the store. Laddie would scratch on the door and the shop keeper, would put whatever the note said in the basket, in Laddie's mouth and send him home. The shop keeper would put these cost's, on Nan's slate account, which Nan would pay when next in the shop, usually at the weekend. As a kid Laddie and I were thick as thieves. When I was ten years old Laddies was run over by a car and killed, I was heart broken! Laddie may be gone, but is never forgotten!
What a clever dog, what a sweet story, sad to see it end that way. You must have been heart broken