7 money-saving tips to combat soaring inflation and interest rates

As the cost of living skyrockets, many more Australians are becoming worried about the affordability of basic necessities. There’s no denying that everyone is clutching onto their wallets tighter as inflation and interest rates hike up, completely out of our control.

If you can relate, here are seven popular money-saving strategies that Aussies swear by to combat the rising costs of… Well, nearly everything.

JDTkBELlkhHP95-jolC9YZzPOTlg3F_S5j4lBKET6yMlY_qGGMrj12Zyc2DZjyz6Q_IPI_j3-X2NcfLoNjz_tSymwdDdmNDf8RGnB53fKnpHyVPoB-n4iGiDH59oLPgcspOJQgXUvXWkihY3VuiGEXs

Bundle up and swap books! Source: The Pioneer Woman

1. Small changes make a huge impact

For one savvy shopper, Kate Reynolds, small changes made all the difference. She shared that she opts to use loads of blankets to save on heating costs and engages in ‘book swaps’ with her friends.

‘I read a lot, so I was spending a lot on books. Now, I share them with other friends and use the library,’ she said.

‘I also light candles in the house to give the illusion of heat and warmth. I swear by it. And it makes the house feel nice and cosy.’

She added spending her holidays camping with her husband. ‘Initially, it was expensive to get all the gear, but now we have it all. Our camping holidays are cheap as we just need food, fuel, and firewood. You can pick up lots of camping stuff second-hand.’

‘I learned how to weave so I can make wall hangings as gifts for friends and family, rather than splashing out loads of cash.’ she continued.

tX9Rm2wfIvlNpIaNRQZ5Biimq7e1qwpWwVCXIa3Zx3GhfYX9PrylHjOmAPgxwQMdfKSizA2KB6ANl2AnVvf_Gj7IzpN3jPw4602fDU21t7p8XDV9FwdnhHhYyiVzb8Mw_FvPi1jShHNXo_pNiEMMRKg

Avoid rising petrol prices entirely. Source: Domain

2. Skip using the car

We all got a front row seat to witnessing the prices of petrol go through the roof, so it’s better to avoid using your vehicle completely if you can. Use public transport, walk, or ride a bike instead! It not only helps save the environment but also keeps you active.

In addition to Kate’s little ways to keep her expenses down, she also implemented a 30-minute walking rule.

‘If it takes 30 minutes, I’ll walk. It’s great exercise and saves on fuel and public transport costs.’

MauyPMwN1rf7nV124RDt481Ti9U0bqpBrIh_qB1VPQrZ52i4OQMt_M_QbA2DIC3Shewz_-GG30xRDRggLfNoEraF5N7epl1VkZ9xsTnKEvMmSrzMxA1TMAWIjgUEQHQH_tfuoEe3sak3CyBPre-7RZA

Bring out your inner barista! Source: The Herald

3. Coffee cutbacks

Another frugal shopper and her husband, Jaimie and Matt Abbott, analysed the total amount they have spent on coffees over the past year. Needless to say, they were gobsmacked.

‘We were buying a takeaway coffee each–twice a day. When we reviewed our budget across the year we had spent over $7,000 on coffee,’ said the mum-of-two.

To drag their expenses down, they decided to buy a high-end coffee machine and steer clear of take-aways.

‘We spent $1,400 on a coffee machine and we now get all of our coffee at home. I also bought a coffee warmer, which keeps coffee warm for hours. I fill this up before I leave home for work,’ she said.

Even though spending $1,400 for a coffee machine sounds counter-productive, the couple claimed that they have already made back the cost of the machine in savings in just two months.

M3mo6pKwNFXXuNlmcHT1-34Kysz91amaGaD37VO3cJpDC8tM-AUPOXdXebWT1aVURqd3vcPa_KhZPTXTmA_cDdArwYTYQ5-VTLOAkl58JgUdRBxnGfuAatKQLVY_2qfUmXKUxv1A7CNYe-kDI2IBRZw

Grab those essentials now! Source: Women’s Weekly

4. Shop smart

When buying non-perishable goods, including toilet paper, detergents, etc, consider buying them in bulk (when they are on sale) to save a few more bucks in the long run.

Kate shared that she plans all their meals for the week and does a big shop to ensure that the fridge is stocked and they don’t get tempted to get takeaways.

One more thrifty shopper, Linda Tran, said she saved roughly 60 per cent of their food bills by simply cooking meals at home.

‘This can save a ton of money rather than it being wasted on takeaways. I’ve also learned the fun skills of cooking. My partner and I have saved so much.’

Similarly, Abbott bought a $20 slow cooker to make the job easier, cheaper, and just as delicious as a takeaway meal.

‘We hardly ever get takeaways anymore. As much as we love takeaways, our slow cooker has been amazing and we've made delicious slow-cooked lamb, brisket and chicken curries.’ she said.

With grocery prices surging, millions of Australians have opted to cook their meals at home as a way to cut their expenses.

YYMjLcvXKmmnErZq4j9RsoKtBuIie3Cnm3c5CW9ZK3_lARYXUT5KLkcYhBMVRv4OVwlTtmwhkNoZr6ClmqPLfel-t3EY0laApKjkrRnDpfZ72UL4ZnqpRTwYxGehzZBO6x0RvclyN__4JDM-2Q7bXzI

Where is your money going? Source: Unsplash

5. Regularly review your cash flow

At just 27 years old, Tran owns three properties and understands that brushing up on her cash flow is the key to keeping her finances in check. In fact, it’s her number one money-saving tip!

‘Take out your notebook, app, or spreadsheet and calculate what’s on your plate. I normally review my cash flows every quarter. Then, I adjust and reallocate my funds accordingly to suit my expenses,’ she said.

Tran also likes to pay off her small debts first. She doesn’t own a credit card, but she does have a HECS loan.

‘The indexation rate for HECS loans has risen to a whopping 3.9 per cent for 2022, compared to last year at 0.6 per cent.’

‘No one likes a lurking debt that seems to never go away,’ she said.

RkYqhXFbCL1u_U6EV0zEd9PhNrCFgbmp_PTuWPOGz4K0hI3PChnVgWu2hZ-gKIRSCI5tC1r7JV8PV18qFTqW660IDrs57uDDMRyfJCAzVnaaAr9ph0_0JmgegbqP7qApxrBRPSGb_fVnaOGDvP-bISY

Don’t be afraid to venture out. Source: Unsplash

6. Shop around to find the best deals

As part of Tran’s regular cash flow review, she also checks her home loan.

‘It's really helpful, given the stark lifts in interest rates recently. I shop around and am in the middle of negotiating a better deal with various banks.’

Greg Mawer FCPA and director of Accumulate Accountants agrees that anyone with a mortgage should shop around for a better deal.

‘The loyalty tax is real – it’s the cost of being lazy. I find it strange that people are happy to wait in line for 20 minutes to save $10 on petrol, but they won’t invest a few hours to potentially save tens of thousands on their mortgage.’

If you have savings, now is also a good time to shop around.

‘There are high savings accounts offering rates in a low three per cent range and term deposits in the fours.’

This strategy can also be applied to everyday items. The same set of goods can have varying prices at different stores, so it always pays to look around online and save.

OoVCCjUxIv6sYyDR0dz3NR0xDKNEmK8j6YydY7oO6D7etA_4USnvXpJEXsqZzyQzauIzxvSgKPRVIPQiTr7fFh8di4cJPR9hqvnDu1N7YgRIB0UxWwc0apu7a-liKexHxBsh7xi4iLDLI2xyn2EBB8Q

If you’re good at something, sell it! Source: Unsplash

7. Take up a side hustle

A side hustle can also help you cope with the rising cost of living too.

Tran has started dabbling in shares to build her portfolio. ‘Why live below your means when you can expand them? Look for a side hustle and take on something you enjoy.’ she added.

There you have it, frugal queens and kings! Do you have any good money-saving tricks up your sleeve? Share them with us in the comments!

Learn more money-saving tips by watching the video below:

Source: Invest With Queenie

Reactions: Ezzy, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Even though spending $1,400 for a coffee machine sounds counter-productive, the couple claimed that they have already made back the cost of the machine in savings in just two months.
Holey moley...THAT's a damn lot of coffees in only 2 months!! I make myself 2 per day with my pod machine (which was FREE from Nespresso after buying a certain amount of pods...I even have a free spare as a backup) I certainly don't feel the need to have an expensive machine that's a grinder and a frother in one!

$1,400 on a coffee maker!
$700 month on coffee!!
OMG, that is seriously off the charts crazy.
I had to figure out the math on this just to know.
That's $23.33 a day on coffee.
Over 16 hours awake, that's $1.45 every waking hour of every week of every month of every year of every decade.
Total addiction or insanity.
Before the coffee maker (not including the actual coffee and accoutrements) that's $8,400 a year or $84,000 every 10 years. Geez Louise!!!🤦‍♀️
I suppose the $1,400 coffee maker does make sense for that person. It's still seriously nuts. I'm glad I never liked coffee.

Maybe the 16 waking hours a day is a delusional guess. I mean really, how much sleep does a coffee addict that bad get? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennie
I was spending a fortune on cat litter from Woolies until my brother very kindly took me to Fresh and Save here in Queensland. Wow 4 times the amount of litter for 1/4 the price in Woolies. If my brother is prepared to we are going to do it more often. We also tried a produce store where it was about the same price as Fresh and Save, the only trouble with it was the bags are 25kg which is heavy for me to get up stairs at nearly 70.. I certainly don't waste money on coffee when I am out. I am glad I am a tea drinker and have it at home.;)

Reactions: Ezzy
As the cost of living skyrockets, many more Australians are becoming worried about the affordability of basic necessities. There’s no denying that everyone is clutching onto their wallets tighter as inflation and interest rates hike up, completely out of our control.

If you can relate, here are seven popular money-saving strategies that Aussies swear by to combat the rising costs of… Well, nearly everything.

JDTkBELlkhHP95-jolC9YZzPOTlg3F_S5j4lBKET6yMlY_qGGMrj12Zyc2DZjyz6Q_IPI_j3-X2NcfLoNjz_tSymwdDdmNDf8RGnB53fKnpHyVPoB-n4iGiDH59oLPgcspOJQgXUvXWkihY3VuiGEXs

Bundle up and swap books! Source: The Pioneer Woman

1. Small changes make a huge impact

For one savvy shopper, Kate Reynolds, small changes made all the difference. She shared that she opts to use loads of blankets to save on heating costs and engages in ‘book swaps’ with her friends.

‘I read a lot, so I was spending a lot on books. Now, I share them with other friends and use the library,’ she said.

‘I also light candles in the house to give the illusion of heat and warmth. I swear by it. And it makes the house feel nice and cosy.’

She added spending her holidays camping with her husband. ‘Initially, it was expensive to get all the gear, but now we have it all. Our camping holidays are cheap as we just need food, fuel, and firewood. You can pick up lots of camping stuff second-hand.’

‘I learned how to weave so I can make wall hangings as gifts for friends and family, rather than splashing out loads of cash.’ she continued.

tX9Rm2wfIvlNpIaNRQZ5Biimq7e1qwpWwVCXIa3Zx3GhfYX9PrylHjOmAPgxwQMdfKSizA2KB6ANl2AnVvf_Gj7IzpN3jPw4602fDU21t7p8XDV9FwdnhHhYyiVzb8Mw_FvPi1jShHNXo_pNiEMMRKg

Avoid rising petrol prices entirely. Source: Domain

2. Skip using the car

We all got a front row seat to witnessing the prices of petrol go through the roof, so it’s better to avoid using your vehicle completely if you can. Use public transport, walk, or ride a bike instead! It not only helps save the environment but also keeps you active.

In addition to Kate’s little ways to keep her expenses down, she also implemented a 30-minute walking rule.

‘If it takes 30 minutes, I’ll walk. It’s great exercise and saves on fuel and public transport costs.’

MauyPMwN1rf7nV124RDt481Ti9U0bqpBrIh_qB1VPQrZ52i4OQMt_M_QbA2DIC3Shewz_-GG30xRDRggLfNoEraF5N7epl1VkZ9xsTnKEvMmSrzMxA1TMAWIjgUEQHQH_tfuoEe3sak3CyBPre-7RZA

Bring out your inner barista! Source: The Herald

3. Coffee cutbacks

Another frugal shopper and her husband, Jaimie and Matt Abbott, analysed the total amount they have spent on coffees over the past year. Needless to say, they were gobsmacked.

‘We were buying a takeaway coffee each–twice a day. When we reviewed our budget across the year we had spent over $7,000 on coffee,’ said the mum-of-two.

To drag their expenses down, they decided to buy a high-end coffee machine and steer clear of take-aways.

‘We spent $1,400 on a coffee machine and we now get all of our coffee at home. I also bought a coffee warmer, which keeps coffee warm for hours. I fill this up before I leave home for work,’ she said.

M3mo6pKwNFXXuNlmcHT1-34Kysz91amaGaD37VO3cJpDC8tM-AUPOXdXebWT1aVURqd3vcPa_KhZPTXTmA_cDdArwYTYQ5-VTLOAkl58JgUdRBxnGfuAatKQLVY_2qfUmXKUxv1A7CNYe-kDI2IBRZw

Grab those essentials now! Source: Women’s Weekly

4. Shop smart

When buying non-perishable goods, including toilet paper, detergents, etc, consider buying them in bulk (when they are on sale) to save a few more bucks in the long run.

Kate shared that she plans all their meals for the week and does a big shop to ensure that the fridge is stocked and they don’t get tempted to get takeaways.

One more thrifty shopper, Linda Tran, said she saved roughly 60 per cent of their food bills by simply cooking meals at home.

‘This can save a ton of money rather than it being wasted on takeaways. I’ve also learned the fun skills of cooking. My partner and I have saved so much.’

Similarly, Abbott bought a $20 slow cooker to make the job easier, cheaper, and just as delicious as a takeaway meal.

‘We hardly ever get takeaways anymore. As much as we love takeaways, our slow cooker has been amazing and we've made delicious slow-cooked lamb, brisket and chicken curries.’ she said.

With grocery prices surging, millions of Australians have opted to cook their meals at home as a way to cut their expenses.

YYMjLcvXKmmnErZq4j9RsoKtBuIie3Cnm3c5CW9ZK3_lARYXUT5KLkcYhBMVRv4OVwlTtmwhkNoZr6ClmqPLfel-t3EY0laApKjkrRnDpfZ72UL4ZnqpRTwYxGehzZBO6x0RvclyN__4JDM-2Q7bXzI

Where is your money going? Source: Unsplash

5. Regularly review your cash flow

At just 27 years old, Tran owns three properties and understands that brushing up on her cash flow is the key to keeping her finances in check. In fact, it’s her number one money-saving tip!

‘Take out your notebook, app, or spreadsheet and calculate what’s on your plate. I normally review my cash flows every quarter. Then, I adjust and reallocate my funds accordingly to suit my expenses,’ she said.

Tran also likes to pay off her small debts first. She doesn’t own a credit card, but she does have a HECS loan.

‘The indexation rate for HECS loans has risen to a whopping 3.9 per cent for 2022, compared to last year at 0.6 per cent.’

‘No one likes a lurking debt that seems to never go away,’ she said.

RkYqhXFbCL1u_U6EV0zEd9PhNrCFgbmp_PTuWPOGz4K0hI3PChnVgWu2hZ-gKIRSCI5tC1r7JV8PV18qFTqW660IDrs57uDDMRyfJCAzVnaaAr9ph0_0JmgegbqP7qApxrBRPSGb_fVnaOGDvP-bISY

Don’t be afraid to venture out. Source: Unsplash

6. Shop around to find the best deals

As part of Tran’s regular cash flow review, she also checks her home loan.

‘It's really helpful, given the stark lifts in interest rates recently. I shop around and am in the middle of negotiating a better deal with various banks.’

Greg Mawer FCPA and director of Accumulate Accountants agrees that anyone with a mortgage should shop around for a better deal.

‘The loyalty tax is real – it’s the cost of being lazy. I find it strange that people are happy to wait in line for 20 minutes to save $10 on petrol, but they won’t invest a few hours to potentially save tens of thousands on their mortgage.’

If you have savings, now is also a good time to shop around.

‘There are high savings accounts offering rates in a low three per cent range and term deposits in the fours.’

This strategy can also be applied to everyday items. The same set of goods can have varying prices at different stores, so it always pays to look around online and save.

OoVCCjUxIv6sYyDR0dz3NR0xDKNEmK8j6YydY7oO6D7etA_4USnvXpJEXsqZzyQzauIzxvSgKPRVIPQiTr7fFh8di4cJPR9hqvnDu1N7YgRIB0UxWwc0apu7a-liKexHxBsh7xi4iLDLI2xyn2EBB8Q

If you’re good at something, sell it! Source: Unsplash

7. Take up a side hustle

A side hustle can also help you cope with the rising cost of living too.

Tran has started dabbling in shares to build her portfolio. ‘Why live below your means when you can expand them? Look for a side hustle and take on something you enjoy.’ she added.

There you have it, frugal queens and kings! Do you have any good money-saving tricks up your sleeve? Share them with us in the comments!

Learn more money-saving tips by watching the video below:

Source: Invest With Queenie

Very sound ideas for saving $'s & l think with today's envoironment, unless we have a money tree, saving at every opportunity is everyone's aim.